What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection Volume 3 (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wonder what aspect ratio FROM HERE TO ETERNITY will get?

It was also released 1.85 and stereo 3 channel sound.

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY Disc Breakdown
  • 4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
    • Dolby Atmos English audio
    • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Original Mono DTS-HD Master Audio

1660482456973.png

082253.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was also released 1.85 and stereo 3 channel sound.

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY Disc Breakdown
  • 4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
    • Dolby Atmos English audio
    • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Original Mono DTS-HD Master Audio

View attachment 148621

View attachment 148622
They started filming this movie in early March, 1953 and finished the movie in 8 weeks. I think the correct aspect ratio is 1.37.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
They started filming this movie in early March, 1953 and finished the movie in 8 weeks. I think the correct aspect ratio is 1.37.

Yes, it is fine. I just wanted people to know that it was released widescreen even though it wasn't filmed that way. Also the original sound was not mono.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Has Julie Kirgo written the booklet again?++

The extra features on this seem really good, including complete movies and even a miniseries I've never seen before.

I have the first two sets and have really enjoyed them, and I plan to get this one as well.

The only movie I have on blu-ray from this set is the Twilight Time release to To Sir, With Love.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yes, it is fine. I just wanted people to know that it was released widescreen even though it wasn't filmed that way. Also the original sound was not mono.
However the original 3-channel stereo tracks are considered lost, which is why the mono mix is considered the only surviving “original” mix. The 5.1 and Atmos mixes are not original.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
Annie? One of the worst stage to film musicals ever made?
Where’s Funny Girl?
I concur but there are those who love the film version… After seeing Broadway originals Dorothy Loudon, Reid Shelton, Andrea McArdle, Laurie Beechman and the under-rated Bob Fitch (Pennies from Heaven!) as Rooster it was a far fall to the film for me. Even with actors I love in the cast and John Houston being a great director. As Arthur Laurent’s said, “You have to have the musical (theater) in your bones.”

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
40 years later ,and still the "Annie" bashing...sad, really. Fun little film. Blame all the missteps not on John Huston, but producer Ray Stark - he thought he could do BETTER with the material. Hey, if TCM felt it was worth showing at the festival in the spring this year - then it's a classic. Huston saved the film with the reshoots and studio imposed tight editing. (The original cut was 2 1/2 hours long)

Plus the poor Stark was obsessed with doing an non-musical adventure follow-up for a decade. Keep Aileen Quinn under contract till her early teens, (Sources vary how long - Mid 1984, Mid-1985 or Mid-1986) Films was in turn-around twice, 3 different scripts/concepts. Last one in 1993 with Patrick Stewart as Warbucks - fell apart due to his 18 month commitment to the final season of STAR TREK:TNG and ST:GENERATONS. Funding and locations were set, a new Annie was being cast. Stark wanted to shoot earlier, but Steward was unavailable due to Season 6.

Stark retires in 1983 (Heart Attack?) , a year an half later, the TV division of Sony makes a TV movie-Direct to Video on the Cheap in the. U.S. Stark Personally holds the film sequel rights, so he got paid for his rights, and executive producer credit for "Cashing the Check" - No input and none of his scripts used. (Much like Glen Larson on The revival of "Battlestar: Galactica")

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I am definitely purchasing this boxed set if only for "To Sir, With Love" and the 1979 mini-series version of "From Here to Eternity" starring Natalie Wood.

This set is overflowing with supplemental features!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
As far as "Annie" is concerned, despite the liberties taken with the source material it has gained a strong following and is now considered (to the chagrin of Broadway purists) a film classic. Is it a perfect film? No. Is it enjoyable on its own terms? In my humble opinion: Yes - there are many things in this film that saved it from being a complete and utter disaster.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I concur but there are those who love the film version… After seeing Broadway originals Dorothy Loudon, Reid Shelton, Andrea McArdle, Laurie Beechman and the under-rated Bob Fitch (Pennies from Heaven!) as Rooster it was a far fall to the film for me. Even with actors I love in the cast and John Houston being a great director. As Arthur Laurent’s said, “You have to have the musical (theater) in your bones.”

40 years later ,and still the "Annie" bashing...sad, really. Fun little film. Blame all the missteps not on John Huston, but producer Ray Stark - he thought he could do BETTER with the material. Hey, if TCM felt it was worth showing at the festival in the spring this year - then it's a classic. Huston saved the film with the reshoots and studio imposed tight editing. (The original cut was 2 1/2 hours long)

Plus the poor Stark was obsessed with doing an non-musical adventure follow-up for a decade. Keep Aileen Quinn under contract till her early teens, (Sources vary how long - Mid 1984, Mid-1985 or Mid-1986) Films was in turn-around twice, 3 different scripts/concepts. Last one in 1993 with Patrick Stewart as Warbucks - fell apart due to his 18 month commitment to the final season of STAR TREK:TNG and ST:GENERATONS. Funding and locations were set, a new Annie was being cast. Stark wanted to shoot earlier, but Steward was unavailable due to Season 6.

Stark retires in 1983 (Heart Attack?) , a year an half later, the TV division of Sony makes a TV movie-Direct to Video on the Cheap in the. U.S. Stark Personally holds the film sequel rights, so he got paid for his rights, and executive producer credit for "Cashing the Check" - No input and none of his scripts used. (Much like Glen Larson on The revival of "Battlestar: Galactica")

As far as "Annie" is concerned, despite the liberties taken with the source material it has gained a strong following and is now considered (to the chagrin of Broadway purists) a film classic. Is it a perfect film? No. Is it enjoyable on its own terms? In my humble opinion: Yes - there are many things in this film that saved it from being a complete and utter disaster.
Sony is marketing these films as “ Acclaimed” and “Award Winning” which Annie is definitely not. It was universally panned. Someone please show me an award or rave review this film ever received. Thanks.
Forget the fact that it deviated from the stage version. The entire movie falls flat in fact Disney I believe remade it for TV which was actually better!
Funny Girl on the other is both acclaimed and award winning and currently on Amazon prime in 4K Dolby Vision.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Sony is marketing these films as “ Acclaimed” and “Award Winning” which Annie is definitely not. It was universally panned. Someone please show me an award or rave review this film ever received. Thanks.
Forget the fact that it deviated from the stage version. The entire movie falls flat in fact Disney I believe remade it for TV which was actually better!
Funny Girl on the other is both acclaimed and award winning and currently on Amazon prime in 4K Dolby Vision.

With each of the previous two sets, one or two of the inclusions were from popular votes by consumers. Have you considered that that might be the case with respect to Annie?

At any rate, it's clear that you hate Annie and love Funny Girl. Continuing to whine about this here isn't going to help.

I'm not happy about having a copy of Annie in my collection, either -- though admittedly, it adds a title to my collection of John Huston films that I wouldn't have bothered to pick up otherwise -- but since both of the previous two sets included films I wouldn't have bought individually, I consider it just an unfortunate fact of the collecting life that one has to accept and move on.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I remember seeing Annie when it opened 40 years ago. It seemed so-so and I haven't seen it since, but maybe I'll like it better with this release. Who knows where the time goes....(Judy Collins, 1968):

Anyway, the impressive bonus features on this set show that Columbia/Sony cares about fans. They also know how to do 4K/UHD right. And the slim hardcover books that these come with these sets are a real treat. Hope Julie Kirgo is writing this one too.

Is there a wish list somewhere for Volume 4? Funny Girl, Little Women (1994), The China Syndrome, etc, etc.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't think any of the films in volume 2 have been released individually yet. Perhaps some will be this fall after volume 3 comes out.

For volume 1 individual 4K:
Lawrence of Arabia (steelbook) Seems sold out and only available from 3rd parties at high price.

Gandhi UK Import only?

Dr. Strangelove

Not released individually:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
A League of Their Own
Jerry Maguire

So those waiting for the ones they want in 4k may have a long wait.

Gandhi turns 40 this year; A League of Their Own turns 30 and has a spin-off TV series premiering on Prime, so maybe it's not completely outside the realm of possibility 2022 could still see standalone releases in the US for those 2.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I remember seeing Annie when it opened 40 years ago. It seemed so-so and I haven't seen it since, but maybe I'll like it better with this release. Who knows where the time goes....(Judy Collins, 1968):

Anyway, the impressive bonus features on this set show that Columbia/Sony cares about fans. They also know how to do 4K/UHD right. And the slim hardcover books that these come with these sets are a real treat. Hope Julie Kirgo is writing this one too.

Is there a wish list somewhere for Volume 4? Funny Girl, Little Women (1994), The China Syndrome, etc, etc.

"Who Knows Where the Time Goes" was sung by Judy Collins during the opening title credits to the film " The Subject Was Roses". Patricia Neal, Martin Sheen and Jack Albertson in his Oscar winning performance. I sure wish this was on Bly ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For many of those who were thoroughly familiar with the Broadway Annie, the movie is a giant letdown. Too many cherished songs and scenes lost, forgettable new songs, overblown ending. For those who came to Annie without knowing anything else, I can see why they might find it entertaining. I have the same feeling about the film version of A Chorus Line. If you know the stage show, the movie is sacrilege, but if you'd never seen the stage version before, the movie is an adequate (but nothing more than that) experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale