What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spider-Man 4 (20??) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Good news.
How can they stop making these with as much money as they bring in.

I wonder what the story could be?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sony has been making Spider-Man films every 2-3 years since 2002 (with a 5 year break between the Maguire and Garfield films). They are not going to stop until there is no more money to be made, which seems a long time away.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
As I understand it, Sony's film rights entitle them to keep making Spider-Man movies as long as they do it every X months. If they wait too long, they lose those rights, so they'll keep making Spidey films until they stop making money.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As I understand it, Sony's film rights entitle them to keep making Spider-Man movies as long as they do it every X months. If they wait too long, they lose those rights, so they'll keep making Spidey films until they stop making money.

Ya know, even if that happened, they might still make them solely to keep the rights.

Churn out some bargain budget Spidey just to hold onto the property!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Good news.
How can they stop making these with as much money as they bring in.

I wonder what the story could be?

The ending of "NWH" points the way:

We see Peter sewing a new costume.

That's the next movie: 2 hours of Peter at the sewing machine.

At the very end, he has a Coke.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As I understand it, Sony's film rights entitle them to keep making Spider-Man movies as long as they do it every X months.
That was absolutely the case under the original contract. This is how the rights to Daredevil reverted back to Disney a long time prior to their acquisition of Fox because they weren't used.

However, I read somewhere around the time that Homecoming came out that the then-new co-production deal between Sony and Disney included stopping that clock.

That being said, Sony is certainly using their rights every year now. Films like Venom, Morbius and the animated Spider-Verse movies also count as Sony using the Spider-Man IP. So even if there was a ticking clock, Sony would stay out of it.

Sony has been making Spider-Man films every 2-3 years since 2002 (with a 5 year break between the Maguire and Garfield films).
Yes, and the five-year gap there was unintentional. Spider-Man 4 with Maguire was on the schedule to debut before that. I think it had a date in 2010 or 2011 at one point. Then Sam Raimi decided to exit as director and Maguire followed him out the door. So it understandably took a little while longer to get another film going because they had to reboot it, which meant casting from scratch.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tom Holland has recently said that his contract is up after No Way Home. I will assume for the purposes of this discussion that Sony will work that out and he will get a substantial raise and come back for more.

But my big question is not about Holland's contract. It's who the director will be behind the camera for the next film.

Jon Watts has directed all three Spider-Man films starring Holland to date, but he is booked and busy. He will next direct a thriller for Apple starring George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Then he is committed to direct the Fantastic 4 reboot for Marvel. Although Disney has not confirmed a release date for that, I expect the plan is to release F4 in 2024. So the earliest Watts would be able to start on another Spider-Man movie would be 2025.

Sony is not going to want to wait that long. They are going to want to strike while the iron is hot. So, presumably, that means a new director would have to come in on this.

The other option (rather than bringing in a totally new director for the franchise) would be to ask the Russos. They cast Holland as Spider-Man in the first place for Civil War. Since then, they have worked with him on Avengers and outside the MCU on Cherry. So they obviously have a good working relationship.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Tom Holland has recently said that his contract is up after No Way Home. I will assume for the purposes of this discussion that Sony will work that out and he will get a substantial raise and come back for more.

But my big question is not about Holland's contract. It's who the director will be behind the camera for the next film.

Jon Watts has directed all three Spider-Man films starring Holland to date, but he is booked and busy. He will next direct a thriller for Apple starring George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Then he is committed to direct the Fantastic 4 reboot for Marvel. Although Disney has not confirmed a release date for that, I expect the plan is to release F4 in 2024. So the earliest Watts would be able to start on another Spider-Man movie would be 2025.

Sony is not going to want to wait that long. They are going to want to strike while the iron is hot. So, presumably, that means a new director would have to come in on this.

The other option (rather than bringing in a totally new director for the franchise) would be to ask the Russos. They cast Holland as Spider-Man in the first place for Civil War. Since then, they have worked with him on Avengers and outside the MCU on Cherry. So they obviously have a good working relationship.
I think they will most likely move on to a different director for the next films since the first three are considered a trilogy that serves as an extended origin for the character. Now that this chapter has closed the next chapter would probably benefit from a new director and an evolved tone.

I think the Russos would be great, but I’m not sure if they’d be available as I think they’ll be working with Marvel on a future Avengers movie.

Would be interesting if Sam Rami came back to Spider-Man, but not sure if he’d want to retread familiar ground. I’m sure there are lots of directors that would love to do Spider-Man. Hope Marvel/Sony find the right fit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Would be interesting if Sam Rami came back to Spider-Man, but not sure if he’d want to retread familiar ground.
Obviously, this is all guesswork since we aren't in Raimi's head. But I suspect that it is far more likely Marvel would hire him for a third Doctor Strange film than a fourth Spider-Man one. It would be nice if there is some directorial consistency for Doctor Strange moving forward. They probably won't confirm anything until after Multiverse of Madness is out, and they shouldn't. But unless Raimi somehow completely misses the mark on that, it would benefit Marvel to keep him with that series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Watts doesn't come back, I kind of hope they do bring in a totally new director. New voices help keep things fresh. The Russos have had such an impact on the MCU that they're almost the house voice at this point.

The bigger question for me is who -- if anybody -- is coming back besides Holland? Presumably JK Simmons will be back as J. Jonah Jameson, but otherwise the ending of No Way Home really laid the groundwork for a clean slate:
  • Aunt May is dead, so she won't be back.
  • MJ and Ned are headed to MIT, and neither of them remembers Peter. At the end of No Way Home, Peter made the decision not to force his way back into their lives. So unless the plot of the fourth movie introduces a reason for that to change, those characters wouldn't necessarily be back. And is Zendaya still under contract, or was No Way Home the last picture in her deal, too? She's a much bigger star than when she signed on for Homecoming, so that renegotiation would be pricey.
  • Happy Hogan was a big part of this trilogy because Stark Industries was such a big part of this trilogy. The ending of No Way Home, with Peter's new home-sewn suit, made it clear that wouldn't be the case going forward. So there wouldn't necessarily be any reason for him to be back.
  • Flash Thompson and Betty Brant also graduated high school, and neither of them remembers Peter either. Betty was interning for the Daily Bugle in No Way Home, so I would say there's a slightly higher chance we'll see Angourie Rice back than some of the other supporting cast if J. Jonah Jameson is also back.
Spider-Man has a deep bench of supporting characters, so there are plenty of others they can utilize if they want to branch off in a different direction.

One thing that I suspect won't change is another MCU superhero playing a prominent role in the story. It's a formula that's paid dividends for both Marvel Studios and Sony.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Because this thread is specifically about the sequel to No Way Home, I suggest that spoiler tags for that movie should not need to be used here. If someone wants to click into a thread that is about a sequel to a film they have not seen, they do so at their own risk. I understand putting spoiler brackets in the No Way Home thread in case some people haven't seen that yet. But here, it feels really difficult to speculate and discuss at all if whole posts are in brackets.

However, I will put my response in spoiler brackets for now until we have that officially decided.

I think that MJ and Ned have to come back. The audience is going to want to see them with Peter again. I don't think that Peter will change his mind and tell them. I also hope it sticks for more than five minutes so that we get some emotional weight out of their eventual reunion. But they already had MJ tell him that she'll just figure it out again if he doesn't come find her. So that has been telegraphed, and I think it will happen like she said. Peter will attempt to conceal it from her, but she will figure it out on her own, the same as she did in Far From Home.

I also understand the appeal for a Disney-owned MCU character to be involved, but the spell makes that more difficult because none of the Avengers remember who Peter Parker is. So he would need to re-establish connections with that group if Disney is going to loan out an Avenger to be in it. Clarification on how exactly the spell works would also help, because it is clear that Happy remembers Spider-Man, but not Peter. So could Peter just show up at the Avengers compound and be welcomed back, but nobody knows who is behind the mask? I think the sequel will have to get into details of the spell if they are going to re-introduce a character that Peter previously Interacted with through the Avengers.

if the intention is to keep Peter fighting at the street level, the most obvious person to use would be Daredevil. The only interaction Matt would forget is that he was ever Peter's lawyer. But Charlie Cox as Daredevil is only a "get" for people who are aware of the Netflix shows. He would not carry the same weight with the general audience as Tony Stark, "Nick Fury" and Doctor Strange did. If Sony wants a loan of a well-known big screen superhero, there is the question of how they get reintroduced to Peter/Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I also understand the appeal for a Disney-owned MCU character to be involved, but the spell makes that more difficult because none of the Avengers remember who Peter Parker is. So he would need to re-establish connections with that group if Disney is going to loan out an Avenger to be in it. Clarification on how exactly the spell works would also help, because it is clear that Happy remembers Spider-Man, but not Peter. So could Peter just show up at the Avengers compound and be welcomed back, but nobody knows who is behind the mask? I think the sequel will have to get into details of the spell if they are going to re-introduce a character that Peter previously Interacted with through the Avengers.
I'm not sure that's true, for the reason you articulated. While everybody has forgotten Peter Parker, everybody still remembers Spider-Man. Since most of the Avengers' interactions with Peter were exclusively as Spider-Man, most of those memories should be unaffected. Iron Man was the Avenger with the most interaction with Peter as Peter, and he's dead.

if the intention is to keep Peter fighting at the street level, the most obvious person to use would be Daredevil. The only interaction Matt would forget is that he was ever Peter's lawyer. But Charlie Cox as Daredevil is only a "get" for people who are aware of the Netflix shows. He would not carry the same weight with the general audience as Tony Stark, "Nick Fury" and Doctor Strange did. If Sony wants a loan of a well-known big screen superhero, there is the question of how they get reintroduced to Peter/Spider-Man.
I would love that, but I don't think it's the way they would go because he wouldn't be enough bang for Sony's buck.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would love that, but I don't think it's the way they would go because he wouldn't be enough bang for Sony's buck.

They're in a tough place. On one hand, "NWH" sets up a smaller-scale Spidey in the future, but on the other, how do you go back to the farm when you've seen the bright lights of Paris?

The 3 Holland Spideys have so actively involved other aspects of the MCU that lotsa fans may view it as "rinky dink" to feature Spidey in his natural habitat as a loner.

That said, all involved clearly knew that "NWH" was the Spidey equivalent of "Endgame", a big blowout that would be tough to top.

So they understand the next movie will need to "regroup".

I'd make my guesses for what they'll do, but beyond "regroup", I really have no idea.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Peter being forgotten shouldn’t be a problem for interacting with established Avengers because they‘d still remember Spider-Man.

But a character like Daredevil might be thematically appropriate if they have Spidey coming up against organized crime and the Kingpin. Would seem to be the perfect opportunity to weave Black Cat into a story like that as well.

Depending on how things go with the new Fantastic Four, Johnny Storm/The Human Torch would be a no brainer as well since he and Spidey are friends.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would think Sony would want to start crossing over Spider-Man into their own Spiderverse films like Venom and Moribus. Both Venom films have been blockbusters. We'll find out if Morbius can continue the success in January, but I'm looking forward to it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would think Sony would want to start crossing over Spider-Man into their own Spiderverse films like Venom and Moribus. Both Venom films have been blockbusters. We'll find out if Morbius can continue the success in January, but I'm looking forward to it.
Venom would be tough since No Way Home explicitly established that the Tom Hardy movies are in a different universe. As for Morbius, we'll see. The trailer made it very clear that Michael Keaton is reprising his role as Adrian Toomes/Vulture from Homecoming. On the other hand, Marvel Studios may be reluctant to cross-contaminate them given that they're about to launch their own vampire-adjacent franchise with Blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks