What's new
World Wide Stereo

Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

I've read through a bit but haven't seen my exact issue(s).

I have a home theater circa 2003 - Sony 42" 4:3 tube TV, Denon amp, regular DVD and VCR, Bose 5.1 surround speakers w/subwoofer.

My DirecTV Tivo box fried for the second time two years ago, and since then I've gone without any TV service. At the time, I thought that the decision was whether to go HDTV&Blu-Ray, with the higher DirecTV HD service.

Instead, I hooked up an old PC to the system, which allows Hulu, Netflix streaming, NFL Replay and an increasing number of downloadable content from just about anywhere.

1. When should I aim to re-enter the human (OK, the American) race?

- Buy a HDTV or 3D or wait for the next best technology?

- Buy a Blu-ray player?

- Do I need a new amp (it doesn't have the newest optical connections)?

- Do I need new speakers?

- Is there benefit in waiting after the holiday season for deals, or just go to Sam's Club for a low price?

2. Bigger picture, where are things headed?

I really like internet-based viewing. I actually would see DirecTV or cable as being a step back at this point.

- Do you need to have a service for GoogleTV to function?

- How much smaller is the internet marketplace for downloadable and streaming HD video?

- What else is out there that I might wait for?

The issue isn't really money, although of course I don't want to spend more than I have to. The issue is that I like the freedom of internet-based viewing, I think this is where things are headed, and I don't want to lock-in to a technology that's going to change in two years.

Thank you for any thoughts or recommendations.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Given the industry changes made since 2003, you could sit on the sidelines forever waiting to get in. Things are always changing new TV's with one enhancement or the other come almost every year, and prices continue to go down. At some point you are going to have to decide do I jump in or do I wait. The decision is based on what your goals are.

While all of your equipment works in the manner that currently suits you, all of your equipment is obsolete by today's standards. Trying to salvage parts your system is like trying to do a home renovation on a 100 year old home. You don't know for sure how the new and the old will fit together.

I don't use Internet TV much but I can tell you the stuff I get on Hulu on my PC is good but not but not close to my what I get HD Cable channels. I am running Windows 7, a Intel i5 quad core, ATI 4850 graphics card, and a Samsung 23" @ 2048 x 1152 resolution. It's more like standard def TV on a LCD or playing a standard DVD. I am sure you don't notice the difference on your 42" CRT, but you will if you go with a modern 1080 flat screen.

So let's say you upgrade to a larger LCD or Plasma you are going to run into more problems or issues

1. Your Denon receiver is not going to have the HDMI connections you are going want for your new TV. So you will be faced with having to purchase a new receiver, or make compromises.
  2. If you buy a new receiver, you are going to have to replace those Bose Cubes. They don't have a real sub and the cubes totally lack any upper bass or mid range sound. They also cannot use the auto speaker calibration system found on today's receivers.
  3. If you still plan on a PC connection you may have to take a look at upgrading your graphics card, to one that has a HDMI output for video and audio, and has the necessary resolutions for a wide screen format. Changing a video card may also require other upgrades to your PC.

As a general rule the Christmas season does bring black Friday sales and you can save money.

I would suggest that you do some research. Watch some HD programing on a new flat screen. Find someone who uses a PC on a new flat screen, and evaluate the picture quality to what you currently have. Listen to some new speakers and compare them to what you currently have. These evaluations will tell you if you want to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks