What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SuperMoon! (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We were in Cambria, CA on Wednesday. I didn't bring my DSLR with me for the trip (nor a tripod) so these were shot with my Canon G3X point & shoot. Upside: It has a 600mm optical zoom lens. Downside: It isn't as sharp as my DSLR and high ISO images have too much noise by comparison. I used the roof of our Miata as a "tripod" and used the self-timer to snap each image. The images have been cropped a bit from their original size. Click the images for larger versions.

The reason I didn't bring my DSLR and a few lenses is because I was also carrying my drone in the trunk. Can only fit so much photography gear in a Miata. :)

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wraaaa, Astrotrac has gone from a $500 item to $2500!!!
https://www.astrotrac.com/

You can't even buy the old ones any more. One time I shoulda listened to my FOMO!
Not to make you feel even worse, but that link lists the price as 2,400 pounds, not dollars. With the current exchange rate, that is over $3,200.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Anyone planning to shoot the lunar eclipse this coming Sunday?

https://www.space.com/42830-supermoon-blood-moon-total-lunar-eclipse-2019.html

I just placed my Lens Rentals order for a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. Last year for the Supermoon I rented a Nikon 200-500, but I thought I would give Sigma try, not having ever used their glass.

We should have totality here (Albuquerque) at a reasonable hour, and hopefully clear skies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the heads up. This wasn't on my radar. I will plan to photograph it, since in 2015 there was a harvest/blood/super moon and I was playing around with an old 400mm lens of my dad's that ultimately wasn't so sharp. You can see the results in the album Total Eclipse of a Red Super Harvest Moon

I picked up a Tamron 150-600 since then, but it's currently for sale. This lunar eclipse will be a nice last hurrah before it goes on to a new owner.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for posting this, Brian. I'm not sure if we will be home that night, but if we are I may give it a try with my Canon 100-400L II + 1.4x extender. That's my longest lens.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too bad we're apparently expecting pretty rough weather here in NYC area -- low teens maybe even down to single digit temps w/ significant winds for additional chill (and difficulty for long tele photos at night)... after some freezing rain in the morning... not to mention likely partly cloudy night skies...

I suppose it could be worse... but no thanks...

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
We won't have extreme weather, but typical, with rain forecast, so most likely clouds will block the view.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We just returned home from my parents place in northern Michigan, so I didn't feel like battling the Arctic cold temperatures to setup for a shot last night. You were more ambitious than I was, Sam.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The closer we got to totality, the more clouds came over, to the point where the moon could not be seen through the cloud cover.

I had a few passable shots of the partial eclipse, but I struggled. I has never used the Sigma 150-600c before, and I know it is more than capable, but I could not get the level of sharpness I was hoping for. My shots were much better during last year's SuperMoon with the Nikon 200-500.

I thought my technique was on point, but I just did not get the results I was hoping for. I will post a few shots in a bit, and perhaps you guys can offer up some C&C.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
We had thin, hazy clouds, but at least you can tell it is the moon. :)

BrightMoon.jpg
DSC_1461.jpg

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
I still have that National Geographic Moon map too. I should put it up in the cave.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A couple of shots of tonight's blue super moon. I took both using my RF 800mm f/11 lens. The first photo is with a Canon R6 Mark II full frame body, and the second is with a Canon R10 crop body. I cropped both some in post processing.

R6 m2
0Y3A0347-X4.jpg

R10
IMG_1385-X4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks