What's new

"Sweet Home Alabama" problems & issues (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I have the Sony DVP-NS315 player...the same thing happened to me concerning subtitles.

Part of the reason I purchased this player was that my old Phillips Magnavox player from early 1998 had problems playing Disney DVDs at all -- example...Armageddon (non criterion release) played the opening credits in French...no matter what I did...and movies such as Toy Story (Ultimate Toybox) and The Emperor's New Groove (2 disc edition) wouldn't let me play the extras discs.

The only players we have seemed to read about problems on are the Sony players.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I have the Sony DVP-NS315 player...the same thing happened to me concerning subtitles.

Part of the reason I purchased this player was that my old Phillips Magnavox player from early 1998 had problems playing Disney DVDs at all -- example...Armageddon (non criterion release) played the opening credits in French...no matter what I did...and movies such as Toy Story (Ultimate Toybox) and The Emperor's New Groove (2 disc edition) wouldn't let me play the extras discs.

The only players we have seemed to read about problems with Sweet Home Alambama on are the Sony players.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Mine was from BB.com too. Interesting thread this because IIRC, Sony players are not often cited as having disc playback issues (other than the models with bad lasers years back of course).

N

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sony here and the copy I rented had the subtitle problem. Doesn't matter much since I hated the movie anyway.

A follow up to my original post, I asked a friend at work who purchased this disk if she had any problems. She did have them as her player is an RCA model, however I am not sure which one.

Scott

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have no subtitle problems playing it on any of my players including an old Sony (DVP-S300).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I talked to a lady at BB today when I took my 2nd copy back, she said some people's DVD's of the movie would actually show someone holding the Take sign and doing the whole scene 6 take 5 thing during a scene change in the movie.
huh??

jeremy was that a joke. i dont get it?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
no it wasnt a joke thats just what she told me I wouldnt doubt it with the f-up's that Disney has had previously in DVD releases.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I rented it from Blockbuster and had no problems. FWIW, for anyone who got a refund, I noticed yesterday my local Wal-Mart has it for less than $15, so you might take your refund there and hopefully get a replacement from a different batch.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Call Disney's 1-80 number... Continuiously returning the disc to chains such as Best Buy, Walmart, etc. will not solve the problem.

Studios just do blanket returns for defectives for the chains and don't ask "Why?"

BTW, I tried the disc on few different players; a Toshiba, a Pioneer Elite DV38A, Pansonic RP62 and three Sony units. The only machine that had this hiccup were the Sony units...

Daniel L

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Rented from MovieGallery and watched last night. No problems here - player:Panasonic RP-56.

On a side note:I thought the layer change was REALLY bad; hesitated a bit too long, and I normally haven't had ANY discs that performed that poorly. Not even Signs.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I borrowed the disc from a friend who has a JVC DVD player. He said that it worked fine on his player but the subtitle problem showed up 3 times on my Sony DVP-S530D.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Watched it last night-- Hollywood Video rental-- with no problems on a Panny RV80.

Although, that layer change is worse than a mid-winter, deep freeze, New England pot hole. Jar the wits outta ya'.

BOK

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Also have the Sony NC-655P. Same three subtitle occurences.
I did have a similar incident with the Scrooged DVD with this player. Only 1 time in that movie though.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
They aren't the subtitles but the "Closed Captions".

The first one pops up at 45:38. Second one is at 52:43 (where the caption says..."Birds Chirping". The last one is at 1:18:30. I have a Sony DVPNS700P. This is the first disc that this has happened with. I threw the disc into my computer drive and it played without the captions at those three points.

It's interesting that the original pressing of Disney's THE VISITORS had a problem with Closed Captions as well. That disc would not allow you to play the subtitles, it only played the closed captions. There is a difference.

*** 2/24/03 Addition ***

I just called Disney's 1-800 number and was told they were aware of the problem and that a new disc would be sent to me. They said there was a second 'fixed' disc and that it would be sent with a mailer to return my old disc. (Similar to what happened with THE KID and DINOSAURS.) I asked when I could expect the disc. She said she was looking on the computer and told me that they were not in, but that they should be in soon.

Since I was talking to Disney I asked about THE VISITORS disc (Closed Captioned titles vs Subtitles). I was put on hold while the tech people checked and they told her the disc still had CC not Subtitles. She told me that the disc was not a big seller and that it was unlikely that the disc would get fixed and apologized. Disney would be happy to take the disc back and give me something else if I was not happy with the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks