What's new
World Wide Stereo

Tape/Tape monitor (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have a 7 year old Sony home theatre system (HT-DDW750) to which I have several things attached. Today I bought a second hand Denon tape deck and hooked it up. Here is my problem. I can get the sound to come through fine by connecting the out connection from the deck to the tape in connection on the receiver. I use the tape monitor out from the receiver to connect to my wireless headphones box. While all the other analog inputs (video, analog cd, lp, vcr, dvd) can be heard through the headphones, I cannot get the tape to come through. I have tried various things.... checking the analog only options, hitting the source button, etc. with no results. Shouldn't the tape monitor out pick up the sound of the tape deck?

Thanks guys.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Jim, I'm going to move this to the receivers section of the Hardware forum, because it really isn't a "Beginners" question. More like an "incredibly esoteric question for the experts", and they're more likely to see it over there.

Regards,

Joe

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Tape-Monitor-Out is a line-level connection meant to go to your tape deck for recording. It'll have all source signals except the tape deck.

When using a tape deck with true monitoring capabilities the Tape monitor-in on the receiver would be the sound post tape deck processing during recording. I mention that because then it makes sense that the only time you wouldn't hear anything from the (or else you'd have an "infinite loop").

To put it another way, you have all-sources-except-tape being routed from the receiver's input to the tape-monitor out, which then goes to the tape deck (for recording). Then you have what the tape deck is doing to the signal coming back into the receiver to be heard through the speakers. If the receiver sent that signal back to the tape deck, then when you tried to record you be getting the signal from your source AND the signal from the tape deck.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks----

I think I understand. I can hear the tape via the speakers attached to the receiver. The wireless headphones box is connected to the monitor out on the receiver and all analog sources can be heard on the headphones except the tape deck. So.... if I were to do a split line so that the monitor out would attached to both the headphone box AND and the tape monitor in on the deck itself, would that work?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Good timing on this question. I'm about to migrate from a traditional stereo amp with tape monitors (1 & 2) to a Pioneer Elite VSX-21THX A/V receiver, and I still have two active tape decks. One, the reel-to-reel, will be just for playing, so it can use any input, but I also have a cassette deck that I will still occasionally record to. The receiver has a set of inputs/outputs called "CD-R/TAPE" that -- I'm really hoping, given that labeling -- will function just like the traditional tape monitor. If anyone believes otherwise, please speak up. Thanks!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So.... if I were to do a split line so that the monitor out would attached to both the headphone box AND and the tape monitor in on the deck itself, would that work?

If I have you right, no, that wouldn't work. The monitor out gets it's signal from the recievers input, and the receiver is not going to send the tape source to the monitor out. Your best bet is if the tape deck has a headphone jack. Then you could just switch your headphone to the tape deck when using it. And I'd think that a Denon would have such a conneciton.

The receiver has a set of inputs/outputs called "CD-R/TAPE" that -- I'm really hoping, given that labeling -- will function just like the traditional tape monitor.

If the receiver has an input and output, you're probably good on that end. If you're looking for a true tape monitor though, the "problem" is usally with the tape deck, as not all tape decks offer a true monitor capability. Meanbing they don't send the recording level signal back out while in record mode. But if you're not trying to monitor the level during recording, that's really not a big problem.

I love all this tape deck stuff - brings me back 25 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks