What's new

Target B2G1 Free DVD/BR Sale (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Probably depends on what exactly you want to get. There are some kinds of titles that likely won't see any better pricing from BF sales given how those tend to be... although @Garysb has already just posted info for another sizable batch for Best Buy for next week -- I almost ordered Shawshank 4K and Gattaca 4K w/ this Target B2G1, but will now just wait til next week for the BB BF deals...

Will probably still place a couple orders in part to make use of my Target Circle bonus offer (to get $15 reward)...

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I agree...

This close to Christmas I use those sales from Target for books and board games - things that often don't get massive BF reductions. I'll also use it for older media which is also unlikely to see "better" BF sales. If you're going for new(er) releases you're better off waiting to see what BF holds.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably depends on what exactly you want to get. There are some kinds of titles that likely won't see any better pricing from BF sales given how those tend to be... although @Garysb has already just posted info for another sizable batch for Best Buy for next week -- I almost ordered Shawshank 4K and Gattaca 4K w/ this Target B2G1, but will now just wait til next week for the BB BF deals...

Will probably still place a couple orders in part to make use of my Target Circle bonus offer (to get $15 reward)...

_Man_
I agree...

This close to Christmas I use those sales from Target for books and board games - things that often don't get massive BF reductions. I'll also use it for older media which is also unlikely to see "better" BF sales. If you're going for new(er) releases you're better off waiting to see what BF holds.
Yup, I edited my post because of what you guys stated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I noticed Target also added preorder availability for the non-steelbook Almost Famous 4K a couple(?) days ago (at a slightly lower price than Amazon) and then unexpectedly made it available for this offer overnight, so I switched gears and ordered it as part of my (double-sized) B2G1 order -- good thing too since nearly all the (similarly priced) Criterion BDs I was considering disappeared from availability overnight.

So if anyone was already considering a B2G1 order involving titles in the $24 ballpark and would like to add the non-steelbook Almost Famous 4K preorder to the mix, probably wanna act fast... since Target seems to usually disable the B2G1 offer for preorders...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure between recency, other BF sales, and general low stock issues on most of the lines where this sale makes the most sense, but
like last year there will be another B2G1 week -- 11/21/2021 through 11/27/2021

Apparently, many/most Criterions have been removed from the site, a lot of Shout Factory items were pulled/eliminated over the last few months, and recent Warner Archives stock is on fumes. I was able to pick up another 5-6 WAC last week including Black Lightning S4 adn Prodigal Son S2 as a few came back into stock if only briefly and the most recent preorder/new release weren't part of the sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not sure between recency, other BF sales, and general low stock issues on most of the lines where this sale makes the most sense, but
like last year there will be another B2G1 week -- 11/21/2021 through 11/27/2021

Apparently, many/most Criterions have been removed from the site, a lot of Shout Factory items were pulled/eliminated over the last few months, and recent Warner Archives stock is on fumes. I was able to pick up another 5-6 WAC last week including Black Lightning S4 adn Prodigal Son S2 as a few came back into stock if only briefly and the most recent preorder/new release weren't part of the sale.
Like some other retailers, Target is becoming less of an option to purchase 4K or Blu-ray releases at a low price point during their sales.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If I go for media during these B2G1 sales it's typically catalog stuff I'm upgrading and rarely new(er) releases. I was quite disappointed that they removed the Shout! stuff as I was finally ready to pick up those Universal Horror Classics collections and they dropped them. I also miss the them having the new Warner Archive releases. I usually pick up the Criterions during their 50% off flash sales and the regular 50% off sales from various vendors as Target's B2G1 prices are rarely better.

They *do* pretty much mirror the better sales on Kino titles (~$10/each) but I'd rather order directly from Kino for those just to give Kino all the profit.

I use them mostly for board games and I'm almost to the point that they have nothing I want in that area. Their selection is very lacking compared to board game only sites though the prices are typically the best available on what's in stock during these sales. And there are the occasional book purchases (mostly for the grandkids - I already have far too many unread ones on the shelves awaiting my attention).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I go for media during these B2G1 sales it's typically catalog stuff I'm upgrading and rarely new(er) releases. I was quite disappointed that they removed the Shout! stuff as I was finally ready to pick up those Universal Horror Classics collections and they dropped them. I also miss the them having the new Warner Archive releases. I usually pick up the Criterions during their 50% off flash sales and the regular 50% off sales from various vendors as Target's B2G1 prices are rarely better.

They *do* pretty much mirror the better sales on Kino titles (~$10/each) but I'd rather order directly from Kino for those just to give Kino all the profit.

I use them mostly for board games and I'm almost to the point that they have nothing I want in that area. Their selection is very lacking compared to board game only sites though the prices are typically the best available on what's in stock during these sales. And there are the occasional book purchases (mostly for the grandkids - I already have far too many unread ones on the shelves awaiting my attention).

With the 20% off codes (SIGNUP20) GRUV has the Universal Horror set a little cheaper than Target did and still has most of them in stock (or did a few days ago) -- looks like 4 of the 6 are currently in-stock with 6 being temp OOS adn 4 missing
Not quite as good as teh Shout $35 prices, but pretty close.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With the 20% off codes (SIGNUP20) GRUV has the Universal Horror set a little cheaper than Target did and still has most of them in stock (or did a few days ago) -- looks like 4 of the 6 are currently in-stock with 6 being temp OOS adn 4 missing
Not quite as good as teh Shout $35 prices, but pretty close.
I've browsed Gruv's site many times since it opened and have *never*noticed they have those titles!! Thanks! :D

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think they did until a few days ago or at least it's the first time anyone found them along with a number of other Shout disc. They also added a number of Criterion discs and Arrow titles.
I haven't quite figured if most of them are original Universal property, but I suspect maybe they are.

Filter all BD or ALL and price High to Low to see a bunch of things I never knew were there (if they were). I've always just gone ot the sale page or filtered low to high to see the cheap discs.

It seemed to start with Abbott and Costello of $60 and other things just kept showing up.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Actual Black Friday ad has posted and its another Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. No actual prices are listed in ad. Starts Sunday November 21st both online and in store.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Biggest advantage for many for this version of the sale appears the addition of Music. A lot of folks have said the LP prices specifically are very nice.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Biggest advantage for many for this version of the sale appears the addition of Music. A lot of folks have said the LP prices specifically are very nice.
I stopped buying LPs in the early 80s and have never looked back. There's no way I'd start purchasing them again as I still remember all the negatives with that format. The majority of my CDs that got remastered sound significantly better than the LPs they replaced. I just don't get the current love affair people have with LPs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I suspect much of the current love for the LP is largely just a hipster thing... possibly in part rebelling against (and/or seeking to complement) the virtually faceless, big corporate style presentation of digital music while being attracted by the big cover artwork that are quite visible (that CDs really aren't) even in spacious supermarkets like Whole Foods that wouldn't otherwise sell anything like that -- at my local Whole Foods, they seem strategically(?) placed right by an entrance to the (largely artisanal) beer and other drinks section.

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... gotta give to LPs for cover art - at least those that took advantage of it with things other than just another artist photo. Looking at a Roger Dean painting on a CD cover just isn't quite the same...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, my own 22-yo son had wanted to get a turntable too over the last several years, but circumstance (of regularly needing to move for his college years) plus my wife's (then) disapproval didn't really allow that. IF he hasn't lost his interest in it yet, maybe he'll finally get one and seek out those Led Zeppelin LPs that were remastered by Jimmy Page several years ago -- he really wanted those, but I ended up just getting the CD set while he ended up just settling for music streaming since then...

He doesn't even have a stereo system anyway and probably isn't that interested in having one... although he could always just add the turntable to the existing livingroom system (but will likely need to add some kind of phono stage)...

And a while back, I finally left a couple crates of old laserdiscs out in front of my house to giveaway (as is common to do in my Brooklyn neighborhood)... and the entire lot disappeared pretty quickly overnight. Betcha whoever took them couldn't see well enough w/ the nighttime street lighting and thought they struck gold for LPs (whether for their own collection or to resell), haha... :P :laugh:

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not sure if you looked further, but Universal Vol 6 is back in stock
I purchased that one directly from Shout! in their last sale. With it OOS at Target and Amazon *rarely* offering them below ~$45 it seemed like the best option and it has titles I didn't already own on DVD making it more attractive.

I *will* be getting the others from Gruv as long as they still have them when I'm ready to make the purchases.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
B2G1 sale started -- difference appears that a bunch of preorders are currently allowed

I was able to cobble together 6 more WAC titles close to $11 ea including this week and next weeks releases.

Also Film Noir: Dark Side of Cinema V and Final Countdown 4K

Several folks picking up The Outsiders 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
B2G1 sale started -- difference appears that a bunch of preorders are currently allowed

I was able to cobble together 6 more WAC titles close to $11 ea including this week and next weeks releases.

Also Film Noir: Dark Side of Cinema V and Final Countdown 4K

Several folks picking up The Outsiders 4K.
Yeah, I made several purchases including some Kino and Criterion titles which allowed me to use some gift cards, thus, lowering the prices even below what Kino or Criterion has with their sales. I grabbed a bunch of pre-orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siratseo
Recent bookmarks