What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Apple Watch Ultra owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave, there is the Ultra 3 next year. But if the lawsuit is not resolved, my guess is the watch will remove the pulse ox feature.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't see Apple removing a marquee feature. Apple will pay or they will find a way a non-infringing implementation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey guys- I’ve been considering upgrading my Apple Watch Series 4 to the Ultra 2. I had not been in a big hurry as my Series 4 is still working, except the ECG feature stopped working a year into ownership.

i really like the new features on the watches from the year before the Ultra was even announced such as the pulse ox. But I see now in the Apple Insider news app/site that a lawsuit against Apple over the how the pulse ox is read on a wearable will cause Apple to stop importing the watch. From what I read, a company called Masimo has the technology and sued Apple for copyright infringement. So sales on the Apple site will stop on December 21 and on December 24th at the Apple Stores.

So I’m debating if I should do it now, because the ban could go on for sometime.

I would go for it.

I had my doubts, as many did when the original ULTRA was announced concerning its size. Turns out that once most people put it on their wrist, they fall in love with it. It's a great watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron! That’s good to know. I do wonder if I should wait for the Ultra 3, but that’s a game that just delays enjoying it now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks Ron! That’s good to know. I do wonder if I should wait for the Ultra 3, but that’s a game that just delays enjoying it now.

My only concern about waiting for the Ultra 3 is that they may take the controversial feature away.

The only rumor I am hearing about Ultra 3 is that it will be available in black. Other rumors suggest the watch won't be updated at all next year.

Future rumors, pointing to 2025 or 2026 are saying Ultra will move to an energy-saving MicroLED with an even larger screen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron, I’ve not kept up with the rumors! About Ultra 3 removing the controversial feature, i had that concern, but Dave doesn’t see that happening.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks Ron, I’ve not kept up with the rumors! About Ultra 3 removing the controversial feature, i had that concern, but Dave doesn’t see that happening.

Anything is possible. I agree chances are better than not that Apple will pay what they need to to continue offering the feature. Just very difficult, at the moment, to see if there is even going to be an Ultra 3 next year. I still think you are probably better off buying now, especially for the fact that the watch has been discounted many times over the past few weeks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anything is possible. I agree chances are better than not that Apple will pay what they need to to continue offering the feature. Just very difficult, at the moment, to see if there is even going to be an Ultra 3 next year. I still think you are probably better off buying now, especially for the fact that the watch has been discounted many times over the past few weeks.

....but then again you come across a rumor like this one

Robert Saccone

Premium
Always fun to watch the rumors and see what actually comes true.
I suspect that Apple will work on an alternative implementation that doesn't infringe while trying to cut a deal with Masimo (who bought Sound United a little while back and now own quite a set of audio companies including Denon, Marantz, B&W).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron for that link. I’m thinking the rumors are rumors and speculation. it does make one pause though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks Ron for that link. I’m thinking the rumors are rumors and speculation. it does make one pause though.

Here is another link for you

I use AppleInsider, among other sites, to track Apple sales.

This will give you up-to-date pricing on the Ultra 2. Let us know if you end up buying one and share your impressions.

I tell yuh, I have said this many times over...

I think the Apple Watch is the best product Apple makes. The Ultra is a beautiful device. Once you put it on and start using it -- especially for fitness -- you'll think the same.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link with the pricing. Looking at it, I was thinking how one would buy AppleCare as I usually buy direct from Apple.

I have no doubt the Ultra 2 will be a great watch! I use my Series 4 all the time for fitness tracking and other tasks.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Thanks for the link with the pricing. Looking at it, I was thinking how one would buy AppleCare as I usually buy direct from Apple.

I have no doubt the Ultra 2 will be a great watch! I use my Series 4 all the time for fitness tracking and other tasks.
I think you should be able to buy Apple Care right in the Watch App on your phone in the Aboit section.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
IMG_2665.jpeg

I picked it up tonight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron! I’m curious how the size will fit on my wrist too!

I’ll post when it’s all set it up and I’ve had a chance to play with it. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hey guys- I’ve been considering upgrading my Apple Watch Series 4 to the Ultra 2. I had not been in a big hurry as my Series 4 is still working, except the ECG feature stopped working a year into ownership.

i really like the new features on the watches from the year before the Ultra was even announced such as the pulse ox. But I see now in the Apple Insider news app/site that a lawsuit against Apple over the how the pulse ox is read on a wearable will cause Apple to stop importing the watch. From what I read, a company called Masimo has the technology and sued Apple for copyright infringement. So sales on the Apple site will stop on December 21 and on December 24th at the Apple Stores.

So I’m debating if I should do it now, because the ban could go on for sometime.

This will be an interesting one to "watch" [see what I did there] unfold as Masimo happens to be the corporate parent of some of our most beloved audio brands, including Marantz. My bet is Apple will fight to the end to avoid a precedent setting event.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This will be an interesting one to "watch" [see what I did there] unfold as Masimo happens to be the corporate parent of some of our most beloved audio brands, including Marantz. My bet is Apple will fight to the end to avoid a precedent setting event.

I see what you did there

I agree that Apple will fight this. Too much at stake.

Meanwhile, the watches have just been removed from Apple's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale