What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Donna Reed Show: SEASON 4 (1 Viewer)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Ron, Thank you very much!!! I wish you as well a Very Wonderful Holiday Season!!!! :)
As for the fruitcake, you can bet that I'd be stuffing myself with fruitcake if Donna were the one who had given it to me!!!!!! :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Well, I've seen a few Father Knows Best episodes on DVD and Antenna TV in the same way, wrong credits, you know. I bought The Deputy Complete Series set in which a couple of season two eps were missing end credits and another had wrong credits. You do what you gotta do with the vintage elderly film elements sources!

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
I've noticed that a few of the "Donna Reed" episodes in the previous DVD sets had some "wrong" credits at the end--as perhaps they could not find the credits that went with that episode originally so they just stuck in credits from another. Usually I can tell this when the names of the guest-stars are not correct and/or do not match up.
However, I just started my 4th season DVD set (although I've had it since last year :laugh: ) as I wanted to make sure 5th season would come out too before viewing both. It would have been too big of a disappointment if I'd started my 4th season set and then learned that the 5th season would not be released. ;) I just got my 5th season set in the mail today....Oh yeah!!! :banana: I started the 4th season the other night, and I've not noticed any wrong credits for those episodes so far...but maybe there are some.
I'm not too concerned or upset over that though...I'm just still thrilled both seasons were finally released to DVD!! I just hope & pray somehow someone/some company can get Sony to release the last 3 seasons (6-8)! :tu:

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
I've noticed that a few of the "Donna Reed" episodes in the previous DVD sets had some "wrong" credits at the end--as perhaps they could not find the credits that went with that episode originally so they just stuck in credits from another. Usually I can tell this when the names of the guest-stars are not correct and/or do not match up.
However, I just started my 4th season DVD set (although I've had it since last year :laugh: ) as I wanted to make sure 5th season would come out too before viewing both. It would have been too big of a disappointment if I'd started my 4th season set and then learned that the 5th season would not be released. ;) I just got my 5th season set in the mail today....Oh yeah!!! :banana: I started the 4th season the other night, and I've not noticed any wrong credits for those episodes so far...but maybe there are some.
I'm not too concerned or upset over that though...I'm just still thrilled both seasons were finally released to DVD!! I just hope & pray somehow someone/some company can get Sony to release the last 3 seasons (6-8)! :tu:
Well you should have asked me, Drew! I knew that 'Season 5' was coming out for sure way back from MPI when it was first announced by MPI & Mary Owen that MPI was indeed given the rights to release Seasons Four and Five. I can't believe you didn't watch 'Season 4' when you had it right in your possession!! I couldn't have done that in a million years!!! I had quickly watched a marathon of "The Donna Reed Show" episodes from 'Season 4' and within a week an a half I had completed almost all 39 Episodes and then re-watched them all again, but not in order. Mary Owen had quickly given to me the nickname, Marathon Mark! LOL...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Greg2356 said:
I had quickly watched a marathon of "The Donna Reed Show" episodes from 'Season 4' and within a week an a half I had completed almost all 39 Episodes...
A whole week and a half for a measley 39 eps! Gosh, Mark... I thought you were a *fan* not a "casual" viewer! ;)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
BobO'Link said:
A whole week and a half for a measley 39 eps! Gosh, Mark... I thought you were a *fan* not a "casual" viewer! ;)
;) The fact is Bob, I had needed to do many other things in between watching these episodes, so I did the best I could! LOL... :D

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Well you should have asked me, Drew! I knew that 'Season 5' was coming out for sure way back from MPI when it was first announced by MPI & Mary Owen that MPI was indeed given the rights to release Seasons Four and Five. I can't believe you didn't watch 'Season 4' when you had it right in your possession!! I couldn't have done that in a million years!!! I had quickly watched a marathon of "The Donna Reed Show" episodes from 'Season 4' and within a week an a half I had completed almost all 39 Episodes and then re-watched them all again, but not in order. Mary Owen had quickly given to me the nickname, Marathon Mark! LOL...
LOL!! :laugh: Yeah...I know. I planned to watch it when I originally got the season 4 DVD set. But, I was in the middle of going through another show I collect at the time. Then I didn't hear much about Season 5 and I got into other shows yet again. I decided to wait to make certain that season 5 was for sure getting released too. I knew that Mary Owen and MPI had originally said they planned to release both seasons 4 & 5...but nothing is ever set in..."stone" (pun intended :P ) until I'm able to buy the set.
I too have now gotten back into watching the show. I finished the rest of season 3 and am now a good deal into season 4. After that I'll of course watch season 5, then maybe start over and watch 1-3 again (as I've not watched those seasons--except the last few episodes of season 3--for a few years). So, I'm having mini-marathons each night before bed...once I start watching I can't stop! :D
I really wish they could have done a "Donna Reed Show" reunion of some kind before even Carl Betz died. I read once that Donna was considering putting together some kind of reunion (as "Father Knows Best" had done a few reunions in the mid-1970's) when word came that Betz had either just passed away or was very ill. The reunion idea was then dropped. :(

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
LOL!! :laugh: I know...I planned to watch the season 4 DVD set when I bought it, but I was in the middle of watching another show I collect, at the time. Then I didn't hear much about season 5 for a while and I got into other shows yet again. I decided to wait until I knew for sure season 5 was getting released to watch season 4. I know Mary Owen and MPI said they planned to release both 4 & 5 but nothing is ever set in..."stone" (pun intended :P ) until I'm actually able to buy the set.
I too am going through marathons each night before bed, as I'm definitely into watching the show again! I finished the last of season 3 and am now a good deal into season 4. After that I'll of course watch season 5, then maybe start over with the first 3 seasons again (as I've not watched them--except for the last of season 3--for a few years). Once I start watching I can't stop! :D

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
LOL!! :laugh: Yeah...I know. I planned to watch it when I originally got the season 4 DVD set. But, I was in the middle of going through another show I collect at the time. Then I didn't hear much about Season 5 and I got into other shows yet again. I decided to wait to make certain that season 5 was for sure getting released too. I knew that Mary Owen and MPI had originally said they planned to release both seasons 4 & 5...but nothing is ever set in..."stone" (pun intended :P ) until I'm able to buy the set.
I too have now gotten back into watching the show. I finished the rest of season 3 and am now a good deal into season 4. After that I'll of course watch season 5, then maybe start over and watch 1-3 again (as I've not watched those seasons--except the last few episodes of season 3--for a few years). So, I'm having mini-marathons each night before bed...once I start watching I can't stop! :D
I really wish they could have done a "Donna Reed Show" reunion of some kind before even Carl Betz died. I read once that Donna was considering putting together some kind of reunion (as "Father Knows Best" had done a few reunions in the mid-1970's) when word came that Betz had either just passed away or was very ill. The reunion idea was then dropped. :(
Yes, I read about the reunion show in regards to "The Donna Reed Show" from reading the back of a "TV Guide" where Paul Petersen was saying something to the effect of, that they were going to make their reunion show even more dramatic with more problems involved than the "Father Knows Best" reunion shows had dealt with... The way Paul put it, it had sounded like a big competition between "Father Knows Best" and "The Donna Reed Show." I thought to myself, "I don't know about this!" since I didn't think back then, that I would enjoy seeing a Donna Reed Reunion Show if it had involved a truly tragic and sad episode. Later on though, I too was disappointed the reunion show had never taken place!!!! I was very curious as to what it might have been like!

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Yes, I read about the reunion show in regards to "The Donna Reed Show" from reading the back of a "TV Guide" where Paul Petersen was saying something to the effect of, that they were going to make their reunion show even more dramatic with more problems involved than the "Father Knows Best" reunion shows had dealt with... The way Paul put it, it had sounded like a big competition between "Father Knows Best" and "The Donna Reed Show." I thought to myself, "I don't know about this!" since I didn't think back then, that I would enjoy seeing a Donna Reed Reunion Show if it had involved a truly tragic and sad episode. Later on though, I too was disappointed the reunion show had never taken place!!!! I was very curious as to what it might have been like!
I doubt they'd of done something too sad, tragic, or depressing...I don't think Donna Reed would have wanted or done anything like that. I think probably what Paul meant by more dramatic and more involved was that if they had done a reunion movie/show of some kind, the problems the family would be facing would be more adult, and/or more "serious" than what they had dealt with when the kids were growing up. "The Brady Bunch" did the same thing with their reunion movies and the short-lived new "Brady" series in the 80's and early 90's. Everyone's problems were more realistic and/or serious...but no one died, was kidnapped, or tortured :P and it still had plenty of Brady humor and "goofiness". ;) The "Leave It to Beaver" reunions and new series also did something similar--it was still "Beaver" humor and corniness...but everyone's problems were a little more realistic for the time.
If they had been lucky enough to have done a "DRS" reunion, I think they'd of done something similar. It would have been very interesting to see what was going on with the Stones say 10 or 15 years later. But, Carl's pipe smoking finally caught up to him in 78, as he passed away from lung cancer. :( They could have still done a reunion though, even without Betz. "Beaver" did all their reunions without "Ward"...as Hugh Beaumont had passed away years before a reunion idea was considered. It's not preferable for sure...but was still possible. But, maybe Donna and the rest didn't want to do that and the reunion idea was never considered again. Paul and Shelley should do some kind of reunion...the could call it "The Stones"! :laugh: But, I doubt that'd ever happen. ;)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
I doubt they'd of done something too sad, tragic, or depressing...I don't think Donna Reed would have wanted or done anything like that. I think probably what Paul meant by more dramatic and more involved was that if they had done a reunion movie/show of some kind, the problems the family would be facing would be more adult, and/or more "serious" than what they had dealt with when the kids were growing up. "The Brady Bunch" did the same thing with their reunion movies and the short-lived new "Brady" series in the 80's and early 90's. Everyone's problems were more realistic and/or serious...but no one died, was kidnapped, or tortured :P and it still had plenty of Brady humor and "goofiness". ;) The "Leave It to Beaver" reunions and new series also did something similar--it was still "Beaver" humor and corniness...but everyone's problems were a little more realistic for the time.
If they had been lucky enough to have done a "DRS" reunion, I think they'd of done something similar. It would have been very interesting to see what was going on with the Stones say 10 or 15 years later. But, Carl's pipe smoking finally caught up to him in 78, as he passed away from lung cancer. :( They could have still done a reunion though, even without Betz. "Beaver" did all their reunions without "Ward"...as Hugh Beaumont had passed away years before a reunion idea was considered. It's not preferable for sure...but was still possible. But, maybe Donna and the rest didn't want to do that and the reunion idea was never considered again. Paul and Shelley should do some kind of reunion...the could call it "The Stones"! :laugh: But, I doubt that'd ever happen. ;)
I understand what you mean Drew, but I still think Donna at that time would have gone along with Paul if he had wanted a very dramatic program with a lot of trauma in it in order to outdo "The Father Knows Best" reunion shows. Paul was having a rather rough time of it back then, which I won't go into any detail about here, and Donna would have just about done anything for him at that particular time in an attempt to try and help him. She wasn't just Donna Reed the actress, but was truly a second Mom to Paul. And Donna wasn't too happy with the role she had played on "The Donna Reed Show" at that time either, because of her bitterness over her divorce from Tony Owen. I had read in a book that was quite an eye opener, where Donna was talking about her TV Series in the darkest and bitterest of tones, it was really shocking!!! Later on in life Donna Reed went back to praising her TV series! One of the "Father Knows Best" reunion shows I thought had Betty, Bud, and Kathy seeming a little too unhappy with all their many problems, and if "The Donna Reed Show" reunion episode had gone further than that one sad "Father Knows Best" reunion show which had been centered around the Christmas Holidays, I think strongly that "The Donna Reed Show" reunion show would have certainly failed with the viewers. I do agree with you that Donna Reed could have done a Reunion Show without Carl Betz, but the cast was much too close to Carl to have ever made it through it! For example, the cast loved getting together every month at a Restaurant after "The Donna Reed Show" had ended it's run, but after Carl had died they had tried to get together once again, but Shelley Fabares said, it was just too hard, just too hard, and they never got together again for a very long period of time! In fact, I was initially relived when the reunion show hadn't taken place for "The Donna Reed Show" because I had thought it might have greatly taken away from the memory of the original series. And with the state of mind Donna and Paul were in at that particular time in their life, they probably would have killed off one of their own cast members in the name of drama!!!!!! I mean this in a very tongue and cheek manner, because I don't THINK they would actually have dared go that far! Maybe they would've had one of the cast members near death, but recover just before the Reunion Show Movie had ended. LOL... Later though I had thought, I would have loved seeing Donna Reed once again coming down those stairs, but this time in color! And I also would have enjoyed hearing a new arrangement of the Theme Song. :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
I understand what you mean Drew, but I still think Donna at that time would have gone along with Paul if he had wanted a very dramatic program with a lot of trauma in it in order to outdo "The Father Knows Best" reunion shows. Paul was having a rather rough time of it back then, which I won't go into any detail about here, and Donna would have just about done anything for him at that particular time in an attempt to try and help him. She wasn't just Donna Reed the actress, but was truly a second Mom to Paul. And Donna wasn't too happy with the role she had played on "The Donna Reed Show" at that time either, because of her bitterness over her divorce from Tony Owen. I had read in a book that was quite an eye opener, where Donna was talking about her TV Series in the darkest and bitterest of tones, it was really shocking!!! Later on in life Donna Reed went back to praising her TV series! One of the "Father Knows Best" reunion shows I thought had Betty, Bud, and Kathy seeming a little too unhappy with all their many problems, and if "The Donna Reed Show" reunion episode had gone further than that one sad "Father Knows Best" reunion show which had been centered around the Christmas Holidays, I think strongly that "The Donna Reed Show" reunion show would have certainly failed with the viewers. I do agree with you that Donna Reed could have done a Reunion Show without Carl Betz, but the cast was much too close to Carl to have ever made it through it! For example, the cast loved getting together every month at a Restaurant after "The Donna Reed Show" had ended it's run, but after Carl had died they had tried to get together once again, but Shelley Fabares said, it was just too hard, just too hard, and they never got together again for a very long period of time! In fact, I was initially relived when the reunion show hadn't taken place for "The Donna Reed Show" because I had thought it might have greatly taken away from the memory of the original series. And with the state of mind Donna and Paul were in at that particular time in their life, they probably would have killed off one of their own cast members in the name of drama!!!!!! I mean this in a very tongue and cheek manner, because I don't THINK they would actually have dared go that far! Maybe they would've had one of the cast members near death, but recover just before the Reunion Show Movie had ended. LOL... Later though I had thought, I would have loved seeing Donna Reed once again coming down those stairs, but this time in color! And I also would have enjoyed hearing a new arrangement of the Theme Song. :)
Mark,
I did know that at one time Paul Petersen was going through a "dark" time, and things were not going well. I also knew that Donna was like a real mom to Paul and Shelley...not just a "TV" mom and the main cast member. However, I did not know that Donna, at one point, was so bitter towards her show! That's too bad! :confused: Was she upset and angry over her role on the show while it was still on...or did she become dissatisfied later, after her divorce from Tony Owen? I'm glad she again embraced her character and the show before she died! I know Robert Reed always hated his "Mike Brady" role on "The Brady Bunch", and the whole corny, goofy shallowness of the show itself. He originally wanted a more serious and realistic show, but the producers and creators said no and went with the "fluff" style instead. But, "The Donna Reed Show" was never "fluff" (although it had some goofy and silly moments too) and it had way more depth than say "The Brady Bunch"!
I still doubt that if "The Donna Reed Show" had done a reunion of some kind, they would have had someone die or some tragic, depressing show. However, maybe they would have done something more serious and/or realistic...say with drugs or alcohol. I also did know that the cast stayed in touch and got together regularly years after the show went off the air...which no other show, that I know of, has ever done that before or since! Maybe one or two cast members of a show stay in touch some...but not the whole cast actually getting together to catch up on things, and still try and help or be there for each other if needed. That says it all right there!!
I never cared as much for "Father Knows Best"...they didn't seem as close or "real" as say the Stones or the Cleavers ("Beaver"). I watched a few episodes of "FKB" once in a while, and I saw one or two of the reunions they did. But, it was never my favorite show. "Donna" was way better and to me there was never any competition...but in the world of showbiz I'm sure both shows were trying to outdo each other.
Speaking of color...I've actually been meaning to ask something. Was there ever a color episode of "The Donna Reed Show"...say in the last season, which would have been the 1965-1966 season? The reason I ask is I know that for a year or two before this a few shows had been "flirting" with color episodes and the networks were trying to decide whether to go to color shows or not. During the 1965-1966 season all networks made the decision that for the next TV season (the 1966-1967 season) all shows would go to color, and there would no longer be any episodes filmed in black and white. To give viewers (who had a color TV) the idea of what their black and white shows would look like in color for next year, most networks had them make one color episode that 1965-1966 season. "Perry Mason" was one show that did this...out of its 280-some episodes there was only one color one in its last season. It did not come back the next season, as it too was cancelled in the spring of 1966, but they still wanted to show viewers what it would look like in case it did come back (as there was a chance "PM" would come back for one more season). I've never heard of a color "DRS" episode...but I don't think I've seen every episode from season 8 back in the Nick at Nite days either...so I thought I'd ask and see?

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
Mark, I did know that at one time Paul Petersen was going through a "dark" time, and things were not going well. I also knew that Donna was like a real mom to Paul and Shelley...not just a "TV" mom and the main cast member. However, I did not know that Donna, at one point, was so bitter towards her show! That's too bad! :confused: Was she upset and angry over her role on the show while it was still on...or did she become dissatisfied later, after her divorce from Tony Owen? I'm glad she again embraced her character and the show before she died! I know Robert Reed always hated his "Mike Brady" role on "The Brady Bunch", and the whole corny, goofy shallowness of the show itself. He originally wanted a more serious and realistic show, but the producers and creators said no and went with the "fluff" style instead. But, "The Donna Reed Show" was never "fluff" (although it had some goofy and silly moments too) and it had way more depth than say "The Brady Bunch"! I still doubt that if "The Donna Reed Show" had done a reunion of some kind, they would have had someone die or some tragic, depressing show. However, maybe they would have done something more serious and/or realistic...say with drugs or alcohol. I also did know that the cast stayed in touch and got together regularly years after the show went off the air...which no other show, that I know of, has ever done that before or since! Maybe one or two cast members of a show stay in touch some...but not the whole cast actually getting together to catch up on things, and still try and help or be there for each other if needed. That says it all right there!! I never cared as much for "Father Knows Best"...they didn't seem as close or "real" as say the Stones or the Cleavers ("Beaver"). I watched a few episodes of "FKB" once in a while, and I saw one or two of the reunions they did. But, it was never my favorite show. "Donna" was way better and to me there was never any competition...but in the world of showbiz I'm sure both shows were trying to outdo each other. Speaking of color...I've actually been meaning to ask something. Was there ever a color episode of "The Donna Reed Show"...say in the last season, which would have been the 1965-1966 season? The reason I ask is I know that for a year or two before this a few shows had been "flirting" with color episodes and the networks were trying to decide whether to go to color shows or not. During the 1965-1966 season all networks made the decision that for the next TV season (the 1966-1967 season) all shows would go to color, and there would no longer be any episodes filmed in black and white. To give viewers (who had a color TV) the idea of what their black and white shows would look like in color for next year, most networks had them make one color episode that 1965-1966 season. "Perry Mason" was one show that did this...out of its 280-some episodes there was only one color one in its last season. It did not come back the next season, as it too was cancelled in the spring of 1966, but they still wanted to show viewers what it would look like in case it did come back (as there was a chance "PM" would come back for one more season). I've never heard of a color "DRS" episode...but I don't think I've seen every episode from season 8 back in the Nick at Nite days either...so I thought I'd ask and see?
Drew, I absolutely have never seen a color episode of "The Donna Reed Show." I wouldn't mind if they colorized the series though... I know that they would all look great!! :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Drew, I absolutely have never seen a color episode of "The Donna Reed Show." I wouldn't mind if they colorized the series though... I know that they would all look great!! :)
Yeah, I didn't think there was one...but I don't believe I've seen every episode either. Maybe they knew for sure that was the last season and the show was not coming back, so that was a show they chose not to do a color episode?? Anway, it woud be awesome if they colorized it and also put out the DVD sets in color--but that would probably cost way too much money and..."others" would probably have the perverbial "cow" if it was even proposed. ;)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Neil Brock said:
He didn't have to come right out and say it Leo. Neil most always acts like he is resentful ever since "The Donna Reed Show Show" had been trying to come back to the point of being released once again on DVD! He didn't act this way when the seasons were continuing to be released by "Virgil Films and Entertainment," but as soon as this show was no longer being released by "Virgil Films and Entertainment" he seemed to want to think the worst, for example, that this series wasn't popular enough to have a continued DVD release! I always knew that Virgil Films did not throw "The Donna Reed Show" out the window so to speak, because of the false reason of it having poor DVD Sales, and that they were always very proud to be releasing "The Donna Reed Show" onto DVD! You see, I kept a rather close relationship with "Virgil Films and Entertainment" while they were releasing "The Donna Reed Show," and they had always shown me through their emails without a shadow of a doubt, that they were truly thrilled to have the 'Rights' to releasing "The Donna Reed Show" for Home Media. I know to a large extent what the problem truly was with Virgil Films not being able to release the 'Fourth Season' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show," but if I tell, I am afraid that I'll get another guy in serious trouble that was closely involved with "Virgil Films and Entertainment" during the time that they lost the rights to release this Television Series. It's a sticky situation and I don't want to risk creating hard feelings to all the parties involved at the time that the release of this product had sadly turned negative. I just want to get pass all the negative issues and look forward to the continued release of this series on DVD by a company that truly knows what they are doing...I admit, that I had mixed feelings about Virgil Films no longer releasing my Favorite TV Show, since I had been depressed when watching "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and other shows- For example, "The Patty Duke Show" with their very clear picture resolutions. And then comparing them with "The Donna Reed Show's picture quality which was no contest as you already know, since "The poor "Donna Reed Show's print transfers looked very inferior in comparison to these other two shows that I have mentioned, and this made me feel so very sad! This is why I said in one of my beginning posts on this subject of "The Donna Reed Show" 'Season 4' in regards to it no longer being released on DVD by the previous studio: Quote-"Yes, maybe "Shout! Factory" will take it over, since it seems to be doing a Wonderful Job according to them with the 'Complete Series' of the "Leave It To Beaver" TV Sitcom, with some very Clear Print Transfers. Maybe this is really 'Good News' after all concerning The Donna Reed Show! Maybe we will get more 'Extra Features' than we did with "Virgil Films & Entertainment." We will just have to wait and see... Who knows, they may even do the whole show over again offering us a 'Complete Box Set' of all Five Seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" ( I can dream can't I?) just like they are now doing with the "Leave It To Beaver" TV Series since "Shout! Factory" has now taken it over from Universal Pictures!" Unquote.Anyway, I wish nothing but good for "The Donna Reed Show" and I am so hoping that MPI will finally give this show the 'Love and Care' that it truly deserves!!

As is obvious from your many posts, you are a exuberant fan but obviously not very knowledgeable about how the industry works. The reason some shows look great on DVD, others so-so and some downright poor has nothing to do with the company sub-licensing it and everything to do with the company who owns it. Virgil, Shout, MPI, whoever, all they are doing is licensing these shows out and they are at the mercy of what elements they are given to work with. They are not multi-billion dollar companies like Warner and Universal and they don't have the money to spend a few hundred grand on remastering 40-50 year old shows that are going to sell a few thousand copies. They get what they get. Sometimes they get lucky and get a show that the studio has made beautiful tape transfers of. Other times, if they are dealing with a company like Fox, who neglects its back catalog, they'll get something like 30+ year old 1-inch tape dirty transfers from faded 16mm prints. The Donna Reeds are likely from the 1-inch transfers Sony made for Nick back in the 80s, although that wouldn't explain the cut episodes. Do we even know where the elements came from? Season 4 will be interesting to see as since they've not been syndicated since the 70s, no tape elements will exist and they will have to make new transfers. Because of that, they actually may wind up looking better than the previous seasons. But that has nothing to do with MPI vs Virgil but just a matter of them having to do new transfers out of necessity.
Yes Brock, MPI had the money to make the new transfers for 'Season 4' in spite of what you said about them being a smaller studio who didn't have the money to spend a few hundred grand on remastering 40-50 year old shows that are going to sell a few thousand copies. I do agree with you though, that "Shout! Factory" probably would NOT have the money, or want to spend the money to make new transfers, but at least "Shout! Factory" has a good relationship with Sony and would have been able to obtain from them the 1985 transfers for "The Donna Reed Show" as they did with "Dennis the Menace." Maybe though like was mentioned, Sony wouldn't be able to give anyone the 1985 transfers for "The Donna Reed Show" since they no longer owned the rights for the first five seasons of this series. The majority of people thought these copies that "Shout! Factory" was able to obtain from Sony which were from 1985 for the "Dennis the Menace" series, were quite nice copies when they had purchased them and were able to really view them on their own! "Virgil Films & Entertainment" obviously did not get these same 1985 transfers from Sony for "The Donna Reed Show," and wouldn't have the money behind them to even begin negotiating a deal with Sony of which they could afford to be able to obtain these 1985 transfers, if indeed they even could as I said before, with Sony no longer having the rights to The Donna Reed Series' first five seasons. This company "Virgil Films & Entertainment" was badly struggling financially, unlike "Shout! Factory" who quite obviously wasn't in this same financial predicament.MPI is now willing to make a deal with Sony to obtain the rights to the 'Sixth Season' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show" because the sales for this series 'Fourth Season' and 'Fifth Season' were very successful I was told!!! Personally, I thought the episodes with Bob Crane were sort of a welcome change because Shelley Fabares I had felt in some instances had started to become a little affected with the way she acted out her role for the Mary Stone Character. In some of the episodes for example, "The Make-over Man," Mary's voice was sounding higher than when she began the series, almost like a little girl voice, she was slowly becoming actress Ann Margaret. LOL... I happened to see an episode from 'Season 6' where Shelley just did a type of walk through appearance, with her coming down the stairs and then hugged her father while he was sitting in the living room in saying a few words to him and then walked back up the stairs again. The Mary character with the way Shelley had acted out her lines in this walk through segment, treated her Father like a complete and utter stranger, and when she had said her lines it wasn't even convincing! And the camera treated Shelley like a 'Queen' with the closeup they were giving her when she was merely walking back up the stairs, and then she turned her head sideways towards the camera with a very posed smile, as if she were a glamous princess and disappeared up the stairs out of the camera's sight. It was an odd little scene with Shelley Fabares acting like a movie queen rather than the Mary Stone character.The scenes Shelley Fabares did in her other guest appearances for the sixth & seventh season of "The Donna Reed Show" when her Mary Stone character had a bigger part were much better and enjoyable, I do admit! Don't get me wrong, I loved Shelley Fabares in "The Donna Reed Show" before she knew she was leaving the show to be in movies, which I had felt her knowledge of this fact affected her acting in some cases, but certainly not in all cases!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
season 2 is to be re-released on mar 24

have not followed all the particulars about the release

was there something wrong with that season that it needs to be done again ?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jimmyjet said:
season 2 is to be re-released on mar 24

have not followed all the particulars about the release

was there something wrong with that season that it needs to be done again ?
The original set is OOP and the license landed with MPI for seasons 4-5, so they're going back and getting 1-3 back out there.

...and hopefully seasons 6-8 one day. Maybe their recent troubles have made Sony more amenable to dealing with people.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
The Obsolete Man said:
The original set is OOP and the license landed with MPI for seasons 4-5, so they're going back and getting 1-3 back out there.

...and hopefully seasons 6-8 one day. Maybe their recent troubles have made Sony more amenable to dealing with people.
Maybe someday I'll spend the $ to get MPI's re-release sets...but I already have the original sets of Seasons 1-3, so I'm not sure spending that much more $ for something I already have is warranted at this time. I'm more interested in spending the $ for Seasons 6-8...yeah, I know, like that'll ever happen. :P

I really don't know if Sony will ever relent and allow the last 3 seasons to be released...they've always been "trouble" when it comes to releasing the older shows they own--even when there's a large fanbase begging. It's almost like they know people want it so they're purposely not going to give it to them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks