What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Unfortunately, it had to get pinned to my wall of "non-playable display albums" in my vinyl closet because I discovered it had a nasty warp...

LmpwZWc.jpeg
LmpwZWc.jpeg
LmpwZWc.jpeg

LmpwZWc.jpeg
LmpwZWc.jpeg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Interesting. Never knew that "Youth Gone Wild" was the first song on side2.

It appears back in 1988-1989, the record companies were still thinking of vinyl in regard to the track ordering. IIRC, it was usually the big "hits" songs which were placed as the first songs on side1 and side2.

Though by the time the first Skid Row album was released, I don't remember seeing a mass market vinyl version in record stores at the time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It seems like by the time vinyl versions were discontinued as a mass market product, there was no more popular second spot to dump the "big hits" into after the first track on a then-newly released cd.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I, too, assumed big hits like Youth Gone Wild and 18 and Life would be amongst the first tracks on the first side, but I wasn't a massive fan of this group (my wife actually ordered the album via Walmart.com) so I don't recall the original structure of the album.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
@Sam Posten's "Midnight Special" thread sent me down the rabbit hole of that series with what they've posted online. As part of that journey I discovered a "new" prog band from the 70s that's quite unique. Carmen - a group that combines flamenco music with progressive rock - yeah... They only released a handful of albums but it's very interesting stuff.

Here's their performance on that Midnight Special episode that piqued my interest:

Carmen - "Bullfight":

After looking up their discography and listening to it on Spotify, I decided I rather liked their first release, "Fandangos In Space," and picked up a copy for my collection ("Bullfight" is also on that release). Here's the title track from that album.

Carmen - "Fandangos In Space":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a 90s alternative band that's not yet been mentioned - Blind Melon. I tend to think of them as a kind of "One-Hit-Wonder" band based on the strength of their main hit, "No Rain," but they had other interesting material in the 2 releases which predated their lead singer's death from an overdose. And yet, they sound very much like a generic early 90s alternative product on that first release (OK... they are - today it mostly sounds somewhat dated). They deviated on the 2nd, which wasn't well received (I think it's more interesting).

Here's one of those interesting songs from their first album.

Blind Melon - "Tones of Home":

The hit that brought them fame (and remains somewhat infectious).

Blind Melon - "No Rain":

And a couple of tracks from their 2nd release, which has a much different overall sound yes is still familiar (mainly due to the vocals). At the time it was panned for being "too different" and "dark."

Blind Melon - "Car Seat (God's Presents)":

Blind Melon - "Mouthful Of Cavities":

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks