What's new

The Lady From Shanghai (Columbia, 1947) restoration (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
A 4K restoration debuts at the London Film Festival and is coming soon to blu-ray:
Citizen Kane may no longer automatically called the greatest film ever made, but a year after Orson Welles's movie was knocked off the top of Sight & Sound's poll on the 50 greatest films of all time, the late director is back in the spotlight with two world premieres.

This week, Too Much Johnson (1938), a forerunner to Citizen Kane, was screened where the director's "lost" silent film was found – in the Italian town of Pordenone. It coincided with the opening night of the London film festival, where the sparkling new restoration of The Lady from Shanghai (1947) will be unveiled.

Welles screened The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920) for his cast and crew prior to shooting The Lady from Shanghai. The madness pervading this expressionist silent classic is reflected in his delirious film noir, which one critic dubbed "the weirdest great movie ever made". The Lady from Shanghai is as fascinating for what happened during its making as for what appeared on screen.

The rest is here:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/oct/10/orson-welles-london-film-festival-lady-shanghai

LadyFromShanghai-1947-Columbia-stills.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Nice. The DVD was satisfactory but left quite a bit to be desired. A new transfer will do wonders for this film.

Since it's mentioned in that article, I'm curious if Too Much Johnson will also make any rounds on home video once it is restored by George Eastman House.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another 'bout damn time...

The most amazing part of this?

This isn't on BD in Europe either...(but like many...why is this getting European love first?)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Great news! I actually enjoy this film more than Kane.

Looking at the listing for The Stranger last night (need to order it), I was wishing for a BD of Lady, and now I read the news. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks