What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Last Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray You Watched (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
s-l500.webp
s-l500.webp
gjzsijmbs0b01.jpg
s-l500.webp

205298.gif

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
images

1979 ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION (HDR10+)

DEFINITELY SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE RESUME PLAYBACK PROTOCOL OF MY COPY -- WOULDN'T PICK UP FROM THE LAST STOPPED POSITION

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

9e6ba0a62677ed7880936a0d606e7c53563790e5.gifv

tumblr_ot1xa77etw1rp0vkjo1_540.gif

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
1714252341869.png

Annihilation is a 2018 science fiction psychological cosmic horror film, [screen] written and directed by Alex Garland, loosely based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Jeff VanderMeer. The story follows a group of scientists who enter "The Shimmer", a mysterious quarantined zone of mutating plants and animals caused by an alien presence.

It received positive reviews from critics and audiences, and grossed $43 million worldwide. According to Empire magazine, the film addresses "depression, grief, and the human propensity for self-destruction".

* Interesting adventure throughout, but all characters are just so isolated and very sad, making the film feel hopelessly nihilistic.
* Picture quality of Blu-ray was spectacularly rich, and detailed (on a 83" OLED)
* Audio quality (offers Dolby Atmos) defaulted into 7.1 and was fantastic. Most utilized audio I've ever heard in home theater, with the richest .1 LFEs, all second to Tron: Legacy (2010).

Anyone else have thoughts on this film?
1714252702439.png

Attachments

• 1714250572401.png
    1714250572401.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 1714250792068.png
    1714250792068.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 3

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watched this film for the first time on Saturday. Liked the film, loved the quality of the UHD. Kino Lorber has become one of the best video distribution companies.
IMG_0291.jpeg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Watched this film for the first time on Saturday. Liked the film, loved the quality of the UHD. Kino Lorber has become one of the best video distribution companies. View attachment 221058
I agree and disagree with regard to your assessment of Kino; I hate the fact that they author their discs without chapter skip protocols in the menu systems. Their transfers are hit or miss in terms of quality; mostly hit. I also don't like the fact that many of their titles don't come with slipcases for the prices they ask (although this may be a matter of me obtaining certain titles after they've been in circulation for awhile -- for example, my Blu-ray of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and 4K UHD of Invasion of the Body Snatchers didn't come with slips).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I agree and disagree with regard to your assessment of Kino; I hate the fact that they author their discs without chapter skip protocols in the menu systems. Their transfers are hit or miss in terms of quality; mostly hit. I also don't like the fact that many of their titles don't come with slipcases for the prices they ask (although this may be a matter of me obtaining certain titles after they've been in circulation for awhile -- for example, my Blu-ray of The Taking of Pelham One Two Three and 4K UHD of Invasion of the Body Snatchers didn't come with slips).
I guess it’s a good thing that I don’t look for specific chapters when I put a film on. Now that you mentioned it, the KL UHD discs generally have a play, setup and subtitle icon in the menu page, and no chapter icon.
As for Body Snatchers- I have that one, but don’t recall if mine has a slipcover.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I guess it’s a good thing that I don’t look for specific chapters when I put a film on. Now that you mentioned it, the KL UHD discs generally have a play, setup and subtitle icon in the menu page, and no chapter icon.
As for Body Snatchers- I have that one, but don’t recall if mine has a slipcover.
I use the chapter menus because I often don't finish a film the first time I watch it, depending on the hour of the night. When I go back to the disc the next day, I have to physically fast forward through the chapters to find where I left off. I'd rather access it via the main menu where I can see the names/images of the chapter stops.

I don't look for specific chapters randomly when I start a disc.

For the money they charge, I just feel like their packaging could be a bit more deluxe in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks