What's new

Pre-Order The Last Starfighter (1984) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
332978_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, well, well. Their last BRD of this title was very nice indeed, but I wonder how much the film will benefit from the 4K treatment. I think I'll be waiting on a few reviews before plunking down the cash on this release. Happy to see it hitting 4K though, and I hope it looks spectacular.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Well, well, well. Their last BRD of this title was very nice indeed, but I wonder how much the film will benefit from the 4K treatment. I think I'll be waiting on a few reviews before plunking down the cash on this release. Happy to see it hitting 4K though, and I hope it looks spectacular.
The early CGI effects may suffer somewhat, but the rest of the film should look pretty good.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
I was on the fence about getting this since I own the 1080p Arrow release but my local Best Buy had 4-5 copies on the shelf and the price was only $24.99 & I had a $20 reward cert. It didn't ring up at the register and when they checked it online they were going to charge me $34.99 so I had to point out what the shelf tag said. There is another UPC sticker attached to the plastic wrap over the UPC on the slipcover which is causing the not ringing up issue.

As for the disc there is an uptick in PQ, grain is better resolved decent upgrade over the previous Arrow release.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As for the disc there is an uptick in PQ, grain is better resolved decent upgrade over the previous Arrow release.
My copy is coming on the slow boat from Deep Discount, but should arrive next Wednesday. I'm happy to hear your positive opinion of the 4K release since I also have the pretty excellent Arrow Blu.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I screened this last night on my new 77" LG G3 and thought it looked GREAT! The film has always been grainy and a bit soft, but the 4K has it looking as good as I've ever seen it, and the HDR is tastefully done. A quick comparison with the excellent 2020 Arrow Blu-ray release shows a very noticeable improvement to my eyes. WELL worth the upgrade IMO!

This film is goofy and pure 80s cheese, but the casting, sincere performances, editing, score, and script all come together and create something really special I think. It's been a favorite of mine since the first time I saw it, and I'm happy to see it looking and sounding so good.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, well, well. Their last BRD of this title was very nice indeed, but I wonder how much the film will benefit from the 4K treatment.

But...but...the effects were done on a Cray!

I liked this film well enough when it came out, but I don't feel a need to revisit it. I saw this with a group of SF fans. All of us knew Gordon Garb, one of the guys behind Digital Productions. The highlights for us were cheering when his name came up in the end titles scroll.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
THE LAST STARFIGHTER remains a lot of fun. It was interesting at the time for being one of the first films with all computer effects - an early CGI pioneer. The video game player becoming a real life pilot gambit has been used several times since including basically being swiped as the basis for PIXELS (2015). Sequels and remakes have been rumored, but not come to pass although LAST STARFIGHTER has inspired Video Games, Comics and even a stage show.

What really makes STARFIGHTER work is the solid cast with Lance Guest in the title role, Catherine Mary Stuart as the girlfriend, and most especially, Robert Preston as Centauri. It was to be Preston's last feature film. Nick Castle's direction has a nice feel to it and Craig Safan's score is a pretty good John Williams imitation. The effects are obviously from a different era, but are still entertaining. The film just has heart.

starfighter3.jpg

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And don't forget Dan O'Herlihy's performance as Grig. He is the glue that holds the entire thing together IMO, and he did an amazing job emoting through all of that latex. It's just a wonderful film, despite its flaws.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
And don't forget Dan O'Herlihy's performance as Grig. He is the glue that holds the entire thing together IMO, and he did an amazing job emoting through all of that latex. It's just a wonderful film, despite its flaws.
Speaking of latex and Dan O'Herlihy - he was terrific as the mask-maker in HALLOWEEN III

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WHixson
Recent bookmarks