What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Roadshow Interstitials on Home Video Challenge (1 Viewer)

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I want you to read this statement, with equal interest for those looking for a proper length on a film and an insight on wether or not the Intersitials originally were recorded or presented on either audio or video.

Legends:

✅ Yes/Originally Recorded during Post-Production
❌ No / Tracked/Repeated score from a scene or a number on a soundtrack album
"ABC text": Specific

Note:

Please put the legend icons inside the brackets: "[ ]" beside the following titles.

Films:

Overture:
  1. King Kong (1933)
  2. 1776 (1972)
Intermission/Entr'acte Music:
  1. West Side Story (1961)
  2. 1776 (1972)
  3. Heaven's Gate (1980)
Exit Music:
  1. The Alamo (1960)
  2. Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
  3. The Hallelujah Trail (1965)
  4. Star! (1968)
Bonus (Exit Musics with Additional Restoration credits):
  1. Spartacus (1960)
  2. The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962)
  3. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  4. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
  5. My Fair Lady (1964)
Results with sources used for interstitials will come in later…

If I have missed any films with Interstitials that need to be validated at original, free to share your thoughts.

Good Luck posters, historians @haineshisway and restorationists @Strohmaier and @Robert Harris, I'm counting on you folks :)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Weren't the Overture and Ent'racte of 1776 produced exclusively for the Pioneer laserdisc?

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Weren't the Overture and Ent'racte of 1776 produced exclusively for the Pioneer laserdisc?
Correct. And the LaserDisc Interstitial sources were all tracked underscores from the film and come from what I remember, as follows:

Overture:
  1. Adams comes down the stairs. (Commitment [Underscore])
  2. Martha and Thomas Jefferson kiss (He Plays the Violin [Underscore])
  3. Dickinson's Entrance (Cool Considerate Men [Underscore])/Dr. Franklin's Entrance to Congress (The Egg [Underscore No. 2] Heard longer on the 1972 Theatrical Version and 1992 LD Version [IIRC] and 2002/2015 Director's Cut and 2015 Extended Cut have dialed out the 2nd part of the number).
  4. Going to New Brunswick (But, Mr. Adams [Underscore])
The first 22 seconds of the Main Titles [The Lees of Old Virginia] which are present on the 1992 LD (after Overture is finished) are omitted from the 2002/2015 Director's Cuts and 2015 Extended Version [and instead the music fades in to the end of the Columbia Logo].

Intermission:

Compliments (Outro) [Instrumental]

Entr'acte:
  1. Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve (an Instrumental underscore not used [I think] in the film).
  2. Yours, Yours Yours (Underscore) [Used in the 1972 Theatrical Version and 1992 LD Version but not used in the 2002/2015 Director's Cuts and 2015 Extended Version)]
  3. Compliments (Instrumental)

@Ronald Epstein You may fact check, If I managed to beat the odds…

My Personal Answer: No actual Music was recorded for the Overture, Intermission and Entr'acte have been recorded.

Ergo: 1776 (1972) [❌]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks