What's new

Pre-Order The Tin Star (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I was going to pre-order this, as I've always wanted to see it in the majesty of its original 8 perf-splendor--I have a thing for b&w VistaVision, especially westerns, and this IMO, is a great one--but the text on the Amazon site, apparently taken from the Arrow box, along with all the extras, only lists a generic "remastered 1080p", and nothing about 4k or the OCN, so I'll wait on reviews.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
More than you think there was:

Yeah, I guess that's what subscribing to TCM for many years can do to a fella! ;) I'm still waiting for someone to allow a la carte subscriptions. Can't afford both a satellite feed plus a kazillion channels I won't watch just to have my favorite channel, unfortunately.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I'll buy this regardless, but I'd love for this to be a 4K (or 6K) scan of the OCN VistaVision.

I recently bought the Christopher Award Anthony Mann won for "The Glenn Miller Story" off ebay. It's neat to have something he probably touched with his own hands.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yeah, I guess that's what subscribing to TCM for many years can do to a fella! ;) I'm still waiting for someone to allow a la carte subscriptions. Can't afford both a satellite feed plus a kazillion channels I won't watch just to have my favorite channel, unfortunately.
So true! The only reason I still pay for cable is to have access to the WatchTCM app. Really wish I could just purchase it without having to pay for cable

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Paramount is doing a great job with their VistaVision westerns and it seems that previous disc releases have sold well enough that they now release The Tin Star.
Now I'm hoping Paramount can upgrade their "modern day" western, 1963's Hud to Blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm hoping Paramount can upgrade their "modern day" western, 1963's Hud to Blu-ray.

There actually is an Australian release but probably from an older master:

We never got anything good on disc for The Tin Star so this Blu-ray is a welcome sight.

I just would like to see a bit more information about the digital assets used to create this release as this was after all a VistaVision production. What people should remember however even if it comes "only" from a 2K scan is that this means something like 3k by 2k if they went back to the 35mm 8-perf negative.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There actually is an Australian release but probably from an older master:

We never got anything good on disc for The Tin Star so this Blu-ray is a welcome sight.

I just would like to see a bit more information about the digital assets used to create this release as this was after all a VistaVision production. What people should remember however even if it comes "only" from a 2K scan is that this means something like 3k by 2k if they went back to the 35mm 8-perf negative.
If you watch this Blu-ray you wouldn’t care what assets were used to create this disc. It’s that good!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If you watch this Blu-ray you wouldn’t care what assets were used to create this disc. It’s that good!

Just asking because I am interested not because I would not buy.

There are some caps over at DVDbeaver by the way and they look outstanding. Very fine and natural detail, simply stunning!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks