What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Trial (1962) Orson Welles 4K UHD disc. (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Website Wellesnet is reporting that StudioCanal will release on 4K UHD Orson Welles's The Trial sometime in the fall in the UK. A theatrical release is also planned in the US by Rialto Pictures later this year. I do have the StudioCanal Blu-ray released in 2012 and it does look fine but the recent restoration will make the new one look much better.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That's a very cool anouncement. The current Blu is good but a careful 4K release could beat it in spades. I've always though this was the one of the best examples of future dystopia in cinema, on par with 1984. Kafka and Orwell, as well as Margaret Atwood, had many crossover ideas, and a number of them seem to be edging into reality as I type this. Had we only paid heed at the time they were written...

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the room with the 850 office desks with the secretaries and office workers on their typewriters.

1652401212034.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Somehow I’ve never gotten around to seeing this one - at least my slowness will be rewarded with a higher quality version to watch. Looking forward to it!

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Only seen this movie once and thought it was brilliant in many parts but found it a bit erratic in its rhythm and it seemed to drag on a bit longer than it should have.

A big admirer of Welles but it is difficult what to make of a lot of his movies due to the low budgets and what appears to be his self destructive tendency to lose interest in his own projects for one reason or another.

Not aware of the details behind the making of this film but it would not surprise me if Welles was hustling for funding before during and after shooting the movie with perhaps a lot of uncertainty whilst working on the project.

The editing seems strange to me which might be due to not enough footage from running out of funds during production or maybe Welles lost interest and someone else finished it or something.

Tempted to buy this and revisit the movie again to see how it appears on a second viewing.

It's definitely got a lot going for it.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
One of my favorite scenes in the movie is the room with the 850 office desks with the secretaries and office workers on their typewriters.

View attachment 138340

Yes. I enjoyed this set too. You can tell by the appearance of these sets that they did a very good job of making not much money go a very long way.

Welles would have made many masterpieces if he had the budgets to do so.

His vision and creativity and the way he seemed to grasp how visual cinema should be was only matched and bettered by very few film-makers.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The movie will be shown at the Film Forum in New York City distributed by Rialto Pictures on December 9 and run two weeks through December 22. They will be showing the recent 60th anniversary 4K restoration of the film.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here is the new artwork for the upcoming UK 4K release and you can now preorder it on Amazon UK and other sites No release date yet but the extras include This is Orson Welles, new trailer, Welles - Architect of Light, interview with Steven Berkoff, deleted scene and trailer.

1665836955869.png

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just received my shipping notice from Amazon UK and very happy about that. It would have been nice to have a commentary on it but i hope Criterion will do that when they release their version

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recommend watching it before buying. Welles problem is that he peaked too soon. My favs are Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Lady from Shanghai. Magnificent Ambersons is just OK for me, probably due to whats available.
I thought "The Stranger" (1946) is a very good movie!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I recommend watching it before buying. Welles problem is that he peaked too soon. My favs are Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Lady from Shanghai. Magnificent Ambersons is just OK for me, probably due to whats available.
Welles' problem was that he was his own worst enemy with a compulsion to annoy people he needed to keep on the right side of. John Houseman who worked with him in the theater before Hollywood beckoned mentions this in his splendid autobiography Run Through.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Of course it doesn't matter now that some of his later films were a mess and not well received, CK and his War of the Worlds broadcast gave him creative immortality. Looking forward to The Lady from Shanghai SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks