What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Vast of Night (2020)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Title: The Vast of Night (2020)

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Science Fiction

Director: Andrew Patterson

Cast: Sierra McCormick, Jake Horowitz, Gail Cronauer, Bruce Davis, Cheyenne Barton, Gregory Peyton, Mallorie Rodak, Mollie Milligan, Ingrid Fease, Brandon Stewart, Kirk Griffith, Nika Sage McKenna, Brett Brock, Pam Dougherty, Lynn Blackburn, Richard Jackson, James Mayberry, Nicolette Doke, Grant James, Libby Villari, Gordon Fox, John Gindling, Brianna Beasley, Chamblee Ferguson, L.A. Young

Release: 2020-05-15

Runtime: 91

Plot: At the dawn of the space-race, two radio-obsessed teens discover a strange frequency over the airwaves in what becomes the most important night of their lives and in the history of their small town.

I don't often start threads, and I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but I wanted to start a thread for "The Vast of NIght". As I mentioned in another thread, I'm really excited about this one because I have several friends and former students that were a part of making it and I want to get the word out about it to support them.

It is playing at select drive-ins around the country this weekend before releasing on Amazon's Prime Video. It was going to have a larger and different theatrical run, but you know...global pandemic. It won the Audience Award for best narrative feature at last year's Slamdance Film Festival and played at this year's Toronto International Film Festival where Amazon Studios announced their acquisition of it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
“The Vast of Night” is available on Amazon’s Prime Video now. Currently sitting at 85 on Metacritic and 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s a great Friday night kind of movie.

6DDA1C26-E35A-4BDE-A893-42B797DBD7D0.jpeg

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Watched it. Loved it.

It crackles with energy from start to finish. The dialogue in the first 10 minutes pops with Sorkin-esque briskness. The undercurrent of tension in some scenes reminds me of Lynch.

There's a long take (it felt like 10 minutes!) with Fay that is absolutely riveting. There's a single take from the switchboard down the street and across a field into the gym and up the bleachers and out the top window and down into the radio station that is simply awesome.

Sierra McCormick is a star.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We watched it last night and loved it as well. However, I must say that it looked absolutely horrible. Blown out blacks and "grainy" as hell. It's like the gamma was cranked up to 11. I'm sure this look was an intentional choice made by the filmmakers, but I found it to be extremely distracting. 4K? Why did they bother?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to hearing what you thought about it.

I thought it was very well done. Brisk and crisp dialog that reminded me of Tarantino's scripts. Beautifully done sets and cinematography. They shot for an 'Outer Limits' type of feel and achieved it. Some of the image framing choices had me guessing for a possible outcome that was different than how it finished.

Excellent, from beginning to end!

Mark

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought it was very well done. Brisk and crisp dialog that reminded me of Tarantino's scripts. Beautifully done sets and cinematography. They shot for an 'Outer Limits' type of feel and achieved it. Some of the image framing choices had me guessing for a possible outcome that was different than how it finished.

Excellent, from beginning to end!

Mark

Mark, how did it look to you? Please see my post above yours. I'd be very interested in your opinion.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mark, how did it look to you? Please see my post above yours. I'd be very interested in your opinion.

In the early going, I was surprised by the blacks that were more grey than black and the generally grainy look of the thing, but my brain quickly adapted and I was fine with it from then on. It seemed clear to me the filmmakers were intentionally going for a retro 1950s type look.

Mark

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We watched it last night and loved it as well. However, I must say that it looked absolutely horrible. Blown out blacks and "grainy" as hell. It's like the gamma was cranked up to 11. I'm sure this look was an intentional choice made by the filmmakers, but I found it to be extremely distracting. 4K? Why did they bother?

The original files that they were working with were 6K Red files and an early sizzle reel I saw looked fantastic. Now, I do know that they added some “grain” and other coloring choices after I saw that footage. I also heard from one person involved that as he watched it a couple of times this weekend with friends and family that it didn’t look that great to him, but one setup and viewing was worse than the other. I actually haven’t been able to watch it on my setup yet.

Me too.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hopefully this movie will get a disc release. I'll buy it just to see what it looks like.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Gave this movie a watch this past weekend and absolutely loved it. It all worked so well together. I suggested it to a friend and they loved it too.

I watched this on my 4K projector and 135" screen and the graininess was distracting for a while but I must have become so wrapped up in the movie that I eventually forgot about it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So, we watched it on Monday night and this is what the black level during the opening credits looked like. Nothing else that we watch on Amazon looks like this so I’d say based on this and other reports I'm getting that there is something strange going on. Yes, the filmmakers did some things to make it a bit more vintage and lo-fi, but at times the stream is looking worse than intended and inconsistent.

E6E540FD-B1AC-4866-94E3-8743460D39D7.jpeg

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
David, that replicates what I'm seeing on my setup exactly. Something's not right.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks