What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Wizard of Oz (Remake) (2026) (2 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Most Oz adaptations are musical to an extent though, they don't all have the songs and dances of the 1939 classic, but there is usually a few songs throughout them.
I’m talking about the source novel. Not adaptations.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You're losing this argument just like you did a few years back with what was a better earthquake film, the original 1974 film or San Andreas
What a silly and absurd comment. I could say the same about you not knowing the difference between the theatrical version of IAMMW and the extended version arguing that deleted scenes were in the theatrical version. Move on dude. You’re embarrassing yourself. Again. 😆

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We all know that it is possible to make a musical based on The Wizard of Oz. We've all seen the original film. There's also The Wiz and (sigh) Wicked and The Muppets Wizard of Oz. If Kenya Barris wants to make this film a musical, he can. I don't think @Tino is disputing that.

The point is that it would also be possible to adapt the story without songs if the filmmakers want to go that route. They are not required to make this a musical.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
We all know that it is possible to make a musical based on The Wizard of Oz. We've all seen the original film. There's also The Wiz and (sigh) Wicked and The Muppets Wizard of Oz. If Kenya Barris wants to make this film a musical, he can. I don't think @Tino is disputing that.

The point is that it would also be possible to adapt the story without songs if the filmmakers want to go that route. They are not required to make this a musical.
Exactly. Thanks for getting the point Jake.👍 It wasn’t that hard was it?🤪

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My question is what makes a project a remake of the 1939 movie as opposed to just being another adaptation/interpretation of the original book?
Agreed. It’s not a remake if it’s based on the source material.

Just like the Coen Bros True Grit is not a remake of the John Wayne film.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
My question is what makes a project a remake of the 1939 movie as opposed to just being another adaptation/interpretation of the original book?

It would be a remake if it was shot by shot, word for word, just like Gus Van Sant did with his Psycho in 1998.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That is not the definition of a remake. There are plenty of remakes that are not shot for shot and word for word.

“A remake is a film, television series, video game, song or similar form of entertainment that is based upon and retells the story of an earlier production in the same medium—e.g., a "new version of an existing film". Wikipedia

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My friend is actually a screenwriter and has also written a script based on the book. It’s been in development hell for over 10 years. It’s a sore subject for him. 😡

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There have been so many riffs on It's a Wonderful Life over the past 75 years that a literal remake seems superfluous at this point. Also, there hasn't been a good movie based on or inspired by The Wizard of Oz since 1939, but it's inspirational, I guess, that people keep trying.

Depends on what you mean by "based on or inspired by". Jake mentioned Oz the Great and Powerful. I'd add the 1985 film Return to Oz. While it's technically a sequel that uses material from other Oz novels, it did have Dorothy's ruby slippers, which makes a direct inspiration from the 1939 film.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

That would depend on whether it used material that was specific to the 1939 film. Like, as I mentioned above, Dorothy's ruby slippers appear in Return to Oz. In the original novel, the slippers were silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks