What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Time Flies: Apple event confirmed for 9/15 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1599578110785.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe a new ATV this year after all?

Of course, I bit the bullet and upgraded my final Mini a couple months ago, but I kind of doubt anything new there since they just refreshed it, as minor as it was.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gruber thinks it’s an Apple Watch event, with iPhones in a later event.

Daring Fireball: Apple Announces Virtual ‘Time Flies’ Event Next Tuesday
So Apple has some product announcements ready now (Apple Watch Series 6, for sure, and updated iPad Airs seem likely), and iPhones ready later. Options on the table for Apple:

1. Hold one event now, and unveil the new iPhones a full month or longer before availability.
  2. Hold one event in October, and make the Apple Watch and iPad Air wait.
  3. Hold separate events in September and October.
Apple has obviously chosen option 3. I’m in the camp who believes there often aren’t any noteworthy clues in the logos or event names for Apple events, but you don’t have be a genius to guess that “Time Flies” implies that Apple Watch is the headliner at next week’s event, which, in turn, means that there will be no iPhones announced.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That won't stop the flood of "waaaah I am disappointed no new iPhones today" and "Waaaah apple is a 2 trillion dollar company but they are 3 weeks 'late' announcing a phone that I am definitely going to buy anyway whenever it comes out" posts tho.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not shopping for Watch this year. But if against all likelihood a new low cost, no bezel watch is announced, I’d think about upgrading from my S3.

iPad Air. Normally, I’m all about buying the middle product. But with the iPad line, I don’t get the Air. The $329 iPad ($250 on kinda frequent sales!) is a no brainer. The Pro is super expensive but does everything (though the 2020 “upgrade” leaves me perplexed). But the Air...I don’t get it. It feels like the high cost but low performance option. It doesn’t feel like a sweet price/performance option a middle child should be.

So...what does this new rumored Air bring us? Maybe I upgrade this year but get the Air instead of the pro for 2020? Curious what’s coming.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
iPad Air. Normally, I’m all about buying the middle product. But with the iPad line, I don’t get the Air. The $329 iPad ($250 on kinda frequent sales!) is a no brainer. The Pro is super expensive but does everything (though the 2020 “upgrade” leaves me perplexed). But the Air...I don’t get it. It feels like the high cost but low performance option. It doesn’t feel like a sweet price/performance option a middle child should be.

The iPad Air does have a nicer screen (wide-gamut, laminated, with anti-reflective coatings), and a faster CPU than the regular iPad. Maybe if Apple had thrown in USB-C, and more flash storage, that would have made a nice "middle niche" for it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Not shopping for Watch this year. But if against all likelihood a new low cost, no bezel watch is announced, I’d think about upgrading from my S3.
I have the last one (was it called Apple Watch 5??), yet I would love to upgrade:
I absolutely, positively love my Apple Watch -- the always on display was a game changer for me because I've always warn my watches on the inside of the wrist, and the older Apple watches (I had the gen zero and 3) I always had to tap to see the time - I no longer do.
BUT, the battery life (I've always had the smaller ones) is hugely inferior than the 3. It typically does not make it through a full day for me.
Thus if the new Apple Watch has a longer battery life, I will be very, very eager to get it. May still not, have to spend the whatever spare pennies I have on a new TV to replace our LG OLED one whose display has gone bad. Why hasn't Apple released an Apple "Cinema Display" TV, so I could have a TV covered by Apple Care?!?

iPad: I probably will be upset if a new iPad Pro arrives -- I will be disappointed with not clinging to my 10.5" iPad Pro and not upgrading, which I did, due to the battery (instead of spending on having it replaced) and the extra storage. The irony is the battery was so important to me for our regular summer trip to Europe, which got canceled due to COVID-19...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New iPad Pro is rumored for this year, but I don’t think it’s expected for next week. I don’t understand what’s going on with the iPad Pro, and have given up trying to guess if/when/what its next upgrade will be.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The iPad Air does have a nicer screen (wide-gamut, laminated, with anti-reflective coatings), and a faster CPU than the regular iPad. Maybe if Apple had thrown in USB-C, and more flash storage, that would have made a nice "middle niche" for it.
It’s because the basic iPad is so good that I don’t feel the iPad Air as a good purchase choice. The Air is basically twice the price of the iPad but is nowhere near twice as good.

The Pro is super expensive, but is Apple’s top device with all iPad features, so I get that as a luxury or pro purchase over the iPad.

The iPad Air...it needs a little more features or a little less cost. Maybe next week brings that?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

So...what does this new rumored Air bring us? Maybe I upgrade this year but get the Air instead of the pro for 2020? Curious what’s coming.
Normally I go for the basic model, but earlier this year I was splurging a bit and as I recall the Air had a much better processor than the basic one and more memory, and the better display. It kind of made sense to me. I got a refurb, as usual.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Pro is super expensive, but is Apple’s top device with all iPad features, so I get that as a luxury or pro purchase over the iPad.

Or a workhorse. I know you guys don't believe it is as good or better than a laptop for data processing but it really is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
new ARM computers, maybe they're announced next week. Maybe they get their own separate event in October. That's one of the curious questions everyone's waiting to see.

With iPhone sales likely postponed to October and November, I'm guessing iPhones get their own event September 29. No reason to risk iPhone stealing Watch media coverage when they not shipping for a month or two.

We'll see in a couple days. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, question about ARM computers...

Hypothetically if Apple announced and I bought a Pro in the next few weeks...

I know some apps are not "optimized" for ARM at the moment.

However, will they at least work?

Or is it like going from Mojave to Catalina where 32-bit apps no longer worked?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
So, question about ARM computers...

Hypothetically if Apple announced and I bought a Pro in the next few weeks...

I know some apps are not "optimized" for ARM at the moment.

However, will they at least work?

Many will. Much as the Intel versions of Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard had Rosetta (for running Mac OS X / PowerPC binaries), so the ARM version of Big Sur will have Rosetta 2 (for running macOS / Intel binaries).

Rosetta couldn't run everything, and I wouldn't expect Rosetta 2 to be able to run absolutely everything, either. However, applications that do not depend on kernel extensions should have a good chance of working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks