What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Titanic 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
RolandL said:
Caps-a-holic has a 1.78 to 2.35 comparison
Call me a troll, call me a heretic. Burn me at the stake, but from those Caps-a-holic caps I think I prefer the composition of the 1.78:1 frame to the 2.35:1. I'll have to see the movie properly to be sure, and whaddaya know, it's in the mail.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The Imax version on 15/70 was not 2.35.1 is was opened up, the 3D Digital was 2.35.1 in Liemax.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
All IMAX presentations of Titanic were shown 1:78.1 whether 15/70 or digital.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just started watching it so nothing of real substance to say that hasn't been covered in the review. One observation I wanted to make, and it concerns the subtitles, is the size of the subtitles. I think most people now have rather large screens (as compared to the old 27" and 35" we had in the 90s) and I didn't realize until I watched Titanic's BD subs that standard BD subtitle font size is rather large and takes up a ton of screen real estate.
Titanic's subs are considerably smaller. Still very legible to me (60" screen from 11 feet away). But doesn't disturb the picture much. Using my Oppo to move it down to the black bars gives me the best of both worlds: subs that fit mostly in the bar disturbing less of the picture. :tu::tu:

Bruxism

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
Thanks for the review Neil.
Since I missed this in theatres I had better start saving for a 3D TV!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, there used to be a member on this board that constantly would post
things like "Upconverted 2D is no good" and "Anything upconverted is
not real 3D."

Well, I wonder what that person would be saying after watching this
3D Blu-ray release of TITANIC.

I just finished my viewing, and I am still stunned by what I had seen.

Titanic was never particularly a favorite film of mine, but I couldn't help
but be reawakened to this film through it's 3D beauty. The level of depth
is outstanding.

This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched. In fact,
it is among the best 3D films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think that's going to be alot of people's reaction to the conversion. Based on the 3-D trailer, I had pretty high hopes but I still had reservations. When I finally saw the movie, I was really amazed by how well it managed to translate to 3-D. And as a fan of the actual ship, seeing things like the Grand Staircase in 3-D was even more amazing than it was in 2-D.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
It certainly helps that Cameron supervised the conversion. Many may not realize this, but there were a lot of scenes in "Avatar" that were converted as well.

GregK

Screenwriter
Dave Vaughn said:
It certainly helps that Cameron supervised the conversion. .
The 18 million spent on 2-D to 3-D conversion costs and over a year's worth of work helped too. :D
It is safe to say other conversions do not get that kind of TLC..

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Ronald Epstein said:
So, there used to be a member on this board that constantly would post
things like "Upconverted 2D is no good" and "Anything upconverted is
not real 3D."
Well, I wonder what that person would be saying after watching this
3D Blu-ray release of TITANIC.
I just finished my viewing, and I am still stunned by what I had seen.
Titanic was never particularly a favorite film of mine, but I couldn't help
but be reawakened to this film through it's 3D beauty.  The level of depth
is outstanding.
This is the finest upconverted 3D film I have ever watched.  In fact, 
it is among the best 3D films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.
I'm happy to hear this, because my copy is on the way. BUT:
When I saw this film in 3D in theatres, it struck me as a bit 'planar'... like, the characters looked kind of like 2D cutouts standing in 3-dimensional space, like a pop-up book. Not so on the blu? I recall similar things with The Phantom Menace.
Fears unfounded? Thoughts?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by ijthompson /t/323560/titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3973178
When I saw this film in 3D in theatres, it struck me as a bit 'planar'... like, the characters looked kind of like 2D cutouts standing in 3-dimensional space, like a pop-up book. Not so on the blu? I recall similar things with The Phantom Menace.

TPM has maddeningly subpar. With George Lucas behind this and what could have been done with the movie, I was left cold and vastly underwhelmed. Nothing stood out to me as particularly memorable or well done; it was TMP I've seen dozens of times before. Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning, especially the ballroom scene. Depth, three dimensional feeling without items jumping out in your face.

Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because." This was a fully realized environment and I kept wanting to peek behind various objects to see what was there.

For the record, I am very very excited for Finding Nemo in 3D this weekend.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jason_V said:
TPM has maddeningly subpar.  With George Lucas behind this and what could have been done with the movie, I was left cold and vastly underwhelmed.  Nothing stood out to me as particularly memorable or well done; it was TMP I've seen dozens of times before.  Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand, was absolutely stunning, especially the ballroom scene.  Depth, three dimensional feeling without items jumping out in your face.
Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because."  This was a fully realized environment and I kept wanting to peek behind various objects to see what was there. 
For the record, I am very very excited for Finding Nemo in 3D this weekend. 
Me too. And I'm looking forward to seeing Titanic in 3D as well.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Jason_V said:
Titanic and Avatar both created depth for me without throwing items at the screen "just because."
I recall one fantastic 3D scene in the film: Billy Zane entering a flooded (dining?) room, where the water close to the camera was very close, and it receded nicely into the far distance. But much of the rest of the film struck me as very, again, 'planar'. I'm not asking for lots of 'pop-outs', but I do like the characters to look 3-dimensional in the scene. Do we have it?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
eric scott richard said:
Did anyone see the screencaps circulating on the web of the 3D version of the blu-ray where some of Kate Winslet's hair was digitally deleted, and some more added? I guess it's because the stray hairs wouldn't work in the conversion process. I've never seen anything like that!
Do you have a link to this? I can't find anything about it after some Googling.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Again 3D is two images so I'm not sure posting one image of two will give you all the details... Like listening to one side of the stereo track...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched some of it yesterday. Looks like it was filmed in 3D. Best Buy has it for $24.99 with a coupon.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Took a sneak preview chapter-skipping through the first disc last night, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I think I said "this is incredible" more than the allotted number of times.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ijthompson said:
Actually, that's how I think all 3D films look to some extent. There is depth between the individual images; but often the images themselves display no depth. One 3D scene that stood out for me (no pun intended) on the Blu-ray is when Kate Winslet is sitting at her dressing table brushing her hair when Billy Zane comes in through the door. You get a 3D separation of Winslet from the mirror; then the reflection itself displays depth within the mirror; and then Zane is yet another depth with his reflection.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
David_B_K said:
the individual images; but often the images themselves display no depth. One 3D scene that stood out for me (no pun intended) on the Blu-ray is when Kate Winslet is sitting at her dressing table brushing her hair when Billy Zane comes in through the door. You get a 3D separation of Winslet from the mirror; then the reflection itself displays depth within the mirror; and then Zane is yet another depth with his reflection.
Agree. Certain moments in 3D films will sometimes briefly remind me of certain View-Master scenes in which some of the people or objects or scenery appear a little like a cardboard cutout that's been placed there. But I felt no more of that with Titanic than with any other 3D film. In fact, in half expecting or watching for it, there were moments where I was astounded at how well "rounded" or "three dimensional" the elements appeared. And yes, that scene at the dressing table mirror is exceptional.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, Titanic looks like "real" 3D movies I've seen on Blu-ray. I never had the feeling that it was a conversion at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King-greg
Recent bookmarks