What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Top 10 Favourite 70s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just learned of a highly acclaimed movie, Sounder (1972) and it seems very interesting.
Unfortunately I see the last DVD was released by Disney in 2003.
So unless another studio has the rights now, we'll never see a Bluray! :(

I've been anxious for an upgrade for this wonderful, Oscar-nominated film ever since the crumby DVD came out, which is way-y too soft to really enjoy (borderline blurry, in fact). There are so many films like this that are great family films, superbly-acted, having layers of meaning (others would include A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA and WHERE THE LILIES BLOOM) that are just sitting in someone's vaults, not seeing the light of a truly fine high-def transfer. And don't confuse the gorgeous 1972 original of SOUNDER (distributed by Fox back then, but with someone else now) with the 2003 Disney t.v. movie remake, mistakenly cited above. You want the one with the heartbreaking performance by Cicely Tyson, who was so powerful in THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MISS JANE PITTMAN. Accept no substitutes!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't think that's quite right Brad. Golden Girl opened in New York City in mid June 1979 and flopped immediately, barely lasting two weeks at the prestigious first run theaters showing it. After playing off for a few weeks in lesser venues as a moveover, it disappeared from screens completely within about a month of its release. We didn't decide to boycott the Olympics until the Soviets missed the February 1980 deadline to leave Afghanistan and the final decision wasn't made until spring of 1980. I don't see how it could have affected THIS movie as it had already had its "dance" the previous summer.
Well I stand corrected. The film did come out in 1979 but I didn't see it till mid-1980 at the Lyceum Outdoor Theatre, U.S. Naval Base, Guantanamo. Kinda ran the events together in my memory.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
1. Scenes from a Marriage
2. The Adversary (Pratidwandi)
3. The Middleman (Jana Aranya)
4. Tale of Tales
5. Cocorico Monsieur Poulet
6. Spirit of the Beehive
7. Dodes-ka-den
8. The Spider's Strategem
9. Company Limited (Seemabaddha)
10. Pure Heart (Pakeezah)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Summer of 42 (1971) off the list. Nov 7th 2017 from Warner Archive.
It's about time.
That's one more from the 16 Robert Surtees nominations.
This is also the film that introduced me to Michel Legrand; a score, mind you, that won him his second of three Oscars.
It would behoove WAC to release the BD of "Now, Voyager" on the very same day.
I trust that Summer of '42 fans will get the reference and understand the request.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Want to add what i watched a few nights ago on dvd and that's Vittorio De Sica's The Garden of the Finzi Contini (1970). A good film and the region 1 Sony dvd out of print but there is a nice transfer released by Arrow Films in the UK.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Scorpion Releasing has Aloha, Bobby & Rose. I believe the blu-ray is coming by the end of the year.
Well here it is, the end of 2017 and I don't see any new word on this one. But I still have hope as the non-anamorphic DVD release is butt-ugly.
I did just read the posting on blu-ray.com and at that time (March 7th or so), Scorpion seemed to have announced a release. Time to start checking.

I just watched my new Indicator copy of
Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978) and I'll have to conjure up a AFWA review here shortly. Would love a take from RAH on this one as well. Pretty good release so far.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just watched my new Indicator copy of Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978) and I'll have to conjure up a AFWA review here shortly. Would love a take from RAH on this one as well. Pretty good release so far.

Agreed on LAURA MARS, very well done!!

February 20 brings one of my top three 70's "holy grails" to blu-ray:

915HC9xzrFL._SL1500_.jpg

It's currently $15.36 for both movies!

That just leaves LAST OF SHEILA and THE LATE SHOW!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
May more of Mitchum be seen,
within the year
of two thousand and eighteen.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And another one off the original list.

Thank God Its Friday (1978) is dancing its way to Blu come May 1st, 2018.

TGIF78_Poster2.jpg Thank-God-It's-Friday-245_MillieSmall.png

=======================================================================================

The Original List (grayed-out entries have been released or to be released onto Blu-ray.

Aloha Bobby & Rose (1975): From Wikipedia: " In 1970s Hollywood, small-time auto mechanic Bobby (Paul Le Mat) and fast food waitress Rose (Diane Hull) meet, and fall in love.
UPDATE (24 Feb 2018): Blu-ray release announced for 17 April 2018 by Scorpion Releasing

Arnold (1974): From IMDB, "Upon his death, Arnold marries his lover, Karen, in spite of his widow, and leaves deathtraps accompanied by audiotapes and his preserved and articulate corpse for those who cared only for his money."emale cast, big breasts with dizzying cleavage.

Ben (1972): The sequel to the horror picture Willard. Saw this one at age 12. (UPDATE: Blu now available).

Bermuda Triangle (1978): From IMDB; "The passengers and crew of a boat on a summer cruise in the Caribbean stray near the famed Bermuda Triangle, and mysterious things start happening."

Big Bad Mama (1974): From IMDB; "After the death of her lover, Wilma takes over his bootlegging business, but without much success. She soon meets up with bank robber Fred, who convinces her and her daughters to join him for his next big heist. (UPDATE: Blu now available on Amazon).

Black Hole, The (1979): Disney's big 1979 sci-fi effort trying to cash in on the sci-fi craze spearheaded by Star Wars. Definitely Disney's "darkest" film to that date
Link to my HTF Write-Up on The Black Hole.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979): Of course the movie that spawned a two-season TV series and a sentimental favorite among many sci-fi fans. Personally I'd like to see a complete remaster like was done with Star Trek TOS but make sure that the original versions come with a remaster. (UPDATE: Region B Blu-ray announced for all except theatrical cut, now available for pre-order from various overseas vendors.)

California Dreaming (1977): From Wiki; "A young man named T.T. moves from Chicago to California for the summer. He quickly becomes adapted to the new pace of life, learning several lessons along the way."

Chiorboys, The (1977): One of the first "Police Comedys" but a much darker film than the later films such as Dragnet (1984). Also a early exploration into the gay lifestyle.

Escape from Alcatraz (1979): Clint Eastwood in a new role for him. You could say that 1979 was Clint's year for trying new roles (i.e. Every Which Way But Loose). UPDATE, Region A Blu available on Amazon.

Eyes of Laura Mars (1977): From IMDB; "Suddenly Laura Mars can see through the eyes of a serial killer as he commits his crimes. She contacts the police and with the aid of a police detective, tries to stop the killer. But first, they have to figure out who it is. UPDATE: Powerhouse Films overseas released EOLM on region-free Blu on Nov 20th, 2017.

Golden Girl (1979): Susan Anton looking beautiful as a female athlete. What killed this film was the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Goodbye Girl (1978): From IMDB; " After being dumped by her live-in boyfriend, an unemployed dancer and her 10-year-old daughter are reluctantly forced to live with a struggling off-Broadway actor." UPDATE: Blu now available.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978): A early effort here from Back To The Future film geinuses Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale.
From Wikipedia: " Four girls from Maplewood, New Jersey set off to New York City to see the Beatles' guest appearance on the Ed Sullivan television show. UPDATE: Region B Blu now available from Amazon UK

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless. UPDATE: Blu now available from Shout (I think)

Lady In Red (1979): A early post-Nancy Drew effort here (created by Roger Corman) from the lovely, and still lovely to this day Pamela Sue Martin. Robert Conrad also makes an appearance as Dillinger.

Malibu Beach (1979): A sentimental favorite of mine here despite it having basically no plot, no depth of character and basically no real redeeming social value, save for maybe muscle-head Dugan (Steve Oliver) finding love at the very end.

Ode to Billie Joe (1976): This was a tear jerker for high school girls back in 1976. Going with my girlfriend to see it that summer, she made sure to cover my eyes when there might be some female nudity (I don't believe there was but it was close).

One & Only (1977): Taking a brief break from his greaser tough-guy roles (Happy Days, Lords of Flatbush), Henry Winkler plays a aspiring actor fresh out of college looking for his big break thru 1950s era studio wrestling. UPDATE: Blu now available (Olive release) on Amazon.

Pretty Baby (1978) (Thanks Walter Kittel): Brooke Shields rookie role and quite a controversial one due mostly to (non-sexual) nudity on her part. That and the portrayal of her character's virginity being auctioned off.

Skatetown USA (1979) : Oh yes, here is my big favorite for a Blu-ray release, though none seems to be coming as of yet. Nor was there ever any home media release ever (no VHS, LD or DVD). Here's a link to my Skatetown USA Write-Up here on HTF

Star Wars (Original Theatrical Cut, 1977): There seems to be a lot of demand in the classic film fandom for the original Star Wars. I'm rather partial to the updated versions myself but would love to have the original on blu as well for comparison purposes.

Thank God Its Friday (1978): OK so Saturday Night Fever was the defining disco-themed film from the late 1970s era but in my opinion Thank God Its Friday gave us a better picture of the fun side of disco. Write up on Thank God Its Friday on HTF
UPDATE (26 Feb 2018), Blu-ray release announced from Mill Creek. Release date, 1 May 2018.

====================================================================================================

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Resurrecting this old thread to mention one film I had seen in the past, Hurricane (1979).
Although it is rated low at imdb, I remember I was really impressed by the special effects. (more so, than today's CGI).
I hope someone releases it on blu-ray.

anyway, since some films have been released from my initial list, it becomes now as this:
The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (1971) - the TV pilot of the Waltons
The Island at the top of the World (1974)
Star Wars (original theatrical) (1977)

(new entries):
Hurricane (1979)
Jane Eyre (1970)
The Gathering (1976)
The Gathering (Part II) (1979)
The Sacketts (1979)
The Lords of Flatbush (1974)
(there is a blu-ray of this but it looks like a DVD upscale)
Sleuth (1972)

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
1. Scenes from a Marriage
2. The Adversary (Pratidwandi)
3. The Middleman (Jana Aranya)
4. Tale of Tales
5. Cocorico Monsieur Poulet
6. Spirit of the Beehive
7. Dodes-ka-den
8. The Spider's Strategem
9. Company Limited (Seemabaddha)
10. Pure Heart (Pakeezah)
More than 5 years later, still waiting on all of these except #1. I'll replace it with Un homme qui dort.

It does look like Tale of Tales was released on a Japanese disc of Norstein's work, which I would consider getting if it had English subtitles.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Molly and Lawless John(1972) Vera Miles, Sam Elliott
Lady Caroline Lamb(1972) Sarah Miles, Richard Chamberlain, Jon Finch
Heat(1972) Sylvia Miles, Joe Dallesandro
The Wrath of God(1972) Robert Mitchum, Frank Langella, Rita Hayworth
Ash Wednesday(1973) Elizabeth Taylor, Henry Fonda, Helmut Berger
Posse(1975) Kirk Douglas, Bruce Dern
Roseland(1977) Geraldine Chaplin, Christopher Walken
Outrageous(1977) Craig Russell, Hollis McLaren
Joseph Andrews(1977) Peter Firth, Ann-Margret, Beryl Reid
A Dream of Passion(1978) Melina Mercouri, Ellen Burstyn

Up until recently I would have included "Starting Over"(1979) with Burt Reynolds, Jill Clayburgh and Candice Bergen. But Kino has announced it as part of their upcoming Blu-ray schedule.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I like looking back that these threads, a ton of titles have been released. Anyway, pretending I haven't posted here before, here's 9 that I'd actually buy:

1970 - Catch-22
1970 - Start The Revolution Without Me
1971 - The Music Lovers
1972 - The Ruling Class
1972 - The Honkers
1973 - O Lucky Man!
1973 - Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
1977 - Stand Up, Virgin Soldiers
1978 - Warlords Of Atlantis

I only have two movies that I really want on Blu-Ray from the seventies.

Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid" and Peter Bogdanovich's "Paper Moon"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks