What's new

Tosh posts 4.0 Software for HD-DVD Players.... (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
HD-DVD may be dead, but Tosh seems to be still supporting their players.

Looks like 4.0 is available for pretty much all of their players. No details about the fixes. Also note that I have NFI if the updates exist over the web; I am talking only about what exists for download from Tosh's web site.

And there may be an issue with the files for the A35. I, and at least one other poster at AVS can not extract the ISO from the zip file.

My A2 4.0 files extracts fine, but not the A35.

But I would still say kudos to Tosh for continuing to support their customers.

Toshiba | Customer Support

Brian

Justin Lott

Agent
Real Name
Justin Lott
Does it update them to do anything in particular?

Edit:

"As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for Addresses certain disc playback related issues identified by Toshiba , Play state specification is changed (Advanced playback function) When "pause state" continues 3 hours."

Way to go Toshiba!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Yes, Tosh has added BR compatibility to their HD decks.........

Obviously just kidding. ;-)

A user in one of the AVS threads said that an issue with jaggies (I think over HDMI) is now gone.

But at present, the A35 4.0 file that is on the Tosh support site is still hosed. I have not yet applied the A2 4.0 update, as that player is not currently installed in my rig.

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

From the link provided, select HD Players from the list in the center of the screen, then keep drilling down through the Year/Player/Firmware.

Note that this site is Flash enabled. It works on my Mac, and on one PC I have, but I also have a work PC that does not allow Flash, and on that machine, the product list does not appear, and it is replaced with a message saying I need Flash to view it.

Brian

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Has anyone been able to get the HD-A1 4.0 update to image correctly? I have used Nero and Record Now, but both give a burn error. I used Record Now earlier this evening to image a disc for my Sony BDP-S300 and it worked fine...

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Had you unpack the file or burn it "as is"? If you didn't unpack it and then see an ISO file, then it won't work.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yep, I unzipped it as soon as I downloaded it. For some reason Nero and Record Now didn't like it and couldn't image it but I downloaded ImgBurn and imaged it fine. The upgrade went off without a hitch and only took about 30 minutes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Installed this update on my A30 last night and watched The Thing. It froze up twice, but when I chapter skipped back and hit play, it played through just fine both times. Anyone else run into any problems?

DaveM4964

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Davey Meredith
My hd-a2 player stretches every 4:3 dvd i play to fit my widescreen tv. I've tried adjusting the resolution and tv shape settings but it still does the same.
Is there anything i can do to correct this?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What TV do you have? It seems odd that you cannot switch the viewing mode while something is playing, even over HDMI.

DaveM4964

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Davey Meredith
It's a Magnavox 51 inch set. I've had it a little more than 3 years. It has no HDMI input so i'm using component.
I talked to someone at Toshiba last night. Basically i was told that 4:3 dvds are not compatible with hd-dvd players and nothing can be done about the stretching problem.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I did have this problem when using component cables with my old Sony crt based set that didn't have HDMI. With my current HDMI equipped Sony SXRD the player pillarboxes if set to 16/9 tv shape. Most Sony upscaling dvd players and the PS3 will pillarbox if you set the "upscale" in the player setup menu to "normal"

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dave, I'm not laughing at you but that last sentence is hilarious. In my experience and based on my understanding, this rep is just wrong. My HD-D1 (the Costco/WalMart model equivalent of the HD-A1) stretched 4:3 content to 16x9 also. It is a design flaw of the player. Many first gen machines did it, and obviously from your experience some second gen also. My XA2 does NOT. The problem is not HD DVD-specific as my first gen Panasonic DMP-BD10 does it, too.

I think the reason your format button doesn't work when you're playing the A2 is because your Magnavox, not unlike my early Tosh HDTV, locks you out of aspect ratio control whenever it is displaying anything of greater resolution than 480p.

If indeed you've lowered the A2's output resolution to 480 and you still don't have access to the TV's aspect ratio control, then it would seem that the content being flagged 4:3 even trumps the resolution issue and indeed there's nothing you can do. But it's not because there's something fundamentally incompatible about 4:3 DVDs and HD DVD players. I think this problem was fixed with third gen HD DVD machines.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
When I did the 3.0 "upgrade" on my HD-A2, it killed the menus on my HD-DVD of THE SEARCERS, making all the extras unaccessible, and I've heard from others that it did the same to them. I was hoping that the 4.0 "upgrade" would fix this...

It did not. I think I'm going to look into "downgrading" to a pre-3.0 firmware at this point so I can watch the friggin' extras on THE SEARCHERS.

Vincent

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Before upgrading to a new plasma, my HD-A1 was connected to a Toshiba TW40x81 via component. If I recall correctly, any copyrighted material I threw at it from the HD-A1 was sent out as 480i and I could adjust the screen format on the tv to 16:9 full, zoomed letterbox or 4:3. Non-copyrighted material, however, was output at 1080i and the tv would lock the aspect ratio to either 16:9 full for anamorphic content or 4:3 pillarbox for non-anamorphic.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I watch 4:3 DVDs with some regularity on my XA2, and I have never had a problem, so as you say it is not something which is inherently flawed about HD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks