What's new

Tragically Hip - Up to Here (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This is a dusty old CD, that's for sure, dated 1989. And what a great disc it is.

I bought this back in the day based on air play for "New Orleans is Sinking". There is not a bad track on here. Great hooks, great guitars, and excellent production values.

I was going through my cee-dees looking for stuff that I had avoided ripping to my iPod for whatever reason, and this one jumped out at me. I had not played it in years, but it has aged well. I think this baby is going back into heavy rotation.

But the real tragedy (pardon the pun) was that this is the only thing I have by these guys. Hadn't heard anything by them before this disc, or anything after. Seems like I might have seen then in concert as an opening band (can't recall with who), and I don't recall them playing a single track from this disc.

So, would anyone into the band care to point my towards there subsequent stuff, and how it compares to this one?

BGL

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Fully Completely is one of the 3 discs I would have on a deserted island.

Hands down the Hip's best work.

Wonderfully recorded/mixed/mastered and probably their zenith release...

Some of the best riffs I have ever heard by Bobby Baker.

KrisM

Second Unit
You will love Fully Completely and Road Apples. Day For Night is great too, but I find it a little different than the albums before it. It is a little darker. I love it, but it took me awhile to get into it.
For me, after Day For Night, the albums are still good, but they don't measure up to the early albums. They are all worth owning, though. Then again I'm a little biased, since I've bought every disc since Road Apples on release day.
The one disc to avoid, or buy last is the self-titled disc before Up To Here. Not very strong in my opinion.
The singer, Gord Downie has a couple of solo discs as well. I'd say listen before you buy with these.

Regards
KrisM

ChrisV

Second Unit
If you like "Up to Here", then "Road Apples" and "Fully Completely" are definitely the next two to check out. My personal favourite (one of my favourite albums, period) is "Day for Night".

Their newest CD "In Between Evolution" is pretty damn good, too.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I gettin' the impression that all of us making the votes are Canucks and that The Hip didn't get a lot of airplay in the Good Ol' U.S. of A.

Unfortunate if that's the case.

Miles

Second Unit
I saw The Hip a couple of weeks ago, here in Halifax. "Up to Here" is probably the best of their work. But each Hip album has its merits. I tend to prefer:

Up to Here
Trouble at the Henhouse
Day for Night
In Violet Light

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll be dipped!

As I type this, XM Radio's "Ethel" channel is playing "Cordelia" by the Hip.

Never heard it before, not sure what cee-dee its from, but its a great track, and definetly the same dude on vocals from Up to Here. As a matter of fact, its sounds like it would fit fine on Up to Here.

Time for a search!

BTW, can you hosers up north get XM????:D

BGL

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Road Apples is from 1991 and was there 'breaking out' CD.

Some damn fine tunes on that disc.

Good day, eh?

Locked In The Trunk Of A Car from Fully Completely grabs you by the 'boys' and just won't let go. It grinds rythm. Give 'er a listen.

Is it illegal for me to email you a copy ?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the offer, but I feel I should do my part to support the band, so...Road Apples and Fully Completely will be ordered tomorrow.

Damn the HTF....always making me spend $$$!

Cheers boys!

BGL

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I just saw The Hip for the 5th time at the 9:30 club. Gordy is gettin stranger by the minute but they still put on one of the best shows. Day for Night is my favorite, but I still make an effort to listen to some of their new stuff. Ain't bad.

On another note, Sam Robertson is opening for The Hip this tour, they are a very good band. I highly suggest anyone looking them up as well.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I used to see a quirky little sitcom show on PBS a couple of years ago,that was out of Canada and I want to say they played a song by Tragically Hip during the credits.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I appreciate the offer, but I feel I should do my part to support the band,

Good for you, I'll tell Gord when I see him...:)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, twe CD's on the way (Road Apples and Fully Completely).

I appear to have been mistaken when I referred to Road Apples as their latest. It appears that their catalog has been re-released in the last few months...those were the dates I saw.

Muy bad.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK Hosers! The holidays are over....lets wake up the thread!

Fully Completely arrived today, and while I am only 1/2 through my first listen, let me say that even if the rest of the tracks suck out loud, it was still worth the purchase. How I let this band drop off of my radar for over 10 years, I will never know.

Even ripped to iTunes (at 320K AAC) through crap PC speakers, it sounds good. Can't wait to hear it on the he-man rig.

Anyway, a great disc thus far, and thanks to all for the suggestion. Now I need to wait for Road Apples to arrive.

BGL

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Another 'Fully' satisfied customer... :)

I am really surprised that so many in the US aren't 'Hip'.

Did any of their material get air play south of the border ?

'Road Apples' isn't as polished as 'Fully Completely', but it really shows how the boys evolved from the bar scene. Great bar tunes.

I'd be interested in Rachael B's comments on the Hip.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The only Hip I ever heard on the radio (I was working in Hartford, CT at the time), was "New Orleans is Sinking", and that was back when Up to Here was released.

That track lead me to buy the cee-dee, but since then, they have been Fully and Completely off my radar! But that problem is now fixed.

With any luck, Road Apples will be in today's mail.

BGL

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
It was my understanding that back when Road Apples was released in 1991 that the Hip had quite a little following in the states and they were big into the L.A. scene, probably stealing burnt out glam rock fans.

My favorite is Up To Here as well followed by Fully Completely. Their later stuff started to sound a little bland for my tastes although it has been many years since I popped a later CD into the player. With my musical tastes changing from almost 10 years ago, I should give them another whirl.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FYI, I just noticed a listing for a Tragically Hip concert on HDNet (primarily for DirecTV customers). Looks like it will be on several times over the next couple weeks. The description says its a 2000 concert.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this show. Given that it is on HDNet, it will be in High Def, and have Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks