What's new

Travelers (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
With season two being released yesterday, I thought I'd search the forum for a thread on this show and I'm surprised I couldn't find one.

It took me two days to watch the first season last year, and the past two days to watch season two.

I really like the premise so far and the acting has been really good for the most part. Definitely looking forward to season 3.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely syndication-quality science fiction television, but with smarter writing and marginally better production values.

I adored the first season when I discovered it on Netflix, and three episodes into the second season the show continues to hold my attention.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I have been meaning to get around to this, but just haven't found the time. 2018 will change that.
When I first watched this. I just took a chance while browsing through the choices. Never heard anything about it beforehand except for Netflix telling me it was a new arrival.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m going to check this out, though I admit the trailer didn’t grab me. Looked an typical actions series with gun fights.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched first 2 episodes of S1. Well done, kept me interested. However, the 2nd episode makes me think this is going to be a problem of the week show. I hope it’s more than that. The guy who edited the trailer ought to be fired. It does a disservice to the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just watched first 2 episodes of S1. Well done, kept me interested. However, the 2nd episode makes me think this is going to be a problem of the week show. I hope it’s more than that. The guy who edited the trailer ought to be fired. It does a disservice to the show.
The ongoing mythology plays a larger and larger role as the first season goes on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just finished Episode 10 of the second season, and if it weren't so late I would have probably binged right through to the end. I continue to be impressed with how smart the science fiction is on this show; they established a handful of simple rules, and they've stuck with them while playing out a lot of different scenarios that would result from this premise.

We know, for instance, that the first traveler was sent back to September 11, 2001, because it was the earliest major mass casualty event that the Director had accurate enough data for to pinpoint a host's location within the permissible proximity almost immediately before their historically documented death. We know that no new travelers can be sent back to a time earlier than the most recent previous traveler that was sent back, so there are no do-overs. But within that, there's quite a bit of leeway. The skydiver episode, where the Director needed nine separate iterations, was a particularly thrilling exploration of how close you can cut it without breaking that rule.

My one issue so far is that:
I wish they had left the original Marcy just an developmentally disabled ward of the state, instead of tying her into the larger conspiracy with Traveler 001. Not because it doesn't fit -- if anything, the fact that Marcy had no paper trail prior to David finding her on the street explains why the Director got it so wrong when Traveler 3569 was assigned to her -- but because it makes the world too small and feels just a little bit too much like a coincidence.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Oh yeah, brutal is a good description. That's the difficult part of binge watching, the long wait until next year.

I started to rewatch season one and I really like the consistency in quality.

After two seasons of watching, David and Grace are my absolute favorites. David's character is very genuine. Grace is just fun.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The ongoing mythology plays a larger and larger role as the first season goes on.
But does it still stick to the "case of the week" formula? That is a big thing for me and why after 3 episodes I'm thinking about bailing. Most shows, even the procedural stuff, have an underlying story arc or mythology, but when there is an open and shut "case of the week" I generally lose interest pretty quickly.

Also, Eric McCormack is kind of annoying.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But does it still stick to the "case of the week" formula? That is a big thing for me and why after 3 episodes I'm thinking about bailing. Most shows, even the procedural stuff, have an underlying story arc or mythology, but when there is an open and shut "case of the week" I generally lose interest pretty quickly.
There are still episodic plots that get resolved by the end of the hour, but they're less and less standalone as time goes on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Showcase opted not to continue with the series, but Netflix has renewed it for a third season and secured streaming rights for every market it operates (including Canada). The upside is that US viewers won't have to wait for the Canadian broadcast window to lapse before the new season makes it to us.
Netflix Press Release said:
15 March 2018

SEASON THREE OF TRAVELERS
TO DEBUT ONLY ON NETFLIX

Eric McCormack, who is set to direct the season three debut, confirmed the news today:

“Before I was Will Truman again, I was a Traveler. And I am so excited to be able to tell our fans, worldwide, that Brad Wright’s subtle and stunning sci-fi drama is back for a third season. I am so proud of this show, particularly that it’s all-Canadian. From our devoted Vancouver crew, to an uber-talented young cast who hail from Alberta, BC, Manitoba and Ontario, to my producing partners and our Toronto roots, Travelers is a series as Canadian in its creation, as it is global in scope. I am counting the days ‘til I return, not just as Special Agent Grant MacLaren, and as a producer, but as the director of the 3rd season premiere. Travelers will continue to be unwavering in its dedication to Canadian talent, and in its drive to be one of the strongest, most binged shows on Netflix.”

Travelers executive producers, Brad Wright and Carrie Mudd of Peacock Alley Entertainment, added:

“Our partner Eric said it best. We'd like to add our gratitude to our viewers in Canada on Showcase - as well as the Corus and Sky Vision teams - for two extraordinary seasons. We are excited to start shooting Season 3 this March in Vancouver, and to continue the Travelers story for fans in Canada and around the world, only on Netflix.”
Very glad that we're going to get resolution to that brutal cliffhanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks