What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TV ON BLU BEFORE I DIE - PRETTY PLEASE (1 Viewer)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
A few of my most-wanted Blus are the mini-series, CHIEFS, RICH MAN, POOR MAN, and the made-for-television film 'WOMEN IN CHAINS', and all 14 seasons of KNOTS LANDING.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
THE INVADERS (1967-68). While the DVDs are watchable, a Blu-ray upgrade of both seasons would look spectacular. (Paramount Syndication Bible -- not updated online since 2019 -- says THE INVADERS hasn't even been transferred to HD. I'm still hopeful, though.)

Ditto ONE STEP BEYOND (1959-61), a show that desperately cries out for a full HD restoration. (We did get Season 1 on DVD. Where are Seasons 2 and 3?)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
THE INVADERS (1967-68). While the DVDs are watchable, a Blu-ray upgrade of both seasons would look spectacular. (Paramount Syndication Bible -- not updated online since 2019 -- says THE INVADERS hasn't even been transferred to HD. I'm still hopeful, though.)

Ditto ONE STEP BEYOND (1959-61), a show that desperately cries out for a full HD restoration. (We did get Season 1 on DVD. Where are Seasons 2 and 3?)
I've got my own thread just for The invaders....

and always enjoyed the One Step Beyond series as well - sad that who ever owns the rights to this series are not bebfitinf as much as the bootleggers that offer these sad 3 &5th Gen dups...to the disgust of collectors!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
While there are some series being listed here that likely have a small chance to see a blu-ray release, many either never saw a DVD release, were stalled or didn't pull in the necessary revenue from DVD or are still behind many other series from a sales/popularity standpoint that are still waiting for a possibly blu-ray release. Unfortunately, the best some of these may get are an HD transfer for ongoing syndication/streaming. The risk of physical media making a profit is likely too high for most of these, especially given the real money over time is syndication and streaming. Some studios may even question if physical media takes away from streaming revenue.

I've always been as hardcore about physical media over streaming as many here. However, this past year I've had to change my tune. There are just too many series I have on DVD that are streaming in HD (w/o a blu-ray release in sight) to ignore. My current rotation of shows includes Perry Mason, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Virginian, Wagon Train, Ozzie & Harriet, Make Room for Daddy, MASH, I Love Lucy, and Hawaii Five-O all in HD, or at least when it comes to Wagon Train, some seasons in HD with the SD seasons still better than the DVDs.

I can understand the reluctance and holding firm for physical media releases of the highest quality, but this is all out of our control, sometimes it is best to roll with the times and just enjoy the quality where you can get it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
While there are some series being listed here that likely have a small chance to see a blu-ray release, many either never saw a DVD release, were stalled or didn't pull in the necessary revenue from DVD or are still behind many other series from a sales/popularity standpoint that are still waiting for a possibly blu-ray release. Unfortunately, the best some of these may get are an HD transfer for ongoing syndication/streaming. The risk of physical media making a profit is likely too high for most of these, especially given the real money over time is syndication and streaming. Some studios may even question if physical media takes away from streaming revenue.

I've always been as hardcore about physical media over streaming as many here. However, this past year I've had to change my tune. There are just too many series I have on DVD that are streaming in HD (w/o a blu-ray release in sight) to ignore. My current rotation of shows includes Perry Mason, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Virginian, Wagon Train, Ozzie & Harriet, Make Room for Daddy, MASH, I Love Lucy, and Hawaii Five-O all in HD, or at least when it comes to Wagon Train, some seasons in HD with the SD seasons still better than the DVDs.

I can understand the reluctance and holding firm for physical media releases of the highest quality, but this is all out of our control, sometimes it is best to roll with the times and just enjoy the quality where you can get it.
I hear you and in some repects, agree with you. Many studios could build a more pofitable return by investing in restored HD streaming funnels (outsourced to syndication/streaming) rather than exclusive dedicated physical formats.
And the fact that there has always been a finite amount of space that could be allocated at any one time on the shelves of most of our collections. So this is one solution to the space race, LOL!!
That said, coming to TV Series like Gunsmoke for example, with 20 seasons to it, the box set just takes up too much shelf space, and a perfect candadate for the streaming option. As long as the PQ/AQ are HD, I think the audience would be less likely to start to pickup torches and pitchforks!!

This might allow other titles, that are languishing in studios vaults, to get some love and restoration...bringing a better product to those that love the series and the memories that they trigger in collectors minds. I know these movies and TV series are very much like a time machine, connecting me to my past.

Hey in a perfect world, I'd love to see every title and series out there in the cleanest most prestine versions available...wether it's BD/DVD/4K or HD streaming or syndication. Bottom line....just get it out there for the fans to enjoy, that doesn't look like just another bootlegged trash fire!!!

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I have the Gunsmoke boxed complete series its stored vertically on a bookshelf to save space. Seasons 7-20 plus the tv movies are available on here.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That said, coming to TV Series like Gunsmoke for example, with 20 seasons to it, the box set just takes up too much shelf space, and a perfect candidate for the streaming option.
It may take up too much shelf space, but anyone who bought it helped make more home video releases possible. At some point, I'd love to pick this up just for the sheer importance of it

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It may take up too much shelf space, but anyone who bought it helped make more home video releases possible. At some point, I'd love to pick this up just for the sheer importance of it
If you want to talk shelf space, I have all the individual season volume releases. I bought them as they were initially released. However, I'm only through about half the 30-minute episodes. I have a feeling I will be finishing this series primarily through HD streaming when available through Amazon Prime's Paramount+ channel.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think the Munsters is a little better but Adams Family sure had a fun theme song

I feel the opposite. The Munsters was amusing; The Addams Family is my second-favorite sitcom of all time (behind only The Dick Van Dyke Show). Just for John Astin's Gomez. Everything else in the show was icing on the cake.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I'm surprised that at least the top-tier Quinn Martin series aren't in HD for streaming on Paramount+

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Three Stooges 190 shorts .
Starsky & Hutch
Kojak
Baretta
Dukes of Hazzard
TJ Hooker
Highlander tv series
One step Beyond
I dream of Jeanie (done right)
Odd Couple
Happy Days
Get Smart
BJ & The Bear
Gilligans Island (It does stream in HD)
Welcome back Kottar (stream in HD)
Three's Company (Restored and remastered on DVD or for a compact set on SD-blu)
Married with Children (Restored and remastered on a SD-BD)
yes , Dear
Still Standing
Dynasty
Dallas

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I agree with this.

I sympathize with many of you who are upset that your favorite shows aren't getting the release respect they deserve, but this has been a trend over the past decade or more.

It seems as if TV shows were the first commodity when studios began downsizing what got released on DVD and Blu-ray. I heard way back when from one of the studios that shows were just not selling as well as they had hoped. This caused initial releases to cease without finishing out the series in many cases.

As always is the case, we are grappling with a new generation of viewers who prefer to stream and are mostly unfamiliar with the shows we used to watch growing up. Fortunately, these shows can be seen on dedicated channels such as MeTV and streaming services.

I don't hold out hope that we are going to see more classic TV show content being released. though I am sometimes encouraged by what is coming out of the smaller boutique labels.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I heard way back when from one of the studios that shows were just not selling as well as they had hoped. This caused initial releases to cease without finishing out the series in many cases.

True-- I think it's because of those of today who boost the sales of modern shows on DVD/Blu far beyond those of the shows that many of us enjoyed from the past that the modern shows have more releases than older shows.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If you want to talk shelf space, I have all the individual season volume releases. I bought them as they were initially released. However, I'm only through about half the 30-minute episodes. I have a feeling I will be finishing this series primarily through HD streaming when available through Amazon Prime's Paramount+ channel.
I have yet to see Gunsmoke available in full series on Paramount +. They have the series but they have season 5 or something listed as the first season for whatever reason. The Odd Couple is also incomplete.

Physical media for the win...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have yet to see Gunsmoke available in full series on Paramount +. They have the series but they have season 5 or something listed as the first season for whatever reason. The Odd Couple is also incomplete.

Physical media for the win...

That's weird. I understand it if it was simply a matter of only showing the hour-long episodes. But if that were the case, they'd be starting with Season 7 rather than Season 5.

Something similar happened with Cagney & Lacey when it went into syndication, and initially released on DVD. MGM decided to not syndicate the Pilot (with Loretta Swit as Cagney) or the 6-episode first season with Meg Foster as Cagney. So the third season, Sharon Gless's first, was redubbed "Season 1", and so on.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
P+ seems to do that with a number of their shows. You can't find complete runs of some of them. No idea why, but that's their choice at the moment. I'll always go for owning the physical disc for just this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmfsims
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale