What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal Classic Monsters, volume 2 ? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let's hope Universal will release a Classic Monsters Volume 2 next year that will include
1932 Murders in the Rue Morgue
1932 The Old Dark House
1934 The Black Cat
1935 The Raven
1935 The Werewolf of London
1936 Dracula's Daughter
1936 The Invisible Ray
1937 Night Key
1939 Son of Frankenstein
1939 Tower of London
1940 Black Friday
1943 Son of Dracula

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am hoping for a decent sci-fi box first, which would include
THIS ISLAND EARTH
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (3-D)
TARANTULA
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D)
THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US
DOCTOR CYCLOPS
and possibly a couple of other, somewhat lesser titles.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Next year will be interesting at least. It was quite simply for them to port over all that SE content included in the current box from prior releases. Will they spend the money to produce new content or simply issue movie only?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think that the Dracula and Frankensetin sequels may come out if the set sells really well and there's an outside chance for the other monsters. However, I think the titles without the Universal Monsters have no chance.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think that's a fair assessment. NIGHT KEY on Blu-ray is a hell-freezes-over moment, though not unwelcome.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I hope Universal will complete their classic 1930s horror films on Blu-ray first and foremost.

I want all the sequels and extras from all the Legacy sets. From there, we can do the Lugosi sets ..I really cant see much outside of Tower of London getting an HD release when it comes to the Karloff titles...but you never know:P

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sure, but I think all the Mummy and Invisible Man sequels, the 1940s House Of's and so on should go on a Volume 3. All the one-shot films and Inner Sanctums from the 1940s could easily fill a volume 4.
The 1930s films are highly regarded and much loved, monsters or not. Murders In the Rue Morgue and The Black Cat may not have monsters bu they are two of Universal's finest genre films, strong stuff even by today's standards, and extremely popular films as well. A 1930s set would contain all the choice films.
MurdersInTheRueMorgue.jpg

BlackCat1934-sheet.jpg

DraculasDaughter1936-card.jpg

StrangeConfession.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
So many really enjoyable old Universal horror movies, surly they're going to spend a bit of money & make proper HD versions, it would be very short term thinking not to. And they're part of America's 20th century cultural heritage (there's been stamps!), when you think of Universal Pictures, you think of the old horrors.
And don't forget those Mummy films, cheapo, but a lot of fun.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Richard--W said:
Let's hope Universal will release a Classic Monsters Volume 2 next year that will include
1932 The Old Dark House
1934 The Black Cat
1935 The Raven
1936 Dracula's Daughter
1936 The Invisible Ray
1937 Night Key
1939 Son of Frankenstein
1939 Tower of London
1940 Black Friday
1943 Son of Dracula
Richard--W said:
Sure, but I think all the Mummy and Invisible Man sequels, the 1940s House Of's and so on should go on a Volume 3. All the one-shot films and Inner Sanctums from the 1940s could easily fill a volume 4.
The 1930s films are highly regarded and much loved, monsters or not. ]
I'm in 100% agreement with all of your suggestions here. That volume 2 would be fantastic!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I think The Old Dark House deserves to be in the Criterion Collection more than just given a token release in a box set (not to mention the materials for it are not in the best shape).

EDIT: Added to that, it appears Universal's rights to it have lapsed as both the vhs and dvd came from Kino.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think I'd mix up the Richard--W list with the John Morgan list on the other Universal thread, & let the well known titles carry the less known ones. But Universal don't have to go with a another box, they could do a series of two-disc releases. Ha, saying all this, we might get nothing, but I'm staying positive.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love a 30's set, but after a set that has all the sequels to Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Invisible Man, and Creature. As said before, let's finish off the series for us OCD collector types, then put out the wicked 30's set.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You kids are all so cute making up your Xmas lists for Santa. I hope you don't get lumps of coal in your stockings. :)

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Dvdbeaver has beautiful screengrabs from the French Blu-ray of 1932 Murders in the Rue Morgue.
I know there is music added to this version, but the frames from his site have me interested in purchasing.

Anyone have this ?
Comments if you do

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The grabs look great, but the review does mention marks & sparkle on the picture (you can see them on the caps), all the films Universal have released have been cleaned up & look pristine, I'd wait 'till next year & see what Universal releases. It's heartening to see that a lot of titles listed in this thread have since been released, & looking so good.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

1932 The Old Dark House

1934 The Black Cat

1935 The Raven

1936 Dracula's Daughter

1936 The Invisible Ray

1937 Night Key

1939 Son of Frankenstein

1939 Tower of London

1940 Black Friday

1943 Son of Dracula

I am hoping for a decent sci-fi box first, which would include

THIS ISLAND EARTH

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (3-D)

TARANTULA

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D)

THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US

DOCTOR CYCLOPS

and possibly a couple of other, somewhat lesser titles.

ok so we didn't get that second Monster Box set, but going through the Franchises, or Legacy's seems to be working out nicely because it address most of this. I hope that Universal did well enough in sales with It Came from Outer Space 3D, to continue with its Sci-Fi classics even if they are exclusives

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The grabs look great, but the review does mention marks & sparkle on the picture (you can see them on the caps), all the films Universal have release have been cleaned up & look pristine, I'd wait 'till next year & see what Universal releases. It's heartening to see that a lot of titles listed in this thread have since been released, & looking so good.

I like to think that you are right.
I have high hopes for all these films on Blu-ray with fully restored/cleaned-up/pristine work

I still hope that someone who has this French Blu-ray of Murders in the Rue Morgue will comment.

Prior to the USA 8 Universal Frankenstein films Blu-ray set released last year,
I purchased Elephant Films Blu-ray of Son of Frankenstein --
It was just as dirty and riddled with density fluctuations as the old DVD.
Other than HD,
the French Blu-ray was nothing even close to the excellent Blu-ray we received last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks