What's new

Upgrade question for Onkyo AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

firefox1

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hi Everyone,
So I got a new Onkyo receiver model NR676, which supports 7.2 channels.
I'm upgrading this from my older Onkyo SR600, which came with 1 subwoofer, 1 center, 2 front, 2 surround and 1
rear speaker (6.1) configuration.

Question is, can I configure the new NR676 with my old 6.1 speaker configuration? The back panel of the NR676
has a Right and Left channel (two speakers) for the "Surround Back or Height" speakers, which I have connected the one existing rear speaker into on the Right channel side.

Do I need to get another speaker to make this work or can I configure it similar to my old system?
If I do need additional speaker can you provide recommendations for that as well.

Thanks for your help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should be able to, but I suggest looking at the owner's manual to see how to configure that in the receiver's speaker setup menu. There might be a setting for a single rear surround speaker, which should also tell you which one to connect it to. I'll look up the manual when I'm done with work, or maybe someone else will get to it first.

firefox1

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hi John,
I looked over the basic setup manual that comes with the receiver, it wasn't very clear on if this was possible, it shows two speakers in all the different configurations for the "Surround Back or Height" connections.
I'll keep digging.
Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked up the manual, and it doesn't appear to have a configuration with a single, mono rear surround. There is a 6.1 configuration, but that one gets there by eliminating the center channel. You can configure it for 7.1 and only connect one rear surround speaker, but I don't actually know if that could cause a problem, with an active amp channel that has nothing connected to it.

Another option would be to get a pair of suitable speakers for a rear pair, or go 5.1. 6.1 configurations with a single rear seemed like it used to be a common option, and maybe it still is, maybe just not with less expensive receivers.

firefox1

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
So I got a few Polk T-15 surround speakers and added them for a 7.1 configuration, trying to find the optimal sound equalization. The Onkyo does an automatic calibration but I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying to set this manually? Anyone have comments or experience they could share?
Thanks!

ionion

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks