What's new

Very weird glitch (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I picked up the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes in the cheap DVD bin a few weeks ago and watched it last night. Had the strangest thing happen. It has an "enhanced viewing mode" that flashes a symbol on the screen where you can break from the film to watch a short clip explaining an effects shot or something like that. The film started out with that option as "on" (without my selecting it) and no matter how often I tried to turn it "off", it refused to do so. The disc was new out of the case and had no obvious scratches or smudges (and I'm careful with my discs, in any event).

Anyone ever have something strange like this happen with a DVD?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I've heard of similar things happening with DVDs before. Perhaps this disc has some compatibility problems with your player. Try it out on some different models to determine if the DVD is at fault.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Side question; how is it done?

I would imagine that it is a subtitle track that indicates to the viewer that the chapter that they're in has special coding so that in the chapter in question, the "menu" key (or some other key) does "something else."

You might see if it has one of the subtitle tracks enabled - via the remote's subtitle button, rather than any of the on-disc menus.

Leo

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Tried it on another player (Marantz DV6400--my hi-res audio player; I don't usually watch movies with it) and the "glitch" did not occur. So it's an issue with my Cambridge Audio 540D (tried it again there and the glitch happened again). I hope it is not a sign of bad things to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks