What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Shining Hour (1938) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
438222799_857313133101035_4368043073034265394_n.jpg

Coming to Blu-ray on June 25th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best preservation elements.

THE SHINING HOUR (1938)
BD-50
76 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Frank Borzage

SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio only vintage M-G-M radio program GOOD NEWS OF 1939, with scenes from THE SHINING HOUR, Classic cartoons: LOVE AND CURSES and THE SNEEZING WEASEL, Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Joan Crawford, Margaret Sullavan, Robert Young
When Joan Crawford saw The Shining Hour on the Broadway stage, she pleaded with M-G-M executives to let her spread her acting wings in the film version. Ms. Crawford got her way, playing a New York siren who marries a prosperous farmer (Melvyn Douglas) and moves to Wisconsin. There she is drawn to his handsome brother (Robert Young) , even as she befriends the brother’s selfless wife (Margaret Sullavan, Crawford’s choice for the role). The passionate triangle plays out in the best tradition of classic screen melodrama, glossy and chic, but resonant with honest emotion, all under the expert direction of the great Frank Borzage. The film’s heart-stopping climax with Crawford battling flames to rescue Sullavan from certain death is both literally and figuratively, incendiary filmmaking.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Always great news to be getting more Crawford. I wonder why they’ve gone for a couple of Warner cartoons instead of some MGM ones? I wonder if it’s because the MGM library from that period hasn’t been upgraded to HD?

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I am so excited about this announcement! This was my first Warner Archives dvd purchase just as the label was launched, together with another Borzage/Crawford partnership, Mannequin. And to have it now restored in Bluray is just a dream come true.
Thank you, Warner Archives, for releasing more Crawford films from her MGM era. Hopefully, A Woman's Face and the already mentioned Mannequin will follow at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks