What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Great Day in the Morning (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING (1956)
Run Time 92:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 2:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Jacques Tourneur MGM shorts: The Ship That Died, Strange Glory, The Face Behind the Mask and The Magic Alphabet

The young town of Denver, CO, right before the outbreak of the Civil War, is the setting for this Western drama from acclaimed director Jacques Tourneur (Out of the Past, Stars in My Crown). Recently rescued from an Indian ambush, laconic Southern loner Owen Pentecost (Robert Stack) rides into town and into the hearts of saloon girl Boston (Ruth Roman) and frontier entrepreneur Ann Merry (a pants-wearing and liberated Virginia Mayo). With Boston’s aid, Owen wins the deed to the local saloon in a card game against its menacing cardcheat owner, the aptly named Jumbo Means (Raymond Burr). With secession causing tensions to rise between Denver’s Northerner majority and Southerner minority, Owen is pressured to support his Confederate brothers, but he remains firmly committed to his one true cause – gold! And there’s two million dollars’ worth of it that needs to be smuggled out before the start of the war!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Virgina Mayo is always a yes.
I have only two reservations about this fascinating film and one of them is that Virginia Mayo's role is underwritten.

I astonished and delighted by this announcement. I did not expect Great Day In The Morning ever to come out on Blu-ray disc. Robert Stack is superb. For some reason in the 1950s he had a gift for playing torn, inwardly tormented characters and he is ideal for this film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this Warner Archive disc last night. At long last I can see the film properly and the sound is far better than I've heard before. I have one reservation and I emphasize it's a reservation, not a criticism because, never having seen a good print I just don't know how this film is supposed to look. The skin tones seem too red. Other colors look good to me so I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

The film itself I've always liked a lot. Now I like it more than ever!

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
It's always good to see a Jacques Tourneur movie on DVD, even better on Blu-ray!

I've waited for a proper release of this film, in Superscope, for many years.

I got it today and sampled the opening.

So far it looks great :)

I've "always" enjoyed Virginia Mayo, it's a pity her screen time is cut short in this movie.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I watched this Warner Archive disc last night. At long last I can see the film properly and the sound is far better than I've heard before. I have one reservation and I emphasize it's a reservation, not a criticism because, never having seen a good print I just don't know how this film is supposed to look. The skin tones seem too red. Other colors look good to me so I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

The film itself I've always liked a lot. Now I like it more than ever!

I didn't think about the skin tones being too red as I watched it, and that is one thing which bothers me. I was very happy with the presentation. It was my first time seeing this film. Yeah, Virginia Mayo is quite a specimen.
00964219a37a51d299d01d4aefceafc0.jpg

moviefanatic1979

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Even
I watched the movie tonight and the cropping looked a bit tight in the upper portion of the image during close ups.

The color red was a on the hot side of the spectrum, but it wasn't bothersome.

It may be Tourneur's weakest western, but it's still a very good movie.

I find Robert Stack's acting stiff, but he was good for his range in this movie.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy with having this one on Blu-ray.

Tourneur's westerns are always interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.