What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (2 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Another Warners disc bites the dust. The Philadelphia Story locks up halfway through. Well, I guess it's about time I upgraded to the Criterion blu, anyway.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Another Warners disc bites the dust. The Philadelphia Story locks up halfway through. Well, I guess it's about time I upgraded to the Criterion blu, anyway.
Get the HD Digital version. iTunes has it for $9.99 ! That's what I have been doing for the last few years.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I hope everyone patronizes B&N rather than going through Amazon. Besides no shipping hassles B&M keeps a fine inventory of Criterion in stock and are the only brick and mortar retailer to still do so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope everyone patronizes B&N rather than going through Amazon. Besides no shipping hassles B&M keeps a fine inventory of Criterion in stock and are the only brick and mortar retailer to still do so.
Depending on where you live in regards to inventory at their store front locations.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Keeping Up Appearances - Hats Off To Hyacinth

Second layer has failed. Had to look for a while and ask online sellers to check their discs to find one that worked. Only 1 out of 8 did.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Alas, another Warners title bites the dust. Not a DVD but a blu ray. How The West Was Won sputters and freezes a couple of minutes before the intermission. :(

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Alas, another Warners title bites the dust. Not a DVD but a blu ray. How The West Was Won sputters and freezes a couple of minutes before the intermission. :(
That was the first Blu-ray disc I bought. I re-watched it a few months ago without problems. I hope it's still OK.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
I have experienced multiple DVD's - burnt (not MOD) Warner pre 2010 pressings - that suddenly stop and will play no further, usually 1/2 way into disc. All have been stores upright, without scratches or markings, previously viewed once. Same problem on all players (Pioneer top spec, Oppo, Laser, Samsung, Sony.) Sometimes will continue to play up to the same point where stopped - in some instances, will not play at all when reinserted. Any suggestions? Over a dozen to date - sometimes I repurchase when available. Titles ...so many ...Neptune's Daughter & Easy to Wed (E Williams); 30 Seconds Tokyo; Arsenic Old Lace; Words & Music; Royal Wedding/Belle NY; Broadway Melody 1936; VIP's......

MaCouture

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew Couture
Some Warner Bros. discs that I had that went defective:
The Flintstones: The Complete First Season (March 2004) - Part of the Hanna-Barbera Golden Collection, obtained in 2012 as a Christmas gift, Disc 1 froze up at the blue "WARNING" scroll at the end, side B of disc 4 kept skipping during the vintage commercials and had a circular scratch, the discs were housed in a digipack, I think discs 1-3 carried a IFPI KK** code, planning to get the 2018 Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection Complete Series set.
Happy Feet (Full Screen) (March 2007) - Obtained in 2008 or 2009, disc froze during the "Hit Me Up" music video (the movie played fine), the disc had a bunch of scratches including a circular one (I watched the disc a bunch of times), the disc was housed in a standard black keepcase, the manufacturing code was IFPI 2U**, cover art mentioned the movie's Academy Award win, upgraded to the Widescreen DVD and Double Feature Blu-ray set (both discs carry a IFPI KK** manufacturing code)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wonder what factors have made me “lucky” on this thread. I have many discs mentioned here, but so far none have been defective. About 1/3 of my early collection was bough in the Toronto area, 1/3 bought in the Buffalo area and the other 1/3 are burned copies from the library or TCM. — of course these last are perfect.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
just found, so far, a bad disc in Animaniacs volume 1. When the disc starts, the intro WB logo pixelates and stutters for a moment but then goes to the menu. The disc played fine up until the final episode.

On my blu ray player, the menu freezes. On the player in the living room, the intro logo plays fine, as do the episodes. Choosing the last episode on the living room player, the menu will freeze for a moment, and then the episode will play. Playing the disc on my PS4 Pro gives the same problems as on my blu ray player.
I'm really hoping that this is the only problem in the sets. From what I can find, the sets started coming out in 2006. But I've read that the problem is from discs made around 2008 to 2009....right ?

I'm also a bit worried that my Silverhawks volume 1 will have the problems, too. I haven't checked to see if the Silverhawks discs have the IFPI L906 number on them.
I see on amazon that the silverhawks volume 1 has a repackage from 2019. Does this mean a new pressing or the same possibly defective discs as before ?

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
THANKFULLY, my volume one of Tiny Toons says made in mexico, so that volume, as well as the other 3 of them, should be fine....I'm hoping.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
Season Two Volume One of Thundercats has IFPI L907 and L908 on the discs. Does this mean the discs for sure won't play ? That's the only volume in the four of them that has those numbers.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I've been checking out my WB DVD's and here's what I've found to be unplayable...(so far)

BROTHER ORCHID (from the GANGSTERS Vol. 3 set)
DESPERATE JOURNEY and UNCERTAIN GLORY (from the Errol Flynn Wartime set)
LUCKY ME and MY DREAM IS YOURS (from the Doris Day Vol. 2 set)
THE MALTESE FALCOLN (from the Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection Vol.2)
NANCY DREW (disc #2 bad)
PINKY & THE BRAIN Vol.1 (discs 1 & 3 were bad)
POPEYE Vol. 1 (disc 4)
TOM & JERRY SPOTLIGHT Vol. 3 (disc 2)
TORRID ZONE and THE WEST POINT STORY (from the James Cagney Signature Collection)

I was dreading when checking through all my Looney Tunes Golden Collection sets and the Superman TV series. All played fine and I've backed them up on an external hard drive.

I've repurchased DESPERATE JOURNEY, MALTESE FALCON and POPEYE so far.

Lucky Me was just on TCMHD. Picture was a bit soft but the sound is very nice in stereo with directional dialog.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nancy Drew Reporter on the Nancy Drew Mystery Collection with Bonita Granville freezes during the last 10 minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks