What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Watch Blu ray Movies on iPad? (1 Viewer)

novjan

Auditioning
Real Name
Riff Green
Hey guys,

I have many great Blu-ray movies and I want to watch them on my iPad Pro. I did some search on Google and they say I need to rip my Blu-ray movies to .mp4 format in order to play them on my iPad. I would like to know how can I do that without quality loss. Thanks a lot.

Nov

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
No, you don't need to transcode them to .mp4: you can watch their unadulterated copy (like MKV) using Infuse Pro on your iPad (it also works on AppleTV).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, you don't need to transcode them to .mp4: you can watch their unadulterated copy (like MKV) using Infuse Pro on your iPad (it also works on AppleTV).
How would you get that unadulterated copy onto the iPad? I can't hook up a blu ray player to my iPad Pro because Apple has made sure an external blu ray is not compatible.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don’t use Infuse but I assume the iPad would have to stream from a source like a NAS or Mac via WiFi.
Yes, that is correct, although if you wish to you can download it via Infuse to your iPad, but that makes no sense, unless you want to watch it on a long flight. A Blu-ray is a huge waste of space for an iPad: like ~30GB.

You can download HD movies to you iPad from Netflix, HBO, iTunes etc. that use up one tenth the size and watch them on your flight or subway ride or ... It make no sense to me to do it from Blu-ray, other than to be able to watch it at home either via your AppleTV or iPad without having to hunt for the spinning disk etc. etc. (and when you have a 2500+ DVD/BD collection like I do, the more of it I have on my Mac like I did with my entire CD collection the day Apple Lossless was released more than a decade ago, the better).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks