What's new

International Waterworld (new 4K restoration)- coming from Arrow 12/11/2018 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
waterworldARROW.jpg

Description
The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects.
A definitive post-apocalypse blockbuster, Waterworld stars Kevin Costner (The Untouchables) as The Mariner – a mutant trader, adrift in a dystopian future where Earth is submerged under water and humankind struggles to survive on boats and in ramshackle floating cities. The Mariner becomes embroiled with the Smokers, a gang of pirates who, led by villainous leader Deacon (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet), are seeking Enola (Tina Majorino, Napoleon Dynamite), a girl with a map to the mythical realm of “Dryland” tattooed on her back.
Famous for both its epic scale and the controversy that swirled around its production, Waterworld is a key cult film of the 1990s, and an essential...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
"The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects."

I love how only 1/2 of this sentence is true.

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
I have not watched this film in many years, I have had no great desire to revisit it although I did pick up a dirt cheap HD-DVD copy when the last format war ended. (Still have the HD-DVD player stacked under my Blu-ray player, but rarely use it)

I am not (very) embarrassed to admit though that one of my guilty pleasures is Costner's other post-apocalyptic epic "The Postman"; a schmaltzy tale of a man with no moral center who unwittingly becomes a hero and the catalyst for the rebuilding of society.
I get a special kick out of the appearance of the late, great Tom Petty as a man who used to be famous - "I was once... sorta. Kinda. Not anymore" and the web of lies spun by the Postman including the "fact" that the U.S. government has moved into the (now non-existent) Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in my hometown of Mpls.

I may give Waterworld a fresh view on my old "red" disc one of these days, but it's doubtful I will drop any $ on this new release despite the inclusion of the extended cuts.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
“Blockbuster”? “Block-failure.”

Maybe, but thanks to overseas and video revenue, this film did make a tiny profit.

Anyhow it is about time we got a deluxe edition with a new extended edit in addition to the theatrical and TV cuts. Looking forward to it!

Remember, it was Costner himself who recut the film against the will of director Kevin Reynolds, so what we are gonna see in this new blu ray is the cinema equivalent of David (Reynolds) vs. Goliath (Costner).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man, they're finally releasing a brand new 4K restoration of Waterworld!!! I can't wait! (said no one ever).

You are incorrect on your parenthetical comment. I do quite like Waterworld in all of it's glorious disaster and would love to see the extended TV cuts in glorious presentations. I'm quite aware of why people dislike the movie (and The Postman), but I dislike quite a few of their favorite movies as well and would never suggest or make fun of not releasing a better version (Audio Video) or more complete version of those films. I never understood the allure of Rocky or Christopher Reeve's Superman, but was quite happy for those latter folks when Warner Archive released the long desired TV cut.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, let's cool it as it's only a movie. I always thought this film was harshly received and consider it a better film than many have said about it. An entertaining film to me. I just wish this was released on 4K/UHD disc as those ocean scenes would be beautiful in HDR.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way this film earned $264 million worldwide in 1995

That’s $437 million in today’s dollars.

Vs a $289 million adjusted budget.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Count me among those who like this movie. I also like The Postman. Sure, neither are "great" cinema but they're more than serviceable post-apocalyptic movies and far better than many other examples of that sub-genre.

I'll be purchasing it for the TV and European versions. I've never seen that later one and the description is somewhat intriguing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
By the way this film earned $264 million worldwide in 1995

That’s $437 million in today’s dollars.

Vs a $289 million adjusted budget.

Isn't that "adjusted" budget the production number only? I think I read somewhere that it was more like $235 million (actual) once marketing and distribution costs were factored in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slp22
Recent bookmarks