What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Snow totals ended up mostly 16-20 inches in my area, after the 15 inch storm of two weeks ago. Ridiculous. Either storm alone was more snow than the cumulative of the entire winter up until March 23 (two days after "Spring" began).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
We in Concord, NH got a little under a foot. It was wet and heavy-ish, but not as bad as the previous storm.

I made a comment to a neighbor passing by as we were clearing our driveway and sidewalk that it felt like we got more snow this time than the rest of this winter. Not strictly true, but for most of the winter, we had bare ground.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Spring-predicting groundhogs.

Now more than 8 weeks beyond Punx Phil's prediction of an early spring, and even past the "6 more weeks of winter" alternative, we're possibly getting another foot of snow for the second time in two weeks.
Climate change is even screwing up the powerful Spring predictive power of weather groundhogs. :lol:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So stock up before July to save $1 per each book of 20 stamps. I guess it's time to go to Costco and buy a couple hundred (they usually sell them for a few cents less per hundred than the PO).

One saving grace is that now they have the Forever stamps so you can stock up at a lower price and still use them after the increase goes into effect. I'm old enough to remember when you had to buy a bunch of 2 or 3 cent stamps to make up the difference when the price changed, and add one of those to the regular stamp in order for the mail to be delivered.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I use close to a book per year (12 car payments, 4 trash pick up payments, and a couple of odds and ends). I’ll get another couple of sheets of the forever stamps.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I mail exactly one check each year for my HOA dues and that’s the extent of my stamp needs. A book should last me for the next twenty years. :D
Mine is property taxes once per year. The city uses a 3rd party payment service which tacks on ~$5(+) for their fee and I can mail a check for the price of an envelope plus the last "Forever stamps" I purchased (I get checks free) - or drive 1/2 mile from my office to the collector's office and pay in person with a check for ~$.15 in gas.

My wife mails 1 check/month to the care facility her dad lives in.

15 stamps per year sounds about right for us at the moment. We used to go through that many in a month - roughly a roll every 6 months.

The last time I looked at our roll of stamps it was over half full. I'd wager another 100 stamp roll would last us the rest of our lives based on our projected rate of use. And if we outlive the PO (not unlikely based on their current management and inefficiency) would likely get stuck with a bunch of unused stamps.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
About the only thing I send by mail these days is greeting cards. I frankly do not trust the USPS with anything else. In one of the facilities near Houston, there have been problems with people not getting their mail for months, Christmas packages still not received in March, etc.. I recently read of an identical situation in the Atlanta area. There are now warnings telling people to not put any mail in the standing blue post office boxes because they are frequently robbed. People attach something like fly paper to a belt or strap and go "fishing" in the mailboxes.

At the place where I work, we have had several of our payments to suppliers go awry. The checks had been altered with the payee erased and someone else's name in in its place. These checks were from the same check run and were addressed to suppliers in different parts of the country. It seems quite possible to me that the fraud occurred within the USPS system. In the article I read on the Atlanta problems, they mentioned a rise in "check washing", which is a method for removing the payee's signature and replacing it with another. I don't know how it can be done without being noticeable, but apparently it can be. In the copies I saw of the company's forged checks, nothing looked amiss. We ended up closing our bank account and opening a new one, and ordering new checks that are (hopefully) hard to alter. We are also doing more electronic payments.

When I paid my property taxes in January, I paid it online with a credit card rather than risking the payment not being received by the county.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There are now warnings telling people to not put any mail in the standing blue post office boxes because they are frequently robbed.

We never do anyway. On the rare occasions that we have packages to send, we bring them into the Post Office and present them to a clerk for posting and getting a tracking number. We always track any packages we send out, as well as track any packages coming to us.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
There are now warnings telling people to not put any mail in the standing blue post office boxes because they are frequently robbed. People attach something like fly paper to a belt or strap and go "fishing" in the mailboxes.
What I hear here in the DC area is that mail carriers are frequently robbed of their mail box keys, allowing thieves to open mailboxes and root through the contents at their leisure. Sad state of affairs.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Another round with FedEx....still won't carry my packages to the front door, instead leaving them at my garage.

To make it worse, they left it leaning against my garage door, so it fell over as I hit the button on the opener. The way my house, driveway, and road are all angled, I'm usually hitting the door opener button before I actually see the door.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tonight
Patchy fog before 4am, then patchy fog after 5am.

Ridiculously specific weather forecasts. Above is National Weather Service forecast for my area tonight. Apparently it's foggy before 4am and after 5am, but will be crystal clear between exactly 4 and 5 and not a minute earlier or later.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ridiculously specific weather forecasts. Above is National Weather Service forecast for my area tonight. Apparently it's foggy before 4am and after 5am, but will be crystal clear between exactly 4 and 5 and not a minute earlier or later.

I hope you can tell us now, Malcolm, if the NWS got it right, or not. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks