What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Re-posting the following western TV show reviews from the "HTF Western Movies/TV Shows Challenge 2024" thread:

The Restless Gun – 2.14 “The Way Back”
Wandering fast gun Vint Bonner (John Payne) tries to keep a watchful eye on his naïve friend Olaf Burland (Dan Blocker, in his fifth appearance on the series). After working hard for six years, Olaf finally has earned enough money ($3,000 in cold hard cash) to take back to the family farm in his native Minnesota, but Vint fears that the gullible Olaf will be easy prey for unsavory characters back in town. And he has good reason to worry, as weaselly cowboy Tom Quinn (James Coburn) and saloon owner Jubal Carney (Morgan Woodward) set in motion a plan which gets Vint tossed in jail while the crooked pair use saucy saloon girl Dixie Star (Bek Nelson) to finagle Olaf into taking his money out of the hotel safe. The conflicted Dixie is a reluctant partner in the theft, but her desire to also return to her family farm back east wins out…at first. It’s up to Vint to put things right. A good story enlivened by a terrific guest cast. This Revue western, based on the wonderful Jimmy Stewart radio show The Six Shooter, was produced by David Dotort, who of course would go on to create Bonanza and The High Chaparral.

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-18h44m07s595.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-18h45m13s965.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-18h47m45s497.png

Zane Grey Theatre – 1.8 “A Quiet Sunday in San Ardo”
A trio of outlaws led by Veringo (Gerald Mohr) ambush and murder the marshal of San Ardo, the only person besides the gang who knows that a shipment of gold is due to arrive on the next stage. San Ardo’s mayor (Robert Burton) is convinced that the killers are plotting to rob the bank and - since most of the town’s young, able-bodied men are away on a cattle drive, leaving it vulnerable - pressures Clay Burnett (Wendell Corey) to take the job. The locals know Clay as a good, honest man who also happens to be handy with a gun. But the mayor gets an unexpected surprise when Clay turns the job down flat. The mayor’s daughter (Peggie Castle) happens to be Clay’s fiancée, and is confused about Clay’s motivation for not taking the marshal job in the town’s time of need. But dire circumstances soon force Clay to confront Veringo and his men, and he proves well up to the challenge. Smooth pro Mohr adds another memorable bad guy role to his long list of credits, while familiar heavies Harry Lauter and Morgan Woodward lend solid support.

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h30m57s381.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h29m13s310.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h29m44s769.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h30m07s382.png

Tate – 1.10 “The Reckoning”
Badass one-armed bounty hunter Tate (played with world-weary gravitas by former "Marlboro Man" David McLean) accidentally drinks some tainted water from a mountain spring and is found feverish and near death. A man named Abel (Crahan Denton) and his lonely daughter Lulie Jean (Phyllis Love) take the gunfighter in and nurse him back to health, despite the fact that Abel recognizes Tate as the one hired to track him down for the killing of a young man who the stern Old Testament Abel was convinced had taken advantage of his daughter. Turns out the real snake in the grass is Abel’s ranch hand, Corey (Bing Russell), who has been spreading malicious gossip in the hopes of claiming Lulie Jean for his own. A recuperated Tate sets the record straight, winning yet another girl’s heart before he rides away to the next adventure. This summer replacement series (from Perry Como’s RonCom productions) was sadly short-lived, lasting for only 13 episodes; a pity more weren’t made, as every one of them is of a uniformly high standard, boasting gritty, adult stories, plenty of violent action and top-drawer talent both in front of and behind the camera.

tate credits.png

The Dakotas
– 1.15 “Terror at Heart River”
Marshal Ragan (stern, raspy-voiced Larry Ward) and his deputies arrive in Heart River in the midst of an escalating conflict between the residents of the town and a group of starving Irish laborers mistreated and abandoned without pay by the railroad company. Ragan and a newly-arrived preacher (Royal Dano) strive to broker some sort of peaceful solution, but more blood is destined to be spilled. This is in general a superior (albeit short-lived) Warner Bros. western series, meticulously produced, resolutely tough-minded and frequently grim in its storytelling. That said, this is not the best of the show’s 21 episodes. The acting is good and the bleak, storm-swept atmosphere is vividly realized, but the story is a bit muddled and one-note, and it doesn’t help that the regular cast (including Jack Elam, Chad Everett and Michael Greene – the latter of which doesn’t even get a single line of dialogue here) are mostly sidelined, as guest stars Dano and Sean McClory take center stage. Also with Coleen Gray (mostly wasted), Gene Evans, Charles Horvath and John McLiam.

dakotas.jpg

Maverick
- 2.19 "Duel at Sundown"
As much as I enjoy all of the westerns WB produced during the late '50s - early-60s, this is the one that most consistently boasts the sharpest writing. Wily Bret Maverick (James Garner) stops off at the town of Sundown at the behest of old friend Jed Christianson (Edgar Buchanan). Jed has an ulterior motive, which is for Bret to woo his headstrong daughter (Abby Dalton) away from her intended, local gunslinging bully Red Hardigan (played by a young Clint Eastwood, who would go on to co-star on Rawhide a mere ten months later). At first Bret wants no part of the arrangement, but when Jed sweetens the pot with the promise of $1,000, agrees to stick around for a while. (There's also the fact that Carrie's not exactly unattractive). But when things escalate to the point where Red - who has designs on inheriting the family ranch more than any real romantic interest in Carrie, and also happens to be much faster on the draw than Maverick - threatens to gun Bret down at the earliest opportunity, Maverick is forced to come up with a plan to expose Red for the weasel he really is while keeping his own hide intact. Jack Kelly as brother Bart Maverick figures in a clever twist at the climax.

Good stuff, and seeing Clint play against type as a heavy adds to the fun. Miss Dalton is a winning combination of sexy and wholesome, traits used to her advantage on the sitcoms Hennesey and The Joey Bishop Show. Featuring sultry Linda Lawson in one scene as a saloon gal with whom Red is two-timing Carrie, and James Griffith in another as the real John Wesley Hardin. Also with Myrna Fahey, Dan Sheridan and (according to IMDB) an uncredited Richard Farnsworth.

eastwood maverick.jpg
maverick duel1.jpg

And here's the lovely Abby Dalton, in more seductive mode:

apiu7iszb__68115.jpg

Seems like once a year or so, I get a wild hair and feel like checking out some Star Trek: Enterprise episodes. I bailed sometime back in S1 when the series was originally airing, but now, in light of what has been passing for Star Trek in the recent Paramount+ days, I find the show pleasing and entertaining, and recognizably kin to creator Gene Roddenberry's original vision. I've even found myself growing rather fond of the main cast of characters, despite their relative blandness compared to the iconic crew of the original '60s show. (Don't think I'll ever warm to Voyager, though...)

Star Trek: Enterprise
2.20 "Horizon"
Mayweather (Anthony Montgomery) requests temporary leave from Enterprise to visit the cargo ship Horizon, where he was born and raised...but while his mother is happy to see him, his brother still simmers with resentment. Meanwhile, T'Pol (Jolene Blalock, a.k.a. the sexiest Vulcan ever) reluctantly accepts an invitation from Trip (Connor Trinneer) and Captain Archer (Scott Bakula) to attend a crew movie night (where they are screening the original Frankenstein). A solid slice of Rick Berman-era Trek.

trek-enterprise-horizon-07.jpg

horizon2.jpg

3.8 "Twilight"
Archer awakens 12 years in the future, after the Xindi have reduced Earth and its colonies to a cinder and the remnants of humanity have settled on a distant planet. T'Pol, having resigned her commission to act as his caretaker, informs Archer that an encounter with a mysterious space anomaly on the Enterprise years before left him with permanent long-term memory loss due to his brain being infected with subspace parasites. But now, a visiting Dr. Phlox (John Billingsly) believes he may have perfected a cure...one which also may be the key to undoing the current horrific timeline by altering the past.

This one seems to be highly-regarded among fans, and it's easy to see why. Basically the Enterprise equivalent to The Next Generation's "Yesterday's Enterprise," an apocalyptic "what if?" story that allows the show to briefly have its "kill all the crew in a desperate last-ditch gambit" cake and eat it, too, in tried-and-true "reset button" fashion...but it's suitably tense and impactful, with a lot of incident crammed into its 42-minute runtime.

enterprise twilight1.jpg
twilight2.jpg

The Andy Griffith Show
3.1 "Mr. McBeevee"
Opie (adorable young Ronny Howard) starts talking about his new friend Mr. McBeevee, but both Andy and Barney (the irreplaceable Don Knotts) are convinced that Mr. McBeevee isn't real, but is instead an imaginary friend. Neal a.k.a. The 1960's did a phenomenal job recapping this episode in a recent series of posts here, so I'll simply say: this one's terrific, and if you haven't seen it yet, try to watch it ASAP. On the 50th Anniversary DVD set, this episode is capped off by a very amusing closing sponsor spot, in which Opie's imaginary horse, Blackie, makes a surprise appearance.

3.19 "Class Reunion"
This one opens with a wonderfully relaxed, lengthy scene, in which Andy helps Barney move a heavy trunk full of stuff into storage in the Taylor's garage. While doing so, Andy discovers his and Barn's old school yearbook, leading them on to a reverie about the good old days at Mayberry Union High. The pair decide to organize a class reunion in Mayberry, with Andy hopeful that his high school sweetheart, Sharon (Peggy McCay), who moved away to a life in the big city, will attend. Sharon does show up and the spark is still there for both her and Andy...but Andy soon realizes that there was a reason that things never worked out between them in the first place. A nicely bittersweet, true-to-life note to end the episode on, this one and "Mr. McBeevee" showing that TAGS at its best could be both funny and profound.

S3E19_-_Class_Reunion copy.jpg
class reunion2.jpg

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968)

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-1-jpg.185721

Opening, Andy & Barney

The opening dialogue within the opening clip above revisits a similar technique first introduced in S03E16 Man in a Hurry (Jan.14.1963) and it’s almost as effective here as it was there.

Barney: You know what I just might do tonight?
Andy: What?
Barney: Go home, change, drop by Thelma Lou’s, watch that George Raft movie on the tv.
Andy: Good.
Barney: Yes sir that’s just what I might do, go home, change, drop by Thelma Lou’s, ’n watch the George Raft movie on the tv.
Andy: I might drop over at the choir meeting, they’re voting on the new roads for next year.
Barney: They’re gonna change them are they?
Andy: Yeah. Sissy Nunham wants all white with black collars, Fred Henry he wants black with white collars, I reckon he’ll be fighting about it all night.
Barney: That where you’re gonna go then, choir meeting?
Andy: I might.
Barney: Not me. You know what I'm gonna do?
Andy: Go home, change, over to Thelma Lou’s ’n watch that George Raft movie on the tv.
Barney: Yeahha.

S04E18 Prisoner Of Love (Feb.10.1964)

Stars
Andy Griffith … Andy Taylor
Don Knotts … Barney Fife
Susan Oliver … Prisoner
Hal Smith … Otis Campbell
James Seay … Sgt. Jacobs
Colin Male … Announcer (voice) (uncredited)
Frances Bavier … Aunt Bee Taylor
Writing Credits
Harvey Bullock … Story
Sheldon Leonard … (created by) (uncredited)
Aaron Ruben … (created by) (uncredited)
Danny Thomas ... (created by) (uncredited)
Produced by
Sheldon Leonard … Executive Producer
Richard O. Linke ... Executive Producer
Aaron Ruben … Producer
Music by
Earle Hagen

This story is rich and priceless, something that cannot be completely expressed by using only words. To accomplish this I will attempt to utilize images, video clips and dialogue.

It is a unique episode for the series and a stand-out performance for Andy Griffith as The Prisoner Of Love. Unique in that it contains sexual overtones. The State Police call informing Andy that a prisoner will be temporarily left in their custody. What comes as a surprise is that this prisoner is a female, a gorgeous jewel thief, (played to perfection by the stunning Susan Oliver at the peak of her loveliness). Smitten by the beautiful (unnamed) prisoner, Andy and Barney are hilarious stumbling over one another to garner her attention. They cannot face each other due their embarrassment realizing what each are thinking. Not since S01E21 Andy and the Gentleman Crook (Feb.27.1961) (Gentleman ‘Dan Caldwell’), has Barney been as responsive to a prisoner. Andy can be seen smoking more cigarettes than ever before. So absorbed with the sight of this attractive woman, he pricks his finger while posting notices. His jaw muscles can be seen working overtime, grinding away from sexual arousement. It also features a wonderful scene with Otis Campbell (Hal Smith), after another drunken spree, as Andy and Barney attempt to remove him from the jailhouse because it’s already occupied by the beautiful prisoner.

Andy and the Prisoner

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-13-jpg.185722

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-24-jpg.185723

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-25-jpg.185724

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-37-jpg.185725

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-45-jpg.185726

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-52-jpg.185727

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-53-jpg.185728

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-55-jpg.185729

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-56-jpg.185730

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-58-jpg.185731

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-61-jpg.185732

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-65-jpg.185733

Andy: (clears throat) Evening.
Prisoner: Evening.
Andy: Are you the prisoner?
Prisoner: That’s what they tell me, am I being a problem?
Andy: Oh no no, you’re not being a problem, it’s just that umm, well, we expected a man.
Prisoner: I’m sorry to disappoint you.
Andy: Oh no no I’m not disappointed it’s just that uh it’s just that Sgt. Jacobs never said anything about you being a female.
Prisoner: Maybe he didn’t notice?
Andy: I expert he noticed, I mean you don’t look anything like a boy. Well uh, if a you need anything well uh, I’ll be right here.
Prisoner: And I’ll be right here.
Andy: Yeah, well.

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-73-jpg.185734

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-74-jpg.185735

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-80-jpg.185736

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-86-jpg.185737

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-88-jpg.185738

Hot & Bothered

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-104-jpg.185826

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-114-jpg.185827

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-116-jpg.185828

Andy is trying not to let the Prisoner get to him.

Andy: Hah well I guess all the excitements over with.
Prisoner: My it’s kind of a kooky jail I’m enjoying it.
Andy: Well if a, there’s nothing else that you want.
Prisoner: But there is, I mean if it ain’t agin regulations. I suppose it sounds silly, do you think you could, well, maybe, pull up a chair and talk with me a little?
Andy: Oh, sure, sure
Andy: Well anyway, Henry Gilly was just the shyest thing that ever lived. He just couldn’t seem to get up the nerve to ask Tila Lee Vernon to marry him till one Saturday night out on her front porch swing, he turned to her and he says Tila Lee, 16 years I’ve been sittin’ out here with you every Saturday night weather permitten’, and 16 years I’ve been walking you home from prayer meetin’ and all that time I been bringin’ you candy and flowers and stuff like that, now Tila Lee lemme ask you know, ain’t you beginnin' to smell a rat?
Prisoner: And they did get married?
Andy: Yeah, live in a little yellow house to up in the corner.
Prisoner: Sheriff?
Andy: Yeah?
Prisoner: Thank you.
Andy: What’d I do?
Prisoner: Well it’s what you didn’t do. Ask me why and how come I'm here. You’ve given me an evening in which the only one asking questions is myself, and that’s very nice.
Andy: Well I guess I better do a little work.

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-120-jpg.185829

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-126-jpg.185830

The Kiss?

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-132-jpg.185831

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-134-jpg.185832

Prisoner: Darn this thing!
Andy: What’s the trouble?
Prisoner: It gets stuck all the time.
Andy: Well here, let me give you a hand. Seems to be stuck, doesn’t it.
Prisoner: Oh it’s this one.
Andy: Probably, probably Barney …

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-141-jpg.185833

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-147-jpg.185834

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-151-jpg.185835

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-154-jpg.185836

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-166-jpg.185837

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-168-jpg.185838

the-andy-griffith-show-s04e18-prisoner-of-love-feb-10-1964-192-jpg.185839

The Andy Griffith Show S04E18 Prisoner Of Love (Feb.10.1964)-199.jpg
The Andy Griffith Show S04E18 Prisoner Of Love (Feb.10.1964)-200.jpg
The Andy Griffith Show S04E18 Prisoner Of Love (Feb.10.1964)-203.jpg

Can’t Blame A Girl For Trying, Closing Credits

Episode Notes:

1. The title is from the 1931 song "Prisoner Of Love" with music by Russ Columbo and Clarence Gaskill and lyrics by Leo Robin popularized by Perry Como.

2. The unnamed prisoner was given the name Angela Carroll in an un-produced script. Perhaps it was decided that the lack of a name added to the sense of mystery.

3. In S02E03 Andy and the Woman Speeder (Oct.16.1961) Sheriff Taylor says that, by law, a female prisoner must have a matron. This law was overlooked in this episode.

4. This episode is very sensual and unique and was possibly the most unusual episode in the entire series.

5. This is one of only two episodes where a female is shown smoking, the other being S03E11 Convicts-at-Large (Dec.10.1962).

6. This episode is available on DVD without the laugh track but is usually broadcast with it.

7. The female prisoner was the first in the Mayberry jail. Andy and Barney argue over who will stay with her.

8. This is an episode of Season 4 where Opie Taylor is absent.

“As you become more fragile, you reflect and you realize how much comfort can come from the past” - Andy Griffith

Bless these three wonderful souls for all the enormous contributions they made to Classic Television and to the enrichment of our lives!

Andy Griffith (1926-2012) .............. Don Knotts (1924-2006) ............. Susan Oliver (1932-1990)​

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
It is a unique episode for the series and a stand-out performance for Andy Griffith as The Prisoner Of Love. Unique in that it contains sexual overtones. The State Police call informing Andy that a prisoner will be temporarily left in their custody. What comes as a surprise is that this prisoner is a female, a gorgeous jewel thief, (played to perfection by the stunning Susan Oliver at the peak of her loveliness).
A great episode of a great show. Nicely done, Neal!

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
MANNIX 3x04 "the playground." a small thing, but i kinda like it better (just for realism's sake) in PI/detective shows when the client is a stranger, rather than one of a stream of "old friends" needing help. no matter. in this one, joe must figure out who's trying to kill egotistical movie star robert conrad (fresh off WILD WILD WEST). doesn't offer up too many suspects, so the reveal isn't much of a surprise, but the "majestic studios"/paramount lot setting is fun. no doubt the fake street storefronts appeared as real in other episodes.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
A great episode of a great show. Nicely done, Neal!
Thank you Jeff. As I'm sure you know, this was from a two-post Andy Griffith Birthday Tribute last year, reworked and condensed into a single post here. Not just a great episode, but a great recipe as well.

Mr. McBeevee's Make Ahead Breakfast

Mr. McBeevee's Make Ahead Breakfast.png
These are not to be overlooked either.

Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumbers Recipe

Aunt Bee's Kerosene Cucumbers Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Baked Goober Beanies Recipe

Baked Goober Beanies Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Barney's Salt & Pepper Steak Recipe

Barney's Salt & Pepper Steak Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Campbell Cranberry Pie Recipe

Campbell Cranberry Pie Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Ellie's Confetti Vegetables Recipe

Ellie's Confetti Vegetables Recipe Postcard | Celebrity ....jpeg

Ernest T. Bass Rock Bars Recipe

Ernest T. Bass Rock Bars Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Gomer's Banana Bread Pyle Recipe

Gomer's Banana Bread Pyle Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Goober's Radiator Flush Punch Recipe

Goober's Radiator Flush Punch Recipe.jpeg

Hollister Hoppin' John Recipe

Hollister Hoppin' John Recipe Postcard _ Still Life… _ Flickr.jpeg

Juanita's Ginger Cookies Recipe

Juanita's Ginger Cookies Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Miss Crump's Gold Star Gazpacho Recipe

Miss Crump's Gold Star Gazpacho Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Mr. Schwump's Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe

Mr. Schwump's Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Mt. Pilot Pecan Pie Recipe

Mt. Pilot Pecan Pie Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Newton Monroe's Pineapple Casserole Recipe

Newton Monroe's Pineapple Casserole Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Opie & Leon's Favorite Buttermilk Pie Recipe

Opie & Leon's Favorite Buttermilk Pie Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Opie's Carrot-top Cake Recipe

Opie's Carrot-top Cake Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Pan-fried Flounder Floyd Recipe

Pan-fried Flounder Floyd Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Pipe Down Pork Chop Casserole Recipe *

Pipe Down Pork Chop Casserole Recipe Postcard.jpeg

Thelma Lou's Chocolate Cream Dessert Recipe

Thelma Lou's Chocolate Cream Dessert Recipe Postcard.jpeg

* I actually had the Pipe Down Pork Chop Casserole for dinner tonight. Deeelicious!

Thank you to @ponset for getting me started on all this with the Mr. McBeevee's Make Ahead Breakfast Recipe.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just completed a first time viewing of The Flash (1990). It's not "great" but *is* lots of fun. It masks the era with a variety of methods from using 50s style as well as ultra modern designs for automobiles. Computers are present but not intrusive. Clothing styles, like the cars, span eras and mask the year. Acting is generally passable, though frequently a bit on the "bad" side. There's also a cheesy humor that mostly falls flat. Vfx are decent though some of the speed vfx are a bit cheesy and could have been done a bit better. And the origin is mostly correct. I was surprised that they even have Star Labs in the series. Frankly, I enjoyed this 1 season 1990 series far more than the latest incarnation from DC. And Mark Hamill is in 2 episodes as "The Trickster" doing an excellent job. Fans of DC, especially the Silver Age stuff, should give this one a viewing.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I just completed a first time viewing of The Flash (1990). It's not "great" but *is* lots of fun. It masks the era with a variety of methods from using 50s style as well as ultra modern designs for automobiles. Computers are present but not intrusive. Clothing styles, like the cars, span eras and mask the year. Acting is generally passable, though frequently a bit on the "bad" side. There's also a cheesy humor that mostly falls flat. Vfx are decent though some of the speed vfx are a bit cheesy and could have been done a bit better. And the origin is mostly correct. I was surprised that they even have Star Labs in the series. Frankly, I enjoyed this 1 season 1990 series far more than the latest incarnation from DC. And Mark Hamill is in 2 episodes as "The Trickster" doing an excellent job. Fans of DC, especially the Silver Age stuff, should give this one a viewing.
I’ve been meaning to pick this up on DVD. I think they were trying hard to follow the ‘89 Batman’s template, just done a little lighter for TV.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Brady Bunch S4E17 Bobby's Hero
Bobby finds out the old west wasn't so glamorous

Cannon S5E21 Snapshot

Sugarfoot S1E3 The Strange Land

Sugarfoot helps his fathers friend get back to living

Magnum PI (2018) S1E1 I Saw the Sun Rise

The Phil Silvers Show S1E12 The Singing Contest

Murder She Wrote S7E5 The Family Jewels

My Three Sons S1E12 My Three Strikers

Strong family themed episode

Father Knows Best S2E37 Betty's Graduation
My favorite episode on the list for no particular reason

The Odd Couple S2E1 Natural Child Birth
The Blu ray edition looks and sounds very good

Andromeda S1E5 Double Helix

Stargate SG1 S2E21 1969

First of two episodes looking back at the 60's

MacGyver S3E8 The Widowmaker

The Rockford Files S3E2 The Oracle Wore a Cashmere Suit

Hawaii Five-O S3E11 Over Fifty? Steal

Maverick S1E9 Stampede

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Guest stars as Dandy Jim Buckley

Rosemary and Thyme S1E4 Sweet Angelica
A Whodunnit that kept me guessing

Daniel Boone S2E12 The First Beau

Fairly Legal S1E2 Priceless

McHale's Navy S1E18 One of Our Engines is Missing

Sabrina the Teenage Witch S2E8 Inna-Gadda-Sabrina

The second episode with a Fun look at the 60's

Longstreet S1E3 One in the Reality Column

Matlock S2E10 The Country Boy

Star Trek Enterprise S2E11 Precious Cargo

Bonanza S4E2 The Quest

The bonus feature was a promo of the new Chevrolet cars for 1962 featuring the casts of Bonanza, My Three Sons, and Route 66 that originally aired after the episode.

Dr Who Classic S8E8 The Mind of Evil episode 4
This six part episode is starting to get really interesting

Dr. Kildare S1E6 Admitting Service

Perry Mason S5E5 The Case of the Crying Comedian

No Della in this one.

The Perry Mason Movies: Perry Mason Returns

NCIS S3E3 Mind Games

Bewitched S1E34 Remember the Main

Comical episode about corrupt politics

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet S2E2 The Party

Secret Agent S2E19 It's Up to the Lady

Hazel S3E12 Call Me Harve

The Waltons S8E3 The Kinfolk

Good story about family helping family during tough economic times

Gomer Pyle S2E22 A Star Is Born

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here lately, the CD/DVD drive on my computer has just plain quit on me, so now I am (as of right now) unable to document the episodes I see here, because I'm unable to get the screenshots for them; my nephew, however, is going to get me an external CD/DVD drive which I can plug up by USB, and if that works, I will be in business on this score once again.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Star Tek: Enterprise
2.23 “Regeneration”
In a creepy opening reminiscent of John Carpenter’s The Thing, a group of Starfleet researchers find a pair of cybernetic bodies buried in the Arctic ice. Turns out the supposed corpses are not quite dead…in fact, they are members of the Borg (in a clever touch, part of the remnants of the Borg Sphere that was destroyed by the Next Gen crew in the feature film, Star Trek: First Contact). The Borg bodies return back to inimical life, brutally assimilate the members of the research team, upgrade the team’s shuttle to warp capability and head off into space, straight into the path of the Enterprise and its crew, who have no idea about just how horrifically powerful an enemy they are dealing with. Quite a suspenseful episode, in which the crew narrowly avoid catastrophe through a combination of ingenuity and pluck. Easily one of the more exciting episodes of this series I’ve seen so far.

borg.jpg

11-regeneration copy.jpg

archer regeneration.jpg

2.24 “First Flight
After their harrowing encounter with the Borg, the crew of the Enterprise take a bit of a breather. Captain Archer (Scott Bakula) receives some bad news via subspace communication from Earth: his friend and colleague, A.G. Robinson (Keith Carradine) has been killed in a mountain climbing accident. A somber, contemplative Archer sets off in a shuttle to investigate an area of dark matter, accompanied by Vulcan sub-commander T'Pol (Jolene Blalock). Along the way, T’Pol gets Archer to open up about his past, when both he and rival test pilot Robinson struggled to carry out Earth's first successful Warp 2 test flight almost ten years earlier. Flashback episodes don’t always work, but this one remains interesting, as it fills in some backstory about humanity’s first steps in joining the Federation, to eventually go “where no man has gone before.”

Trek-Enterprise-first-flight-01.jpg

Trek-Enterprise-first-flight-02-740x417.jpg

Wagon Train - 1.17 "The Jesse Cowan Story"
Two brothers, Bob (Mort Mills) and Jesse Cowan (George Montgomery) return to their home after the Civil War to find it burned to the ground and their parents in the grave, having been murdered by members of the Beal family in the latest turn in a generations-long feud between the two mountain clans. Bob and Jesse learn that the Beals have left the valley and joined up with a wagon train heading west, and so both Cowans head off in pursuit intent on revenge, bringing their feud to Major Adams' (Ward Bond) convoy. Bob still seethes with hatred, as does Rufe Beal (Lee Van Cleef) on the other side, but Jesse begins to question the need for continuing the cycle of violence between the two families...especially when he lays eyes once again on pretty young Sally Jo Beal (Penny Edwards), who has long loved him from afar. A solid early entry in this popular western series, presided over through most of its first four seasons in larger-than-life, bellowing fashion by the great character actor Ward Bond. Co-star Robert Horton, as scout Flint McCullough, shows up just in time for the Indian attack finale. James Burke, Olive Carey and Malcolm Atterbury round out the supporting cast.

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h32m08s498.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h33m59s703.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h33m19s236.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h36m03s963.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-13-17h34m42s051.png

Bonanza - 7.21 "The Code"
Gunfighter Dan Taggert (George Montgomery, again) comes to Virginia City and picks a fight with Little Joe (Michael Landon), challenging him to a showdown the following morning. A slick Easterner named Harry Fitts (Robert Ellenstein, oily as ever) is quick to take bets from the townsfolk of Virginia City on whether or not Joe will show up for the duel. Joe swallows his pride and tries to make peace with Taggert, but to no avail. Turns out Fitts and the alcoholic, self-hating Taggert are in cahoots...Fitts choosing the mark and Taggert gunning them down. But this time it's different...for Sally (Jan Shepard), the woman Taggert once loved and still does, is now working in a saloon in Virginia City, and is eager to reconcile. Meanwhile, Joe grapples with the choice of obeying his father Ben (Lorne Greene) and refusing to fight, or living up to the "code of the West" and going through it.

As usual with a long-running older TV series like Bonanza, incidents from past episodes seem to be conveniently forgotten. Like the script trying to imply that Little Joe has never killed a man before...when longtime viewers have seen him blow away probably a good 50 or so bad guys in self-defense over the course of the previous six seasons. Or that the denizens of Virginia City would judge Joe a coward if he didn't go through with the duel...after he and his family have courageously pulled Virginia City's collective fat out of the fire countless times before. But taken strictly as a standalone episode of television, this one works well enough, and is a good showcase for the older but still imposing Montgomery, not to mention the warm family dynamics between the Cartwright clan which made this show such a success.

montgomery bonanza copy.jpg

Man in a Suitcase – 1.11 “Dead Man’s Shoes”
Badly wounded agent John Glisan (John Carson) is on the run, carrying a list of names which will uncover key members of a global drugs racket, and attempts to make his way out of Europe and back to his home village in the English countryside. The upper-class head of the drugs racket, Peters (James Villiers, on superbly smug form), has in the interim dispatched a trio of hired thugs, led by Guardino (Derren Nesbitt), to carry out a series of raids on the village, burning down farm property and inciting terror among the villagers. Into this highly-charged atmosphere of suspicion and hostility comes disgraced former CIA agent turned private eye McGill (Richard Bradford), who has been hired by Peters to find Glisan, unaware of who exactly he’s working for and to what end. As Glisan returns to the village and the baddies move in for the kill, McGill once again puts his life on the line to make amends and set things right.

Another terrific entry in this, one of the harder-edged of ITC’s “action man” series, capped off by a blistering, violent climax. As always, big Yank Bradford strides like a surly panther through the seemingly idyllic, pastoral English countryside, both doling out and receiving brutal beatdowns. Also featuring fine work from Jane Sofiano, Murray Evans, John Brandon, Noel Howlett and Gerald Sim (as the disapproving Chief Inspector Hadley, who makes a return appearance in the even more impressive episode, “Burden of Proof.”)

Mannix – 5.12 “Murder Times Three”
Someone’s paid a couple of thug bikers to try and run P.I. Joe Mannix (Mike Connors) of a cliff. Mannix, currently working on three different cases for three different clients - wealthy parents searching for their runaway daughter; an embezzlement case for a fellow private detective named Dan Brockway (Gene Evans); and a threatening telephone call received by a young couple (Pamela Payton-Wright and Daniel J. Travanti) – is summarily fired from all three. Certain his being attacked was calculated to scare him off one of the investigations, ol' ironhead Joe starts poking around, eventually uncovering a plan to assassinate a visiting foreign dignitary. Good episode with some fun twists and turns and the usual allotment of rambunctious fights, with Joe dishing out some well-deserved knuckle sandwiches. Also with Joe Moross, Pippa Scott, Tol Avery and Lee de Broux.

Inspector Morse – 1.2 “The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn”
The discovery of the body of Nicholas Quinn (Phil Nice), a deaf member of an Oxford-based university entrance examination syndicate, leads detective duo Chief Inspector Morse (John Thaw) and Sergeant Lewis (Kevin Whately) into a possible college cheating scandal. The hard-drinking, opera-loving bachelor Morse, dubbed by his boss as “a good detective but a poor policeman,” is long on occasionally-genius inspiration, but frequently depends on the pragmatic Lewis to do the plodding, routine yet crucial legwork to solve his cases. Characteristically, Morse quickly susses out the general shape, motive and modus operandi of the case correctly, but makes a few false arrests before finally nailing the true culprit(s). This is the first of many episodes detailing the rarified air of donnish Oxford collegiate life, and the series always gets a lot of mileage out of the snobbery, pretense and venal immorality hiding behind the serenely respectable surface. A great supporting cast is on hand, too, including sexy Barbara Flynn, Michael Gough, Clive Swift, Frederic Treves, Anthony Smee and Roger Lloyd-Pack.

Here's Thaw, chatting with author Colin Dexter, who, ala Hitchcock, makes a non-speaking cameo in every single Morse telefilm:

thaw and dexter.jpg

Cheyenne - 5.12 "Massacre at Gunsight Pass"
Cheyenne (man mountain Clint Walker), escorting outlaw Johnny Eldorado (Sherwood Price) to the Army brig at Fort Bridger, is forced to take a stage through the Wyoming territory due to Shoshone chief Yellowface (X Brands) and his warriors being on the rampage. Cheyenne and the local sheriff urge the four prospective passengers - a couple (Patricia Michon and Robert Knapp) with an agenda of their own; a spinster (Dee Carroll), who's come west with plans to help educate the Indians; and an egotistical Russian count and former Cossack (Jack Elam, having a whale of a good time) - to wait for the next stage, but all of them refuse. When the count foolishly shoots and kills a Shoshone without provocation, Cheyenne and the rest make a dash for the nearest stage stop, run by boorish creep Joe Stone (Robert Foulk) and his abused young wife, Molly (Kathie Lee Browne). Soon Yellowface and his braves have them pinned down in Stone's shack, low on water, food and ammunition, with certain death waiting for any man or woman foolish enough to venture outside...

Exciting "siege" episode, with lots going on between the disparate characters and a body count that lives up to the episode title. Things look bleak indeed, until the unflappable Cheyenne heads out armed with bow and arrow to even the odds and challenge Yellowface to a mano y mano fight. Also with Paul Mantee (as a "civilized" Shoshone who loves Molly), Hank Patterson and Allan "Rocky" Lane (voice of Mr. Ed) as the sheriff.

Lawman
2.12 "The Shelter"
Marshal Dan Troop (John Russell) and deputy Johnny McKay (Peter Brown) capture killer Ben Moray (Christ Alcaide) and are taking him back to Laramie for trial, when they are forced by a torrential rainstorm to take shelter in a remote cabin in the mountains, occupied by Jack Brace (John Alderson) and his enigmatic squaw, Tucupita (Anna Novarro). Brace seems friendly enough at first, but his true, murderous nature emerges soon enough. A fine, taut episode well-played by the small cast...and lead John Russell's intimidating death stare ranks up there with the best in the business.

john russell 1 copy.jpg

3.17 "Firehouse Lil"
Lily (slinky Peggie Castle), owner of The Birdcage saloon, is appointed Chief of the town's Fire Brigade, much to the amusement of Dan Troop, who has just overseen the temporary deposit of $140,000 into Laramie's bank vault. Meanwhile, four miscreants (including familiar B-western heavy, I. Stanford Jolley) decide to set a fire at the livery stable at the outskirts of town and use the resulting pandemonium to blow the safe and abscond with the cash. This is one of the series' rare comedic episodes, and IMO is something of a misfire, despite some clever banter between the would-be bank thieves.

firehouse lil.jpg

Rawhide - 1.21 "Incident in No-Man's Land"
Just as tough trail boss Gil Favor (Eric Fleming) and his crew of drovers have brought their herd into an area of good grazing and are expecting to rest up for a few days, a series of explosions threatens to stampede the herd. Favor and ramrod Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood) ride off to investigate. They come across a strange, makeshift camp completely full of women. Turns out they are the wives and girlfriends of prisoners toiling in a labor camp nearby, run by hard-nosed warden Clement (Reed Hadley). Brian Keith, Adam Williams and Don Megowan are among a group of prisoners who use stolen dynamite to break out, killing several guards in the process. They head to the women's camp with the plan to steal horses from the drovers, but Favor ain't having none of that, and moves to intercept them. Another strong early episode of this top-notch western series, which benefits as always from sharp scripting, fine naturalistic acting, and evocative black-and-white cinematography, with nearly every story being filmed almost entirely outdoors. One of four episodes directed by talented Universal monster maven Jack Arnold. Also starring Phyllis Avery (as Keith's steadfast, principled wife), Shirley Knight, Dee J. Thompson and former blonde bombsell B-movie star, Mary Beth Hughes.

p1186793_e_h8_aa.jpg

Miss Marple – “The Body in the Library”
The second of the BBC’s splendid adaptations of Agatha Christie’s twelve novels featuring elderly spinster sleuth Jane Marple (portrayed to perfection by Joan Hickson, with her piercing blue eyes and inscrutable gaze), which aired in 1984. The discovery of the body of a young woman in the library at Gossington Hall, home of Col. Arthur Bantry (Moray Watson) and his wife, Dolly (Gwen Watford), arouses the suspicions of the police and causes tongues to wag in the village of St. Mary Mead. A distressed Dolly calls in her good friend, Jane Marple, and soon the seemingly innocuous little old lady is on the case – much to the chagrin of Inspector Slack (David Horovitch), who at this early stage doesn’t put much credence in the high opinion in which his superiors, Col. Melchett (Frederick Jaeger) and the retired Sir Henry Clithering (Raymond Francis), hold Miss Marple's “forensic mind.” It’s a twisty case with a large cast of suspects and ancillary characters, requiring all three hour-long parts to untangle. Beautifully produced with excellent 1930s period detail, and featuring a deep cast of skilled British thespians; it’s easy to see why most Christie fans feel no other version of Miss Marple, before or since, can hold a candle to this one. Plus the series looks simply wonderful remastered for HD. Also with Valentine Dyall, Anthony Cruickshank, Ciaran Madden, Trudie Styler, Anthony Smee, John Moffat and Ian Brimble (in his first of five appearances as Slack’s long-suffering Sergeant Lake).

miss marple body.jpg

Gunsmoke - 13.22 "The Jackals"
Generally speaking, my favorite episodes of these later color seasons of Gunsmoke are the "solo" Matt Dillon ones, which usually find our stalwart Dodge City marshal doggedly tracking down some very bad men and bringing them to justice. In this rugged action yarn, Matt (James Arness, older but still formidable) is down in Texas, celebrating the retirement of his old boss and friend, Sheriff Mark Handlin (Joe de Santis), when five gunmen, led by Mel Deevers (Paul Richards, in typical shifty weasel mode), ride into town and shooting, deliberately murdering Handlin. Matt returns fire, blowing away one of the outlaws and seriously wounding another. The rest of the episode follows him as he goes in hot pursuit of the killers, crossing the border down into Mexico, while his prey try fruitlessly to evade him. Deevers is a real skunk, quick to run out on his compadres if there's a chance to save his worthless hide...but eventually, his luck runs out and Dillon catches up to him in the sleepy village of San Pablo.

Dillion is depicted as an unstoppable force in this one, never giving up, constantly on his quarry's trail, not only dispatching a couple more of the outlaws in the process, but also taking down three bandidos who try to waylay him. One of the reasons I prefer these solo Matt episodes is that they give the show a chance to breathe and get away from the very obvious Dodge City studiobound sets; practically the entire episode was filmed outdoors in harsh, rocky desert terrain, which really adds production value. For some reason, despite the presence of numerous, authentically Latin actors, the very Caucasian Tige Andrews was cast as Santillo, leader of the bandidos...he makes a real meal out of the role, too, and is quite entertaining.

vlcsnap-2024-03-18-23h09m31s014.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-18-23h08m21s844.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-18-23h11m11s201.png
vlcsnap-2024-03-18-23h08m44s398.png

vlcsnap-2024-03-18-23h08m52s021.png

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Combat! 1.16 The Volunteer. The squad comes into a small French village that has recently been liberated from the Germans. A 13-year old boy named Gilbert attaches himself to them. He has been left as an orphan and wants to enlist in the US Army. He has an old rifle and he stands at attention to impress the US soldiers with his commitment. He only speaks French so Caje translates for him. At first he is just a cute curiosity. But when the squad leaves his village, Gilbert follows them at a distance, and suddenly appears to them out in the field. Now he has become more aggravating, as the squad is being bombed by the Germans. Lt. Hanley is injured by shrapnel and has to return to the village for medical attention. Gilbert finally becomes helpful as he is assigned to help Lt. Hanley back to the village. Along the way they encounter a German patrol who are circling back to the village to set a trap for the Allied soldiers who will next come into town. Gilbert hides Lt. Hanley under some brush and exposes himself to the Germans. They also treat him as a curiosity. But one of them (Ted Knight) befriends Gilbert and offers him some chocolate. He shows Gilbert of picture of his own son, and the two have a cordial exchange. The patrol moves on and Gilbert hustles the lieutenant back to his home in town. Hanley figures out a way to communicate to Gilbert to head back to the rest of the squad and bring them to town before the German patrol can set up. The boy races back and finds Sgt. Saunders and the rest of the squad and tells them they must return to the village. They are able to get there in time to save Lt. Hanley and the rest of the villagers.

The young actor who portrays Gilbert (Serge Prieur) is awesome at showing youtful earnestness and desire to please. He says a lot with his eyes and doesn’t even seem to be acting. At this point it would have been a very sweet story. Gilbert ends up being really helpful and has his moment of glory. But in the last moments the episode turns deeply poignant. In his further effort to help his army buddies Gilbert aims his rifle and shoots at the first German soldier he sees. It turns out to be the soldier (Ted Knight) that had befriended Gilbert earlier. The German soldier falls dead. When Gilbert realizes who he has killed, he is heartbroken, and it all shows up in his eyes because he can’t explain to the squad what has just happened. The squad gets ready to leave the village again and they all comment on Gilbert’s disinterest in following them anymore. They assume the boy has had more than enough adventure and has lost his desire to be a soldier. As they march away Gilbert just stands there, trying to soak 23-year old emotions into his 13-year old mind. As the episode ended I just sat there in my den, soaking in one of the most heartfelt tv episodes I have ever seen.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Combat! 1.16 The Volunteer. The squad comes into a small French village that has recently been liberated from the Germans. A 13-year old boy named Gilbert attaches himself to them. He has been left as an orphan and wants to enlist in the US Army. He has an old rifle and he stands at attention to impress the US soldiers with his commitment. He only speaks French so Caje translates for him. At first he is just a cute curiosity. But when the squad leaves his village, Gilbert follows them at a distance, and suddenly appears to them out in the field. Now he has become more aggravating, as the squad is being bombed by the Germans. Lt. Hanley is injured by shrapnel and has to return to the village for medical attention. Gilbert finally becomes helpful as he is assigned to help Lt. Hanley back to the village. Along the way they encounter a German patrol who are circling back to the village to set a trap for the Allied soldiers who will next come into town. Gilbert hides Lt. Hanley under some brush and exposes himself to the Germans. They also treat him as a curiosity. But one of them (Ted Knight) befriends Gilbert and offers him some chocolate. He shows Gilbert of picture of his own son, and the two have a cordial exchange. The patrol moves on and Gilbert hustles the lieutenant back to his home in town. Hanley figures out a way to communicate to Gilbert to head back to the rest of the squad and bring them to town before the German patrol can set up. The boy races back and finds Sgt. Saunders and the rest of the squad and tells them they must return to the village. They are able to get there in time to save Lt. Hanley and the rest of the villagers.

The young actor who portrays Gilbert (Serge Prieur) is awesome at showing youtful earnestness and desire to please. He says a lot with his eyes and doesn’t even seem to be acting. At this point it would have been a very sweet story. Gilbert ends up being really helpful and has his moment of glory. But in the last moments the episode turns deeply poignant. In his further effort to help his army buddies Gilbert aims his rifle and shoots at the first German soldier he sees. It turns out to be the soldier (Ted Knight) that had befriended Gilbert earlier. The German soldier falls dead. When Gilbert realizes who he has killed, he is heartbroken, and it all shows up in his eyes because he can’t explain to the squad what has just happened. The squad gets ready to leave the village again and they all comment on Gilbert’s disinterest in following them anymore. They assume the boy has had more than enough adventure and has lost his desire to be a soldier. As they march away Gilbert just stands there, trying to soak 23-year old emotions into his 13-year old mind. As the episode ended I just sat there in my den, soaking in one of the most heartfelt tv episodes I have ever seen.

“The Volunteer”
produced and directed by Robert Altman
guest: Ted Knight

A dedicated French orphan willing to join Company K plot and with original music cues: see the opening titles and the theme of Gilbert performed by a harmonica. First, the boy acts like a puppy dog and then he becomes the aide of wounded Hanley. In the end, the boy shoots down a friendly German soldier—has flashes of memory made with a montage of previous scenes—and gives up his ambition of becoming a soldier. The film-making is naturalistic and poetic at once: see the scene when Gilbert follows the squad throughout the countryside at a remote distance, has lunch and a nap and looks for the squad in a hurry (Altman transcribes the fear of Gilbert about losing the trace of the squad and shows his subjective viewpoint). The hill scene is fantastic due to its pyrotechnics and Hanley gets hit by an explosion, rolls down and Caje orders Gilbert to accompany Hanley back to the village. But the best part is Gilbert hiding Hanley under thin branches when a German patrol passes by, catches the kid and a nice family man soldier shows him the picture of his little daughter and gives him a bar of chocolate. Gilbert pushes a cart that carries Hanley and hides him again but under his bed. Contains the glorious arrival of Company K in a French-liberated town during the prologue and that is watched by lonely Gilbert: wine, women and flowers. The boy actor has a Canadian accent.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Colt .45
Devoured the first two discs' worth of episodes on Warner Archive's beautiful new Complete Series Blu-Ray set. For more detailed thoughts on the series as a whole so far (basically, I think it's damn good), please see my post in the dedicated Colt .45 thread here. I don't currently have the means to take Blu-Ray screencaps, but suffice it to say that the show, remastered from original elements, looks pristine in HD.

screen-shot-2024-01-21-at-10.21.12-pm.png

1.1 "Judgment Day"
Gun salesman (and undercover government agent) Christopher Colt (big, ramrod straight, quietly imposing Wayde Preston) arrives in Cottonwood, Arizona, ready to sell his new line of guns, but a young missionary (Erin O'Brien) blames him for helping contribute to the culture of violence in the west. Meanwhile, the town bully (Andrew Duggan, at 6'5", a physically well-matched opponent for Preston) tries to goad Colt into a gunfight. Well, he gets his wish, fat lot of good it'll do him. Preston has a calm, quiet dignity and gravitas that I really like, and seems to have hit the ground running with his stoic, principled character fully intact. Also with Peter Brown, Bob Steele and Kenneth MacDonald in a recurring role as Colt's superior, Col. Parker.

1.2 "A Time to Die"
While Colt is escorting affable prisoner Jim Girard (Wayne Morris) across the desert, they are attacked by Indians. Girard manages to break free, leaving Colt stranded without a gun, horse, food or water. Chris barely makes it out of the desert alive, and, after recovering from his ordeal, is determined to bring his man in...even if it means walking into Girard's mountain lair alone. With Dan Blocker, John Daheim and Sean Garrison.

1.3 "The $3,000 Bullet"
A rattlesnake mean outlaw gets shot down in a saloon. Three townsfolk then try to claim the $3,000 reward, each having fired a shot - though only one bullet hit its target, the one fired by rancher Hodges (Richard Garland). Chris pretends to be the dead man's friend, a deadly gunslinger, to lure in another criminal, but things get tense when Hodges tries to challenge him to gunfight. Colt has no beef with Hodges, only admiration, but needs to keep his cover intact. With Harlan Warde, Michael Dante and Walter Reed.

1.4 "Gallows at Granite Gap"
Chris captures the notorious outlaw, "The Comanche Kid" (Laramie's John Smith) and brings him back to Granite Gap. The townspeople are bound and determined to hang the Kid for numerous killings, but a woman (Virginia Gregg) arrives, tormented by the belief that the ruthless murderer is her long-lost son, taken by the Comanche when he was a child. With Stuart Randall, Harry Antrim and, briefly, Ken "Eddie Haskell" Osmond.

1.5 "Small Man"
Chris meets seemingly mild-mannered tenderfoot John Barton (Jay Novello) on the stage, and is mystified when the man later challenges two notorious gunfighters and kills them both, despite the other men clearly beating him to the draw. Colt finds the answer in the dime novels that he saw Barton carrying. With Charles Fredericks, Rayford Barnes and Chris Alcaide.

1.6 "Final Payment"
Chris goes undercover in an attempt to nab three nasty brothers, who are running roughshod over a territory, on tax fraud charges. Former cowboy star Dick Foran plays a friendly, hard-partying local with an eye for trouble who Colt deputizes...but can he be trusted? Also with Hollis Irving and Walter Barnes.

1.7 "One Good Turn"
Colt finds a badly wounded man in the jungle and takes him to a small Mexican village nearby...but none of the residents there want him - and especially the dying man - to stay. Turns out the villagers are fearful of the depredations of the vicious Cranley gang, not realizing that Colt has come to help put a stop to Cranley's reign of terror. With Lisa Montell, Robert Anderson and Myron Healy (billed as "Michael Healy").

1.8 "Last Chance"
While on vacation, hoping to go fishing with an old buddy, Sheriff Ben Mason (Stacy Keach, Sr.), Chris encounters a woman (Tina Carver) who claims to have witnessed a murder at her husband's mine. The sheriff thinks he's got a clear-cut case to finally send an old enemy (Willard Sage) to the gallows, but a skeptical Colt uses his expertise with weapons and ballistics to prove the man innocent...and someone else, guilty. Also with Kent Taylor.

1.9 "Young Gun"
Young Jimmy Benedict (Peter Brown) buys a gun from Chris, ostensibly as a birthday present for his father. Later, a dismayed Colt learns that the boy is only 16, and out for retribution against fast-gun outlaw Danny Gordon (Charles Bronson), who shot and killed Jimmy's father during a post office robbery. Colt follows the kid to try and keep him alive. Bronson is good as a killer who surprisingly shows a brief spark of mercy toward the kid, before Colt steps in to put him down like the dog he is. Also with Lurene Tuttle, Jaclynne Greene and James Anderson. (Murvyn Vye receives screen credit but doesn't actually appear in the episode.)

1.10 "Rebellion"
Colt heads down to New Mexico to investigate a secessionist plot by disgruntled members of the Confederacy. His only clue: a peso with a mysterious symbol on it. Mary Beth Hughes plays a saloon madam who is in on the plot to turn the territory into its own fiefdom, and tries to keep Colt from getting too close to the truth. Also with Robert Warwick, Fran Bennett and Leslie Bradley.

1.11 "The Gypsies"
Colt arrives in a town to find his old friend, Marshal Terry Wilson (Steve Darrell), living like a hermit, broken-hearted after his daughter (Lyn Thomas) ran off and married the leader (Paul Picerni) of a Gypsy band. Don Megowan plays a pig-mean former gunslinger turned deputy, who has taken over the town while the Marshal sits idly by, until Chris is finally able to rouse him back to duty by reuniting him with his daughter. Of course, slimeball Megowan is no match for Chris, who, as the theme song says, is "a lightning bolt / when he drew that Colt / .45!" (This is the first episode with the show's signature theme tune during the closing credits).

1.12 "Sign in the Sand"
Colt takes it personally when he inadvertantly relays a secret message about an army shipment carrying $100,000 to an imposter (Lydon) who tortured and murdered his true contact. The imposter and two cronies coldly gun down the Army guards and take the money. Indian pictograms left by the dead man lead Chris to the town of Snake River, where he delivers deadly justice to the killers. Fans of the Henry Aldrich series of B-movies might taken aback to see star Lydon playing a scumbag. Kenneth MacDonald gets a larger chunk of screentime than usual as Col. Parker.

colt 1.jpg

I heartily enjoyed all of these episodes, which feature plenty of action and intrigue, solid guest casts, and nicely-varied storylines, many of them taking some surprising plot turns. And, as previously mentioned, the transfers on WAC's Blu-Ray set look - and sound - wonderfully crisp and clear. Highly recommended to western fans.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This year, March 31st may be Easter Sunday (Happy Easter!) but it is also the 56th anniversary of the airing of the final first run episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. March 31, 1968 was the airdate of “No Way Back.”

So to mark the occasion, I tweaked and updated a blog post I wrote some time ago, sweetened with videos and screengrabs.
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
“No Way Back”

Season 4
Episode 26

Written by: William Welch
Directed by: Robert Sparr

Guest Cast:
Henry Jones: Mr. Pem
Barry Atwater: Maj. Gen. Benedict Arnold
William Beckley: Major John Andre​

Voyage ends on a more reserved note than one might expect. Rumors of the show's cancellation were in the trades. Irwin Allen's next series, Land of the Giants, already had its first half season episodes in the can. Originally intended as a mid-season replacement in January, the network decided to hold it back until the start of the 1968-69 season. While waiting for the ratings to tell the final story, the feeling of the coming end was in the air. By the back end of the fourth season, there was little hope for a return to the higher level of writing and direction of the glory days. Indeed, some of the series' worst episodes could be found here. However, at the very end, much like 2024 Super Bowl, there was a sudden change in the last seconds. Fans who had hung in long enough were rewarded with two higher quality outings and this strong finale. "No Way Back" (a more apt title could not have been chosen) is a winner.

Henry Jones returns to the role of Mr. Pem and is no less a mystery than before as he comes with no backstory, motivation, or even real character. His attraction is brought solely by Jones himself. However, the actor is so good, one enjoys his contributions as simple entertainment, which is what the series always strived to be. His chemistry with Richard Basehart is still excellent and his death at the climax is something of a shame because the character isn't unlikeable. Had the series been given a fifth season, no doubt some excuse would have been given for his return.

20240330-215411.JPG

Pem's plan is muddled, but, as usual, it is glossed over by writer William Welch in the closing seconds (see episodes like "The Mummy" for a sterling example of this). Nelson can vaguely discern the plan and give it to us rapidly, with only his natural air of authority selling it. Somehow, it seems, bringing Seaview to a specific point in the American Revolution, and with the help of Major General Benedict Arnold, and British Major John Andre, would win the war and eventually make Pem the most powerful man of the twentieth century. Why he needs the two officers is never explained, but it gives Welch an excuse to indulge his knowledge of American history.

20240330-215436.JPG
20240330-215458.JPG

Judging by the TV of the era, audiences were fascinated by early American history and Benedict Arnold was mentioned and portrayed (along with Abraham Lincoln) quite often. However, Arnold was always simply known as "the worst traitor in the nation's history." This does the man a disservice and Barry Atwater depicts him as a monster and a bully. It was forgotten that, before his betrayal, he contributed greatly to the cause of the revolution. However, Nelson is a patriot and his reactions are quite in character.

20240330-215452.JPG

Major Andre is treated somewhat better (apparently because he is not a traitor), and he comes off as an innocent and likeable young man. Nelson and the men, Kowalski in particular, take a shine to him (however Andre fights as hard as any previous foe in the big missile room brawl). He was truly a man of great refinement and dignity and William Beckley makes his fate touching, considering how poorly drawn the characters are.

With all the talk of the revolution, and considering the ample wardrobe at Fox, the back lot, and the stock footage, it's something of a disappointment the story didn't involve a shore party and at least one action sequence with soldiers of the past. Money spent on effects as late as "Savage Jungle" would have been better spent here, giving the series finale a scope unseen since the second season. However, the episode is still a great deal of fun as we see every main and recurring series character have something to do. Paul Trinka has a brief bit after the opening credits one last time. It's sadly ironic that the two characters not on the Seaview when it exploded were the first two actors to pass away following the end of the series.

Seaview's destruction in the teaser is a bold and shocking move, one that was surprisingly never done before. This being the final episode, intentional or not, it works beautifully and sets the tone immediately. When Nelson receives the notice of Seaview’s end, Basehart brilliantly underplays his reaction. He was only just bantering with Pem when he was delivered the blow and before it could truly sink in, Pem was already at work conning his way into getting his new time device. He gambles that Nelson would be so caught off guard that he would buy almost anything Pem was selling to get his ship and crew back, and he plays Nelson perfectly. However, Nelson's no dummy and once back on the Seaview, he keeps the man on a short leash. Unfortunately, Pem is still a step or two ahead. At this point we see a demonstration of Voyage's penchant for "magical science" as Pem takes his stopwatch and dips it in a vat of bubbling chemicals. Considering the absurdly simple nature of a pocket watch (and it being an "energy booster"), one would assume it works on brain waves. A person picks a place in time in his mind, clicks the button and the device brings the subject there. This would explain how both Pem and later Nelson are able to move in time and space simply by clicking one button on a watch. However, I’m sure I’m giving it more thought than William Welch did.

20240330-215428.JPG

There are some fun in the reactions to Nelson's unexplained appearance on the sub well after they had left port, but some of them are frankly overdone. After 109 over the top, insane adventures, it seems unbelievable that this is enough to freeze people in their tracks, dumbfounded. The reactions to General Arnold and his men are much more realistic; Baseart's near eye rolling expression at meeting Arnold is telling, as is David Hedison's frustrated groan when his way is blocked by "one of those characters." They betray a kind of weariness which shows that four years of this sort of insanity was quite enough.
The Irwin Allen Universe was never consistent or even logical in its depiction of time travel (or anything else). Still, Pem gets a wonderful line of dialog that skewers many time hopping stories and series, such as Irwin's own The Time Tunnel, where characters routinely stressed that history could never be changed.

Captain Crane: "No, uh-uh. It won't work. If we try to find the explosion, future history will be changed. It just isn't possible."

Mr. Pem: "I don't understand why everyone doggedly insists it's not possible. Young man, of course history can be changed, simply by changing the past."

20240330-215424.JPG

That'll learn ya!

All this boils down to a fun romp through time, culminating in the ship being rocked and rolled, a fist fight or two, and Nelson beating the clock by seconds, saving the ship and crew one last time. The episode, and the series, concludes on a calm and wistful note as Nelson and Crane discuss the events they just experienced. The final fade out over the time device and some very nice, atypical music, is a bittersweet end to a series that, while often quite silly, gave me and many people great joy.

I'm ready for the guest star circuit. How about you?

I wasn't there for the first run of the series, but Voyage is a major reason why I love 60's TV. Television was more fun, providing light, escapist fare in response to the social upheaval occurring outside our homes. My fondest memories are tied into childhood TV watching, when these shows were being rerun endlessly during the day. Ironically, however, I didn't discover Voyage until 1992. I was 25 and the Sci-Fi Channel was premiering. They ran Voyage six days a week then and I finally had a chance to see it. I was instantly hooked and I've been in love with the series ever since. I know that I would have been crushed over the cancellation if I was a kid during the first run and I still feel a little sadness as I watch the show in context of the time (as I watch everything). While I learned later that there was one more episode to be filmed, "No Way Back" feels and plays like a 1960's television series finale - even if it is all in the subtext. This final image, knowing time was up for the series, is both appropriate and bittersweet.

Time's up for Voyage

By 1968, relevant television was starting to seep in and violence was coming out thanks to viewer protests and focus groups. There were still a couple of years left for my kind of programming, but the end was in sight. Still, for 110 episodes of fun and excitement, I must thank Richard Basehart, David Hedison and, of course, Irwin Allen. It was a great run.

Here are those final minutes of the longest running science fiction series with continuing characters of the 1960's.

If you like the series at all and are around at 7PM EST, feel free to watch it "with me."

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
By 1968, relevant television was starting to seep in and violence was coming out thanks to viewer protests and focus groups. There were still a couple of years left for my kind of programming, but the end was in sight. Still, for 110 episodes of fun and excitement, I must thank Richard Basehart, David Hedison and, of course, Irwin Allen. It was a great run.

Yes, great stuff on VTTBOTS last episode, Scott! I was 8 years old in the fall of 1964, and had been watching the promos and ads all of that preceding summer, eager for it's premiere and hoping that (here in Canada) they wouldn't program it opposite Hockey Night in Canada, MLB or CFL/NFL football...where in a one tube household, I'd never get to see 'Voyage', ha, ha...but thankfully I was able to watch all four seasons first-run...and build all the Aurora Voyage plastic model kits too, the Seaview and Flying Sub!

Love Robert's Mad Magazine customization for Scott...Mort Drucker and Dick DeBartolo's parody of VTTBOTS was in the March 1966 issue, which I got my filthy paws on not soon after and loved! They titled it: "Voyage to see what's on the Bottom", ha, ha!

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

By 1968, relevant television was starting to seep in and violence was coming out thanks to viewer protests and focus groups. There were still a couple of years left for my kind of programming, but the end was in sight. Still, for 110 episodes of fun and excitement, I must thank Richard Basehart, David Hedison and, of course, Irwin Allen. It was a great run.​

Thanks for the detailed overview. It's interesting that you peg 1968 as the end of the type of programming you enjoy, because for me it marks the start of a golden age of TV dramas. And by golden age, I mean various things, but most especially shooting on location, which I feel really enhances the reality/character of any show (sci-fi excepted) and provides a tantalizing window onto a past era.

There was a handful of location-heavy shows earlier on (Naked City and Route 66 for example), but it appears to me the debut of Hawaii Five-O in '68 made it common to very regularly shoot scenes on location. This era would gradually come to an end around 1985-87, when many shows starting cutting back on pricey U.S. location shoots in favor of the studio and/or lower cost overseas locations like Canada and Australia. Perhaps the economics of expensive dramas were disrupted by the surging popularity of home video and cable, and/or the huge ratings successes of lower cost sitcoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks