What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What DVD Did You Watch Last? (3 Viewers)

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Here's another movie that I had never seen before - but own on DVD. And yet disc that wasn't even opened. Still complete with the top, bottom, and side anti-theft stickers. No less of a pain to remove 20+ years later . . .

Watched this last weekend.

1705439935626.jpeg

Funny observation about this disc was its Photo Gallery that contained a WHOPPING TWO IMAGES. Obviously no expense was spared making this gallery.

And I probably knew this, but my memory isn't as sharp as it once was, but I forgot that Jean Reno's The Cleaner made an appearance here. (A distant cousin or whatever.)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

YANG

Screenwriter
break out! break out! break out!
break out through rioting,
break out through analysis,
break out through the jailbird...
5cb6a3a717a5ec3df362ea364d667abb7a0ca583_2_1035x483.jpeg

IMG_20240117_151019529~2.jpg

...just for a break!​

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
break out! break out! break out!
break out through rioting,
break out through analysis,
break out through the jailbird...
5cb6a3a717a5ec3df362ea364d667abb7a0ca583_2_1035x483.jpeg

View attachment 210272
...just for a break!​
I have that DVD of The Last Castle; such an underrated flick. I saw it in theaters.

I also used to have that DVD of Con Air, but I replaced it with the Blu-ray because it was non-anamorphic -- HUGE upgrade.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Patiently awaiting the long overdue Ultra HD 4K release so I can finally retire this travesty of a disc.....

81BxrVHE-SL._SX342_.jpg
04891bd196497b2a08d093a05e5cd0d3
s-l1600.jpg

tumblr_p0c8b1GuSj1u4mt3bo1_500.gif

e713d35489dc4c9d67d00ed9f3d5974c6de6755c.gif

YANG

Screenwriter
less than 2wks to Chinese Lunar New Year, the movie corner @ home shouldn't just be polluted with noise of whams and bangs.
6086089995d49f9b0bab9d7a577fd67d0c32f8cb_2_1035x471.jpeg

IMG_20240128_161412984~2.jpg

lets start with comedic fights!
with fighting to get back to wife and 7 daughters,
with fighting against odds in a society of Hollywood fiction and conspiracy,
and fighting against the temptation of single jug woman!​

YANG

Screenwriter
as the weather turns low on temperature, respiratory symptoms occurs and one will easily have cough and phlegm.
cdb82717e2cfe3d48668239ad242177ef9b04928.jpeg

IMG_20240128_161231437~2.jpg

lets call out for Rudd to “Rubb” out the stuffiness off ur chest, get some laughter clear off the phlegm!​

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
as the weather turns low on temperature, respiratory symptoms occurs and one will easily have cough and phlegm.
cdb82717e2cfe3d48668239ad242177ef9b04928.jpeg

View attachment 211208
lets call out for Rudd to “Rubb” out the stuffiness off ur chest, get some laughter clear off the phlegm!​
I have Forgetting Sarah Marshall and 40 Year Old Virgin on DVD, as well -- they just don't make comedies like this anymore (alongside other great ones from this era like Knocked Up, Couples Retreat and Sisters).

YANG

Screenwriter
I have Forgetting Sarah Marshall and 40 Year Old Virgin on DVD, as well -- they just don't make comedies like this anymore (alongside other great ones from this era like Knocked Up, Couples Retreat and Sisters).
i have both Knocked Up and Couples' Retreat as well... it's just that the former, seems to have playing difficulties due to possible disc bonding issues. yeah, numbers of my DVD on appearance do not have disturbing "rot marks" but when looked closely, it seems that there's a void under the disc layer as if the glue had lost it's strength over years of storage.

on the subject of comedies, we went thru different stage of "star power" that guarantees we'll have the best laugh. beginning from the solos of Tom Hanks, Jim Carrey and Pauley Shore, to the tag team of Rob Schnieder and Adam Sandler, then to the 4 musketeers, form by Vince Vaughn, Steve Carell, Will Farrell and Ben Stiller. as much as i love Jack Black, he's pretty much powerless without a great team behind him.
"star power" is not enough. a strong comedy writing and directing team is needed to "enhance" the strength of the "star power". Pauley Shore movies were remembered in kind of "exaggerating" on "clueless stupidity". Jim Carrey's tuned a little on track of "sensibility" but "zoom in" on how misbehavior can be disastrous if no control is enforced. after Jim Carrey... the rest will be very much dependent on the material given by the production team. the Farrelly brothers proved that they can work with different stars, with different "genres" of comedy, and the less forgotten individuals in the able society to prove their worth. Farelly brothers kind of set the benchmark(in my sense) for others to beat, not too reliant on one particular star, not too reliant on one subject such as rom-com, and not too reliant on big names, but bring out the importance of other small characters.

yeah... they don't make comedies like those not so complicated and less expensive anymore. in recent theatrical releases, it seems that there's a slew of comedies coming out that blends with little flavors of "un-expected and violent identities", the "comedian" have to play a double role of "John Wick" who can not only fight, but also deliver laughters. look closely, NOBODY, Violent Night, FREELANCE, upcoming ARGYLLE, and FAMILY PLAN shares such... similarity...

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
i have both Knocked Up and Couples' Retreat as well... it's just that the former, seems to have playing difficulties due to possible disc bonding issues. yeah, numbers of my DVD on appearance do not have disturbing "rot marks" but when looked closely, it seems that there's a void under the disc layer as if the glue had lost it's strength over years of storage.

on the subject of comedies, we went thru different stage of "star power" that guarantees we'll have the best laugh. beginning from the solos of Tom Hanks, Jim Carrey and Pauley Shore, to the tag team of Rob Schnieder and Adam Sandler, then to the 4 musketeers, form by Vince Vaughn, Steve Carell, Will Farrell and Ben Stiller. as much as i love Jack Black, he's pretty much powerless without a great team behind him.
"star power" is not enough. a strong comedy writing and directing team is needed to "enhance" the strength of the "star power". Pauley Shore movies were remembered in kind of "exaggerating" on "clueless stupidity". Jim Carrey's tuned a little on track of "sensibility" but "zoom in" on how misbehavior can be disastrous if no control is enforced. after Jim Carrey... the rest will be very much dependent on the material given by the production team. the Farrelly brothers proved that they can work with different stars, with different "genres" of comedy, and the less forgotten individuals in the able society to prove their worth. Farelly brothers kind of set the benchmark(in my sense) for others to beat, not too reliant on one particular star, not too reliant on one subject such as rom-com, and not too reliant on big names, but bring out the importance of other small characters.

yeah... they don't make comedies like those not so complicated and less expensive anymore. in recent theatrical releases, it seems that there's a slew of comedies coming out that blends with little flavors of "un-expected and violent identities", the "comedian" have to play a double role of "John Wick" who can not only fight, but also deliver laughters. look closely, NOBODY, Violent Night, FREELANCE, upcoming ARGYLLE, and FAMILY PLAN shares such... similarity...
I have Couple's Retreat and Sisters on Blu-ray...

I've always said that comedies are like sports cars in the automotive marketplace -- they have a short shelf life. However, I've been reconsidering that perspective as of late, being that many films from just a few years ago still make us crack up when we watch them.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
PART ONE - First time viewing since getting my Panasonic player back from repair; looked about the same as it did through the Cambridge I was using in the inerim

s-l1600.webp
s-l500.webp
s-l500.webp
s-l500.webp
s-l500.webp

YANG

Screenwriter
a day for party!
5d956ae105b60f615679424fbdf3a2866ef6450a_2_1035x480.jpeg

IMG_20240203_161959228~2.jpg

party with the old ladies,
party with fellow schoolmates,
party with... Burgers!​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks