What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What is your favorite television era? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If you had to pick just ONE, what would it be and why?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tough call!

On one hand, I'll always be nostalgic for stuff I saw growing up and in college (I was born in '83). And I love the serialized aspect of more modern shows - I think that's what television is best at, using the opportunity of being in our homes every week to tell a longer story. (I tend to avoid most shows where each episode is a self-contained mini-movie; I can just watch a movie if that's what I'm in the mood for.)

But there's something about the early days of television I really love - late 50s to mid 60s. The Twilight Zone, The Honeymooners and Star Trek are all among my very favorite shows. In recent years, I've seen and fallen in love with I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and even Mickey Mouse Club serials like The Hardy Boys and Adventures of Spin and Marty. They might be less "dangerous" than newer shows - nobody is going to die a gruesome death on camera. And they do whitewash the past to a certain extent, and I'm aware of that and I understand that might make them difficult to watch under certain circumstances. But I think they're wonderfully written, and the original sitcoms are more entertaining to me than the modern ones, when all of the gags were fresh and not yet cliches. Seeing Lucy do a gag that I've seen in a modern sitcom three hundred times is somehow funnier to me. It's also great to hear a real studio audience and not just canned laughter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On one hand, I'll always be nostalgic for stuff I saw growing up and in college,,,
Nostalgia is why I'd say the 1990's if I had to pick one specific decade. The Simpsons, Twin Peaks, The X-Files and The Larry Sanders Show are all great shows but they're always going to hold an even fonder place in my heart because I was a teenager when I was watching them. I didn't watch Seinfeld when it was first on but having caught it in syndication, it's all time favorite for me now so that's one more show in favor of the 90's.

If you remove nostalgia from the equation, I'd probably say that the 2000's (the aughts) or the 1960's are the best era.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's also great to hear a real studio audience and not just canned laughter.

FWIW, I think the canned laughter we hear today is recordings of those actual studio audiences from 50 years ago. So we're hearing the same people. (Creepy thought: most of them are no longer around. . .)

I've been watching TV for 40+ years, and have watched many earlier programs in syndication (the original Star Trek is still my all-time favorite show), but it's hard for me to put any period ahead of the current day. The quality and variety of programming available today is just mind-blowing compared to anything I can remember.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
60s. The comedy shows in particular are still very funny to watch today and very imaginative (and of course, Trek, Zone... great writing). While I enjoy the well produced shows of today, there are just way too many commercials to the point of annoyance. The only way I can endure it is via DVR.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
'50s - Not born, but a nice "Leave it to Beaver", everything is wonderful vibe.
'60s - Just barely born, "I Dream of Jeannie", "Bewitched", "My Favorite Martian", "Star Trek TOS", but I was very young, think I didn't get into them until syndication later.
'70s - Other than "Charlie's Angels", completely forgettable, even though I grew up on the Brady's.
'80s - "The Love Boat", "Dynasty", "Fantasy Island", need I say more :eek:
'90s - Getting better, "Seinfeld", "Roseanne" (okay, late '80s)
'00s - Really improving
'10s - My favorite. Smart, witty scripts, a lot of junk, but a lot of real gems starting to appear

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
For me, it would be 1964-1969. A lot of my favourite shows first aired during this period. They include Voyage to the Bottom of the sea, Jonny Quest, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space, I Dream of Jeannie, Batman, Dark shadows, Star Trek, Time Tunnel, Monkees, Mission: Impossible, Spider-man (animated), Adam-12, HR Pufnstuf, Benny Hill and Scooby Doo among others. That doesn't include shows that premiered before 64 that were still on the air.

Though I only first watched these years later in syndication, it still remains my favourite era. There's a lot of good stuff that came before and after but I didn't connect to them as much as these, nostalgia is a part of it. I still enjoy these about as much as I did growing up, I'm thankful that we can watch these on DVD/Blu.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
For me, it would be 1964-1969. A lot of my favourite shows first aired during this period. They include Voyage to the Bottom of the sea, Jonny Quest, The Munsters, Gilligan's Island, Lost in Space, I Dream of Jeannie, Batman, Dark shadows, Star Trek, Time Tunnel, Monkees, Mission: Impossible, Spider-man (animated), Adam-12, HR Pufnstuf, Benny Hill and Scooby Doo among others. That doesn't include shows that premiered before 64 that were still on the air.

Though I only first watched these years later in syndication, it still remains my favourite era. There's a lot of good stuff that came before and after but I didn't connect to them as much as these, nostalgia is a part of it. I still enjoy these about as much as I did growing up, I'm thankful that we can watch these on DVD/Blu.

I loved those shows. Maybe I should backup and make the '60s my favs. I grew up with all of them. Very dated when viewing now, but still pretty decent (except Batman, even as a kid, Cheeseville USA, I couldn't stand it, Lost in Space a close second) :laugh: I was a critic at eight years old.

I think I saw most of them later in syndication, but I guess at that age, things "imprint" on you. Loved "Jonny Quest", haven't seen that show in 30+ years. I'll have to do some digging.

Never saw Benny Hill until the '90s, just not something offered in our area and internet, streaming, etc. hadn't really been born yet.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
except Batman, even as a kid, Cheeseville USA, I couldn't stand it

Holy cheese dip, Batman! I didn't understand what they were going for when I was a kid. I had mixed feelings about the show. Now that I'm older, I love it! It's a very funny and clever show. :) I understand if others don't like it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I guess it would be the 60's because of all the shows I watched growing up.
Syndicated: Sugarfoot, Rifleman, Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, Dick van Dyke, Perry Mason, Cheyenne, Adventures of Superman, Secret Agent Man
Network: Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Mr. Ed, Lassie, Star Trek, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Batman, Gomer Pyle, Gilligan's Island, Dark Shadows, Big Valley, The Invaders, Bewitched, Family Affair, My Three Sons, Wild Wild West, Mission:Impossible, Mannix, Lost in Space, Jonny Quest, Gunsmoke
Fond memories of all of these. Still enjoy most of these today.

I guess the next era would be the 80's due to Must See Thursday's: Hill Street Blues, LA Law, St. Elsewhere, Dallas, Miami Vice. This era redefined what types of stories could be told and what the audience would follow.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Holy cheese dip, Batman! I didn't understand what they were going for when I was a kid. I had mixed feelings about the show. Now that I'm older, I love it! It's a very funny and clever show. :) I understand if others don't like it.

I wish you the best. I just can't do it, it's to painful. My gag reflex is barely controllable. :laugh:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Don't forget The Addams Family. If you opened that window a wee bit I would also toss in the Beverly Hillbilllies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Hands down the 1980's. Not only was there a ton of diversity in programming in the big 3 stations ABC, CBS, and NBC, but the 'lesser' UHF channels were not adverse to flooding their mid to late afternoon and weekend programming with all sorts of classic TV and movie product. In the 80s it was not only possible to be entertained by the likes of Johnny Carson, The Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote, Dallas, Knight Rider, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, L.A. Law, Falcon Crest, Lavern and Shirley, Donohue, Dynasty and Dynasty II: The Colbys, but one could also tune in to watch reruns of Mary Tyler Moore, The Three Stooges, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Looney Tunes (unedited, I might add!) I Love Lucy, Perry Mason, Lost in Space, Blondie and Dagwood, Abbott and Costello, the Saturday 'creature feature' (a ton of good stuff there, including, The Birds, The Fly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Blob, etc.) but there was also Bill Kennedy at the Movies, where you could see the likes of Grand Hotel, North By Northwest, The Big Country, The Greatest Show on Earth, etc. and on and on). Then, after the nightly news and 'Nightline' and Carson you had reruns of The Twilight Zone, followed by reruns of Night Gallery.

I was a teenage TV junkie in the 80s. It was a marvelous time to saturate yourself in all that was good, fun and whack-tac-u-lar in the present and past pop culture. Miss those time severely and would have them again in a heartbeat today!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just to remind everyone :
THE 1950's :
Gunsmoke
I love Lucy ,
The Honeymooners,
Leave It to Beaver ,
Ed Sullivan ,
Sgt Bilko,
I've Got A Secret/ What's My Line
Lassie
Walt Disney
Wanted Dead Or Alive ,
Dragnet
Alfred Hitchcock,
Wagon Train ,
Zorro,
Adventures Of Superman,
Burns And Allen,
Jack Benny
Have Gun Will Travel,
American Bandstand,
Howdy Doody,
Lone Ranger,
Perry Mason,
Etc Etc Etc !
And don't forget that many popular shows like Bonanza ,
Twilight Zone , Andy Griffith, Dobie Gillis , Candid Camera , Donna Reed , My Three Sons etc . started their runs during the late fifties .

Last edited:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Don't forget The Addams Family. If you opened that window a wee bit I would also toss in the Beverly Hillbilllies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction

I like the Addams Family but don't love it. I'm a Munsters guy!

I could also add Andy Griffith, Get Smart, The Fugitive, Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched, My Three Sons, Flipper and a whole lot more!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The 60s, my teen years (UK) & a lot of fun things on the telly (& a lot of the latter fifties American series we got in the sixties in the UK) , then the 70's, some great stuff & all those mini-series. I suppose the best decade would be now, so many fantastic series coming out of America.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks