What's new
World Wide Stereo

What Order To Turn On These Components? (1 Viewer)

BClarkeVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Clarke
This probably has to do with HDMI handshakes - I regularly cannot get an image on my screen when turning on the following components. The system will always play audio from the Oppo, but "No Signal" shows on the video processor display. I've taken turns in what order I turn components on, and occasionally (maybe 1 out of 20 tries) this order works:

1) Oppo BDP-95
2) Faroudja by Meridian DVP 1080MF
3) Onkyo TX NR-3008

Sometimes I just turn the Onkyo on and off (waiting 1 minute between) multiple times and system "catches". All connections are HDMI 2.0.

Is there a standard order I should be turning components on so they synch up properly and I get an image through from the Oppo to the projector attached to the Faroudja image processor?

Bob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You didn't list the model number of the companion video processor but clearly that's where the problem lies. If you remove it from the chain and connect the Oppo directly to the projector things should work fine. The video processor appears to use a DVI-HDMI converter to pass along it's signals which may be introducing EDID issues and the processor shouldn't be needed for native 1080P signals anyway.

Alternatively, something like this might allow you to continue using the setup as is.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a recommended order to turn different components on, regardless of brand and model. I use a universal remote to turn things on and change inputs. Not exactly sure in what order the remote is turning things on and from time to time, I get no pic. Turning TV off and on fixes it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There is no specific order, unless you’re using separates. If that’s the case then source components and pre-amplifier should turn on first, then power amplifiers after a delay of 10 seconds or so. On power-down, the reverse: amplifiers first, then after 30 seconds or so (to give the capacitors time to discharge), then everything else.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Is there a recommended order to turn different components on, regardless of brand and model. I use a universal remote to turn things on and change inputs. Not exactly sure in what order the remote is turning things on and from time to time, I get no pic. Turning TV off and on fixes it.
From an audio perspective I agree with Wayne. For video things can get a little tricky with HDMI handshaking. In order for this process to work properly both the sending [output] and receiving [input] devices need to "see" each other in the signal path. If one of the devices has a delayed startup process then the other may timeout before it sees it online. In short, whichever device has the longest startup time [probably your AVR] should be switched on first. You should also check for a "HDMI pass-through" function, which allows video to be passed through the AVR even when main power is off.

BClarkeVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Clarke
You didn't list the model number of the companion video processor but clearly that's where the problem lies. If you remove it from the chain and connect the Oppo directly to the projector things should work fine. The video processor appears to use a DVI-HDMI converter to pass along it's signals which may be introducing EDID issues and the processor shouldn't be needed for native 1080P signals anyway.

Alternatively, something like this might allow you to continue using the setup as is.
Thanks for reply, John. Actually I did list the video processor (

Faroudja by Meridian DVP 1080MF

Thanks for your reply, John. Actually I did list the video processor (Faroudja by Meridian DVP 1080MF) and the projector is D-ILA 1080MF1 (aka JVC HD10). I want to keep the Onkyo in the path as there are other sources I use for video and audio and i want the Onkyo to do the switching vs. me having to move cables around. The sources will all work through Onkyo to get to Faroudja processor/JVC projector when I hit exactly the right turn on order and wait time between turnons. So I'm hoping additional responses will come in pointing me in that direction. Again, thanks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sorry. I didn't catch the model for the processor but the EDID emulator I linked is probably still something you should consider. It can store and pass on the HDMI EDID information from one device [in your case the Onkyo I think] to another [your video processor]. Somewhere in the chain this is being lost, which is why you're having the problem.

BClarkeVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Clarke
Thanks for your suggestion, John - the EDID emulator (I've never heard of this :) ) looked like a good idea and price was right so I just ordered one. I'll add another post when I get it in a week to confirm if it solved my problem. This seems to be a regular problem (bad HDMI handshake) so this type of solution should get more visibility.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for your suggestion, John - the EDID emulator (I've never heard of this :) ) looked like a good idea and price was right so I just ordered one. I'll add another post when I get it in a week to confirm if it solved my problem. This seems to be a regular problem (bad HDMI handshake) so this type of solution should get more visibility.
Sure thing. Pretty sure that will resolve the issue but you may have to experiment with where you place it in the signal path.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Posted in wrong thread. DELETED

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Posted in wrong thread. DELETED

Last edited:

jimmyD74

Auditioning
Real Name
James Debary
I am having around the same issue. The only time I get any black screen is during recorded stuff on my DVR. Works perfect at other times. (Can not figure how its a handshake issue if works normal from the DVR except only recorded shows). I was also told by Denon support about getting an emulator. Sure hated to not ever have any issue with my 10yr old Onkyo and finally buy a Denon to have this issue. Please update when you can so I can decide to get one or not. The black screen gets irritating. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks