What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
BFI's Blu Ray edition of Pasolini's Theorem
1000030862.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched yet again my favorite James Bond film. A cousin wanted to see From Russia With Love via a projector and I was more than happy to oblige.

Today, more down to earth, I'm going to watch War Drums, a little known Western.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It was a two-for of Chaplin classics The Kid and City Lights...got the Criterion BD and finally got to sit down and enjoy these in HD!! Wonderful films!

Attachments

• s-l960.jpg
    s-l960.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 11
  • 51jZu5gR8GL.jpg
    51jZu5gR8GL.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 6

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Fox's 14 Hours last night. Hadn't seen it in ages, and I was reminded how strong the performances were especially by Paul Douglas, Richard Basehart, and Barbara Bel Geddes. I didn't even remember Grace Kelly was in it, but there she was along with stalwarts like Agnes Moorehead, Robert Keith, and Howard Da Silva. Wonderful suspense film.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Alias Jessie James (1957) and End of the World (1931) a real comedy/ tragedy double header.

Attachments

• 738329254261.jpg
    738329254261.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • hqdefault-1395496151.jpg
    hqdefault-1395496151.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 13

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Encanto
Originally Released: 11/24/2021
Watched: 04/29/2024
4K digital streaming on Disney+

Encanto (2021) Poster

Attended a concert today where the band played an instrumental version of "We Don't Talk About Bruno", which inspired me to finally seek this one out.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? It's a colorful, exuberant celebration of family in all of its challenges and complexities. And Stephanie Beatriz gets to play a completely different type of character as our young heroine, Mirabel.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Fox's 14 Hours last night. Hadn't seen it in ages, and I was reminded how strong the performances were especially by Paul Douglas, Richard Basehart, and Barbara Bel Geddes. I didn't even remember Grace Kelly was in it, but there she was along with stalwarts like Agnes Moorehead, Robert Keith, and Howard Da Silva. Wonderful suspense film.
Co-incidentally, I watched another 20th Century Fox film starring Paul Douglas and Barbara Bel Geddes last night, Panic In The Streets. A very good movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Co-incidentally, I watched another 20th Century Fox film starring Paul Douglas and Barbara Bel Geddes last night, Panic In The Streets. A very good movie.
I need to revisit that movie because it’s been years since the last time I watched it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Fall Guy
Originally Released: 05/03/2024
Watched: 05/04/2024
In theaters: 4:20 PM matinee on Screen 4 at Scene One Spectrum 8 Theatres

The Fall Guy (2024) Poster

Glen A. Larson's action-adventure series from the early eighties is very, very loosely adapted into this star vehicle for Ryan Gosling.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Gosling's character makes for a likeable and endearing protagonist, there's a decent amount of humor that works decently enough, and the imaginative and well-executed action sequences come fast and furious.

Stick around for the mid-credits sequence: It features fun cameos from original series stars Lee Majors and Heather Thomas.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tonight:

91BOqHk+fzL._SL1500_.jpg
I distinctly remember a night when I was young when a cable network (probably AMC or TCM?) was showing all of the Planet of the Apes films back-to-back. It had to have been before DVRs because I stayed up all night watching them in a row. It was the first time I was conscious of staying up way past my bedtime, but I had to do it because I couldn't record them all on a single tape and I didn't want to miss any of them. I remember thinking they were great. Maybe they hey were, or maybe I was just pumped to be staying up later than I should have.

For some reason, I only ever bought the original film on DVD. But when it came time to upgrade to Blu-ray, I went for the 5-pack. I've had the box set for years but I don't remember exactly when the last time was that I watched all the way through the whole series with all of the sequels. I know the modern reboot is a different continuity, but I decided to go through the original series again prior to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes anyway. I plan to watch all five of the originals and then Rise/Dawn/War which I own separately. (I have seen the Burton version once but have no interest in ever revisiting it.) Because I own them now, I don't have to pull an all-nighter on the series again. But tonight I watched Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes back-to-back.

The original is still incredible. If there are any significant flaws in it, I didn't think of them tonight. I can only imagine how mind-blowing it must have been for audiences who saw this in 1968. Even though you can only be surprised by the ending once, there is so much to chew on with the film that it only gets more interesting with reexamination. Obviously the effects work is primitive by modern standards, but I was never less than sucked in by what I was seeing. I bought every second of it. The performances are great, the writing is great, the effects are great. There is so much rich material in this movie that it outclasses many modern blockbuster films with more advanced tech but less story.

But, to my surprise, Beneath did not hold up well at all. I found it to be utterly unsatisfying either as a follow-up to the original or as an individual picture. I remember being very surprised at how it ended the first time I saw it on TV because I knew there were three more movies to go in the marathon, which required me to continue staying up, and I thought ending it the way they did was bold. Now, I just found the whole thing to be deflated. There's more action in this one, but the story was just limp. I didn't find the way in which the story was continued to be satisfying for pretty much any of the characters either returning or new. I don't know what they were thinking here, but it didn't work. What a buzzkill it is. I'm not sure why I liked this before, but I don't remember flip-flopping on a film to this degree in quite some time. It would have been more satisfying to leave Taylor, etc. at the end of Planet of the Apes than to see what happens to them here.

I'll continue with Escape and move forward in the next few days. But being disappointed in Beneath provided a reasonable break point to come post this and then go to sleep.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks