What's new

What's On Your Mind? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My father has just passed on, apparently peacefully, at 84-- very definitely gonna miss him.
I. lost mine when he was 94, it is a true blessing being able to have your folks there and the opprtunity to share that, Truly, condolinces to you and your family, remember the good and fun times that make you smile and the things that he said.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
People can be so gullible sometimes. To think that an $1,100 jacket will actually keep them warmer than a $60 one. Talking about those ridiculously expensive Canada Goose jackets that people wear more as status symbols. Every time I see someone wearing one all I can think of is "Oh, look at me, I'm rich. Haha" The moment the company was bought out you know the new owners were going to cut corners and use cheaper materials for those.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
People can be so gullible sometimes. To think that an $1,100 jacket will actually keep them warmer than a $60 one. Talking about those ridiculously expensive Canada Goose jackets that people wear more as status symbols. Every time I see someone wearing one all I can think of is "Oh, look at me, I'm rich. Haha" The moment the company was bought out you know the new owners were going to cut corners and use cheaper materials for those.
I would be ultra-worried about catching the outrageously expensive coat on a sharp corner, or something that could easily rip the outer shell of the coat (I’m always ripping up my clothes while working around the company tractor trailer- kind of unavoidable). I feel fine about not giving a shit about clothes- I buy the least expensive stuff.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
PT Barnum was right...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Our 20 year wedding anniversary is next Wednesday so last month, I booked a 3 day getaway back at the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs since we liked it when we went last fall. King room, jacuzzi at the foot of the bed, champagne, the works.

Fast forward to today. Our Havanese was laying on the back of our living room sofa looking out the windows in our dining room when he saw something that got him excited and he dove off onto a wet tile floor where my wife had just mopped and she heard a snap, thump, and scream. When he regained his footing, he was limping and wouldn’t put weight on his left hind leg. A trip to the vet revealed he tore his ACL. Our vet doesn’t do orthopedic surgery so I was referred to a vet near Ft. Smith who does. We have an appointment scheduled there Monday. It’s a 2-hour drive so we’ll be there that morning for consultation and he’ll get reconstructive surgery immediately after and we’ll drive home with him that evening. The clinic quoted me a cost around $3,400.

Long story short, we’ve already cancelled our reservation since we can’t leave him at home with my parents post-op and will be putting our anniversary get away funds towards his surgery. The things we do for our kids dogs. 😂

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Our 20 year wedding anniversary is next Wednesday so last month, I booked a 3 day getaway back at the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs since we liked it when we went last fall. King room, jacuzzi at the foot of the bed, champagne, the works.

Fast forward to today. Our Havanese was laying on the back of our living room sofa looking out the windows in our dining room when he saw something that got him excited and he dove off onto a wet tile floor where my wife had just mopped and she heard a snap, thump, and scream. When he regained his footing, he was limping and wouldn’t put weight on his left hind leg. A trip to the vet revealed he tore his ACL. Our vet doesn’t do orthopedic surgery so I was referred to a vet near Ft. Smith who does. We have an appointment scheduled there Monday. It’s a 2-hour drive so we’ll be there that morning for consultation and he’ll get reconstructive surgery immediately after and we’ll drive home with him that evening. The clinic quoted me a cost around $3,400.

Long story short, we’ve already cancelled our reservation since we can’t leave him at home with my parents post-op and will be putting our anniversary get away funds towards his surgery. The things we do for our kids dogs. 😂
Family is Family...I get it...Your a Mensch!!! Good job and you have a very understanding wife!!!
It's all family 2 legs or 4...there's always next year and make a nice meal and movie night this year, and help get your pooch back on tthe road to health and happiness!!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I would be ultra-worried about catching the outrageously expensive coat on a sharp corner, or something that could easily rip the outer shell of the coat (I’m always ripping up my clothes while working around the company tractor trailer- kind of unavoidable). I feel fine about not giving a shit about clothes- I buy the least expensive stuff.

Literally the same day I purchased and wore a sleek Sean John jacket, it got caught on a scaffolding bolt as I was walking down a Manhattan street and managed to tear a hole on it. Sixty bucks down the drain.

I stopped buying expensive clothes during my late 20's, and by expensive I mean $50 jeans and $40 sweatshirts. I currently own 3 pairs of Jeans, I only wear 2 of those most frequently with one pair being my go-to 90% of the time. As far as tops, I'm perfectly happy wearing my $10 Target tees everywhere I go. During Winter, who's going to look at me anyway if I'm buried under all that weather gear. It's not like some hot chick is going to grab me by my arm and declare she'd like to inspect what I'm wearing to see if my clothes match :)

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Update:

Chance’s surgery went well. He had torn not only the ACL in that knee but the meniscus as well and both had to be removed. The surgeon cut part of the leg bone to form it into a Y, installed a small metal piece inside the Y for support, then attached a plate to the outside of the bone to hold everything together. This put his knee back into its proper position. Recovery will be a long road but in the end, the surgeon said he should be as good as or even better than new. I couldn’t help but start referring to the little guy as Steve Austin on the car ride home. “We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster." 😂

Here he is, resting comfortably this morning with his mate, Chloe, and their adopted little girl, Izzy close by. IMG_0226.jpeg IMG_0227.jpeg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Got front rotors/brakes, and the battery replaced in my Jeep this morning. I bought it in 2019- had less than 11K miles on it. I never liked how it felt, especially when hitting the brakes. The new rotors did the trick- I immediately felt the difference. The battery alone cost $350. Unbelievable how expensive things are now.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Wow. I had to replace the battery in my wife’s RAV4 during her 85,000 mile service at our local Toyota dealership a couple of weeks ago and it was around $180 installed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still freak out about the price of car batteries. AAA charged me about $130 (IIRC) for a roadside battery replacement in my Honda CR-V a few months ago and I thought THAT was a lot.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I had to replace my Civic battery during routine maintenance last fall and it cost close to $200 if I remember correctly. Costly but better than being stranded somewhere out of state.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I had to replace my Civic battery during routine maintenance last fall and it cost close to $200 if I remember correctly. Costly but better than being stranded somewhere out of state.
I don’t know if I had to replace the battery, but did it because in my experience you can’t expect more than 6 years out of one, and I bet the old battery was the original one in my 2017 Grand Cherokee. I thought there were a couple of slow cranks this Winter too.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve gotten in the habit of replacing my batteries during routine maintenance whenever the dealership recommends it. I’ve learned the service departments at both the Toyota and Honda dealerships here are pretty trustworthy and don’t try to upsell you on things you don’t need. My Civic is a 2018 with almost 160,000 miles on it and this is the first time they’ve recommended a battery replacement because it was testing below (I think) 60%. My wife’s RAV4 is a 2015 with 86,000 miles and is just now on its 3rd battery.

When I was younger, I used to be that guy who scoffed at the service advisor and told them that their prices were too high and I’d take care of my own battery and wiper blades, thank you very much. Then I’d forget and end up not being able to see in a rain storm or, worse yet, having a car that won’t start in said rain storm. Finally, I reached a point in my life where spending an extra $30-$40 for the dealership to replace the battery or wiper blades during routine maintenance was more important than my manly pride of spending valuable time in Auto Zone trying to find the right battery and blades, and changing them myself to save a few bucks, and my life suddenly got a bit easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks