What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Thank you, Mr. Harris. It is incomprehensible how a film that continually reaches the top of the list of the best films of all time would be treated so shoddily. Thanks to your team, it will be saved for future generations as close as possible to the original.

Reactions: PMF
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Saw it last night on a big Dolby Cinema screen. Mr. Harris is right on point--there is not a huge difference in the previous restoration vs this new one. Very subtle difference in color and that awful b-roll footage of LA and Vegas now fits in better with the rest of the film, but at no time was I aware of a startling contrast between the amazing work they did in 2007 and now. The biggest treat, however, was seeing it again in a theater--that's the bonus with this 4K release.

white vader

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Thank you, Mr. Harris. It is incomprehensible how a film that continually reaches the top of the list of the best films of all time would be treated so shoddily. Thanks to your team, it will be saved for future generations as close as possible to the original.
Well if I recall correctly the suits treated it shoddily from the very conception. Arguing with Willis' approach because if it was that dark/chiaroscuro then the people at the drive-ins (LCD, quality-wise) wouldn't be able to see it...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well if I recall correctly the suits treated it shoddily from the very conception. Arguing with Willis' approach because if it was that dark/chiaroscuro then the people at the drive-ins (LCD, quality-wise) wouldn't be able to see it...
No problem. There were specific drive-in density prints.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So am I to assume the most improved transfer is going to be (of all things) Part III?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So am I to assume the most improved transfer is going to be (of all things) Part III?
One of the major attributes of the GF III upgrade is the new inclusuion (at least in CODA) of all of the original material previously seen as soft dupes in earlier versions.

In ‘07, we were able to replace only the most problematic Opticals, as we had neither time nor urgent to affect more. Mr. Mockoski has beautifully attended to this, an the results are spectaular, as the film was shot S35.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
One of the major attributes of the GF III upgrade is the new inclusuion (at least in CODA) of all of the original material previously seen as soft dupes in earlier versions.

In ‘07, we were able to replace only the most problematic Opticals, as we had neither time nor urgent to affect more. Mr. Mockoski has beautifully attended to this, an the results are spectaular, as the film was shot S35.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but the 2007 remaster was mostly taken from the 1.85:1 conversion IP right?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but the 2007 remaster was mostly taken from the 1.85:1 conversion IP right?
No. S35 camera negative. The director’s cut had only previously been finalized on video.

We began with all new 4k scans.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Exactly! But my point is that they were arguing to shoot it bright in the first place! Not alter the prints after the fact!!

Studios routinely provided drive-in density prints for almost all of their films in the 35mm days.

MarkNYLA

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
There is one shot in the Godfather Part Two that always makes me crazy when I see it. After the New Year's Party falls apart in chaos and Fredo runs off, there are scenes of people running out of the building. In one such exterior shot there was clearly piece of torn film in the camera gate during the shot, it covers the lower part of the frame. Yet, it remains in the picture. The shot in question doesn't appear to be especially important. I have always wondered what the philosophy was in leaving an obvious blunder in.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I tried watching this movie several years ago, thinking I would love it as I am a fan of the genre... but I couldn't get past the poorly choregraphed fight scene(s); it was so amateurish that it immediately dissolved any suspension of disbelief and I somehow found myself thinking that there were better ways to spend my time.

I do intend to revisit as obviously it's a classic for reasons that go beyond what bothered me at the time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
"Poorly choreographed fight scenes"??? What fight scenes? Did you just mean the singular scene where Sonny beats up Carlo? OR did you really somehow also mean when Carlo beats Connie?

There's really hardly any fight action at all -- and that one scene was just a completely one-sided beat-down, not really intended as an actual fight anyway -- and to nitpick and focus that much on the one or two poorly shot/choreographed punch (each lasting a split second) in a virtually 3-hour epic... well...

Anyway, maybe this might help add some perspective (and balance) to the nitpick on that scene I guess...

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is one shot in the Godfather Part Two that always makes me crazy when I see it. After the New Year's Party falls apart in chaos and Fredo runs off, there are scenes of people running out of the building. In one such exterior shot there was clearly piece of torn film in the camera gate during the shot, it covers the lower part of the frame. Yet, it remains in the picture. The shot in question doesn't appear to be especially important. I have always wondered what the philosophy was in leaving an obvious blunder in.
Virtually the entire 1000 foot camera roll exhibits the problem. The film chip was left in because it was always part of an Academy Aware Best Picture.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is already one of the most anticipated sets of the year for me. It may even end up being the best thing in 4K this year.

Reactions: PMF

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
And these faces and performances need to be seen on the big screen as originally imagined. Brando. What can you say about him? One of the great iconic acting performances of all time. I emotionally connected with his performance more than I ever did and could say the same for everyone in the film. So I urge everyone to buy the 4k but really try to see this restoration in a cinema.
Unfortunately, the AMC theaters in my area either pulled the film early or didn't intend to play it an entire week and I wound up missing it. I did see a trailer for the film in a theater and maybe it was just the trailer, but the level of grain was really high and it didn't look good to me, but maybe I've gotten too used to digital presentation (although I did see Licorice Pizza and Murder on the Nile in 70mm).

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Unfortunately, the AMC theaters in my area either pulled the film early or didn't intend to play it an entire week and I wound up missing it. I did see a trailer for the film in a theater and maybe it was just the trailer, but the level of grain was really high and it didn't look good to me, but maybe I've gotten too used to digital presentation (although I did see Licorice Pizza and Murder on the Nile in 70mm).
sadly just one night/one show in suburban GA as well. I would have gone multiple times.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
"Poorly choreographed fight scenes"??? What fight scenes? Did you just mean the singular scene where Sonny beats up Carlo? OR did you really somehow also mean when Carlo beats Connie?

There's really hardly any fight action at all -- and that one scene was just a completely one-sided beat-down, not really intended as an actual fight anyway -- and to nitpick and focus that much on the one or two poorly shot/choreographed punch (each lasting a split second) in a virtually 3-hour epic... well...

Anyway, maybe this might help add some perspective (and balance) to the nitpick on that scene I guess...

_Man_
Carlo beating up Connie- I don’t think there are any flubs or poor shots in that scene. I do agree with madfloyd’s point, if the Sonny beating up Carlo scene is his beef, that it could have been shot better. The Godfather is one of my top 2 favorite films
(Pulp Fiction is the other), but the one punch Sonny throws that doesn’t even come close to landing is a flub, and the kicks Sonny delivers are obvious that he was bending his knee, in an attempt to lessen the impact. My take.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks