White Boy Rick (2018)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: White Boy Rick

Tagline: Hustler. Informant. Kingpin. Legend.

Genre: Drama, Crime

Director: Yann Demange

Cast: Richie Merritt, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Bel Powley, RJ Cyler, Rory Cochrane, Eddie Marsan, Bruce Dern, Piper Laurie, Brian Tyree Henry, Taylour Paige, Jonathan Majors, Kyanna Simone Simpson, Lawrence Adimora, Brad Carter, Brian Wolfman Black Bowman, Gaynelle W. Sloman, Derrick Gilliam, Yassie Hawkes, Lauren Ashley Berry, Tyler Joseph Campbell, Joe Fishel

Release: 2018-09-14

Runtime: 116

Plot: The story of teenager, Richard Wershe Jr., who became an undercover informant for the police during the 1980s and was ultimately arrested for drug-trafficking and sentenced to life in prison.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably see it, but I'm sick of the trailer - probably seen it 10 times already!

Not sure why the trailer uses a Donna Summer song from 1977 to symbolize the 80s...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There was still some holdover from the late 1970s in the early years of the 1980s. Elements of that Giorgio Moroder sound from "I Feel Love" carried over into the new decade even after the backlash against disco.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There was still some holdover from the late 1970s in the early years of the 1980s. Elements of that Giorgio Moroder sound from "I Feel Love" carried over into the new decade even after the backlash against disco.

Given that I'm a couple of years older than the movie character, I know the era's music well.

"I Feel Love" is an odd song to promote an 80s movie. Yes, some of the Moroder sound stuck around, but it's still not something one quickly attached to the 80s.

And if they just wanted the Moroder sound, why not go with something period-accurate?

Sorry - just seems strange to me that they'd pick a song that was "old" when the movie's events took place...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"I Feel Love" had a couple of remixed releases so perhaps they're using one of those in the film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Is the song even going to be in the movie? Lots of times trailers pull that kind of bait-and-switch, or at least they used to. Dumb and Dumber used "Funkytown" in its trailer; it's nowhere in the movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the song even going to be in the movie? Lots of times trailers pull that kind of bait-and-switch, or at least they used to. Dumb and Dumber used "Funkytown" in its trailer; it's nowhere in the movie.
Good point!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I just got done watching the documentary “White Boy” on iTunes for a .99 rental. What a corrupt city Detroit was and probably still is today.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just got back from seeing it. First off, the song "I Feel Love" isn't in the film. So the marketing department probably decided to use it in the trailers and ads for some unknown reason.

I enjoyed the film. It's not something I would own, but I thought both the acting and the pacing was good. It never dragged, although it is depressing and gloomy throughout. I don't remember a single scene where it wasn't overcast. Granted, it's Detroit, but the sun does still shine there from time to time.

I wasn't familiar with the story prior to seeing it and haven't read up on the inaccuracies. So, perhaps that contributed slightly to my enjoyment. I see that it has a 61 on Metacritic and a 59 on Rotten Tomatoes. I'd probably give it somewhere between 70-75.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I just got done watching the documentary “White Boy” on iTunes for a .99 rental. What a corrupt city Detroit was and probably still is today.
That documentary ran for 82 minutes. It showed that Richard Wershe Jr was not a major player. He was an informant used by the FBI and corrupt police.
He was a creation by the local Detroit media and cops which overstated his status which in turn left him as a fall guy for corrupt cops and those with ties to Coleman Young. Gil Hill, the former Detroit cop, that played Eddie's Murphy boss in the Beverly Hills Cop films that later became the President of the Detroit City Council was a major player and target by the FBI. The FBI wanted to get Hill and Coleman Young, but weren't able to do it. However, Hill's run for Detroit mayor failed due to his corruption association. Hill's political connections were the reason why Richard Wershe Jr. stayed behind bars so many years when he should have been released much earlier for being a mid level drug dealer with no violent charges against him.

Remember the name, Gil Hill when you see this film as I don't think he's mentioned in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Hill

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks