What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Who owns the 1932 "Bill of Divorcement" with Katharine Hepburn &John Barrymore ? (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Whoever owns "Bill of Divorcement" should look in to releasing it on DVD.....not only for the initial debut of Katharine Hepburn to movies but also John Barrymore's performance and the film was directed by George Cukor. Also this film was remade 8 years later by RKO with Adolphe Menjou and Maureen O'Hara. Can any one help with where the ownership lies ?

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
So, technically, Disney (which bought ABC in 1996) owns the rights to both these films; it also owns several David O. Selznick titles, previously released on DVD through a license to MGM (i.e. Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away, Portrait of Jennie, Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious). I believe that license has since expired except for the three Hitchcock films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Justin Ray said:
So, technically, Disney (which bought ABC in 1996) owns the rights to both these films; it also owns several David O. Selznick titles, previously released on DVD through a license to MGM (i.e. Duel in the Sun, Since You Went Away, Portrait of Jennie, Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious). I believe that license has since expired except for the three Hitchcock films.
Yes, those Hitchcock films were released on Blu-ray by MGM/Fox in 2012.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Justin Ray said:
License is still in effect for a few more years. MGM just does not have any interest in doing anything with the titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
License is still in effect for a few more years. MGM just does not have any interest in doing anything with the titles.
Perhaps TT has access to them per their new agreement with MGM.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps TT has access to them per their new agreement with MGM.
I sincerely hope that comes to pass because the Selznik International titles have been stagnating on home video for a very long time. Aside from the PD material Kino tacked recently that is.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There's another Selznick/Hitchcock in that bundle: The Paradine Case. I'd love to see that film on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks