What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Who's That Girl (1987) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
97610_front.jpg

When a streetwise young woman who has served time for a crime that she didn't commit is paroled, she is put under the authority of an ambitious and straight laced attorney on the eve of his wedding. His life dissolves into chaos when he gets involved in a bid to clear her name.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Whos-That-Gi...ws-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Although many say it's a bad film, I kind of like it, so I will certainly buy it, as an old Madonna fan too in my childhood-teens.

I think it kind of IS a bad film, but one that I've always had a soft spot for, too. It takes me right back to the summer of 1987 when I was 20 (and it was a GREAT summer!)

I've always enjoyed it (plus I've forgiven Madonna for a lot worse than this!)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Although many say it's a bad film, I kind of like it, so I will certainly buy it, as an old Madonna fan too in my childhood-teens.
I never really understood the hate for this one nor Shanghai Surprise. I think many just simply didn't understand what Madonna was going for in terms of re-creating the classic screwball comedy (in Who's That Girl?) or the romantic adventure of Shanghai Surprise. They were bygone eras of film that Madonna was trying to make contemporary for the 80s. I love both and will definitely be re-buying WTG as released by Shout.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting that this is the same director who would make Glengarry Glen Ross a few years later.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I think it kind of IS a bad film, but one that I've always had a soft spot for, too. It takes me right back to the summer of 1987 when I was 20 (and it was a GREAT summer!)

I've always enjoyed it (plus I've forgiven Madonna for a lot worse than this!)
Will, it's funny the things you remember. I also have such a clear recall of WHO'S THAT GIRL. Maybe because I was surprised how awful it was. Technically speaking, it's a mess. Continuity is abysmal. Madonna's hair changes color and shape from shot to shot, and she jumps from one side of the screen to the other. Also her accent, which goes from fake-Queens to bad French and back again. Continuity-wise, nothing makes much sense. The story is more confusing than LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

The film is such a mess, it ends up being entertaining. It's just fun watching all the mistakes, the way nothing works, how people jump from one side of the screen to the other and place to place, that bricolage of strange costume changes and half-assed dialogue. Also how dazed everyone looks. Especially the deadly duo of Madonna and Griffin Dunne. who personalize that Jenny Holzer axiom, "Lack of charisma can be fatal".

But, It's oh so very 80's. The clothes and the colors and New York City, which was still kind of gritty back then. We were all younger too. The film is so trashy, it's almost profound. I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be, as someone, I think Simone Signoret, once said. But what they hey! I might get it myself. Still, it's not very good. Compared to WHO'S THAT GIRL, CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC is directed with Bressonian rigor.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Will, it's funny the things you remember. I also have such a clear recall of WHO'S THAT GIRL. Maybe because I was surprised how awful it was. Technically speaking, it's a mess. Continuity is abysmal. Madonna's hair changes color and shape from shot to shot, and she jumps from one side of the screen to the other. Also her accent, which goes from fake-Queens to bad French and back again. Continuity-wise, nothing makes much sense. The story is more confusing than LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.

The film is such a mess, it ends up being entertaining. It's just fun watching all the mistakes, the way nothing works, how people jump from one side of the screen to the other and place to place, that bricolage of strange costume changes and half-assed dialogue. Also how dazed everyone looks. Especially the deadly duo of Madonna and Griffin Dunne. who personalize that Jenny Holzer axiom, "Lack of charisma can be fatal".

But, It's oh so very 80's. The clothes and the colors and New York City, which was still kind of gritty back then. We were all younger too. The film is so trashy, it's almost profound. I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be, as someone, I think Simone Signoret, once said. But what they hey! I might get it myself. Still, it's not very good. Compared to WHO'S THAT GIRL, CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC is directed with Bressonian rigor.
Yes, it was Simone Signoret who titled her autobiography Nostalgia Isn't What It Used to Be, a philosophy that I adhere to. It's a waste of time to wax nostalgic when there is still so much to enjoy in the present.
Your reference to Bresson is a hoot!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, it was Simone Signoret who titled her autobiography Nostalgia Isn't What It Used to Be, a philosophy that I adhere to. It's a waste of time to wax nostalgic when there is still so much to enjoy in the present.
Your reference to Bresson is a hoot!
It was a lot cheaper to go to the movies. That's something to wax nostalgic about. And bad movies, like WHO'S THAT GIRL, were still being made by individuals, instead of committee. Now they're perfect but deadly. The mistakes in WHO'S THAT GIRL & CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC are charming by comparison. In spite of their awfulness, those films had personality. They also celebrated a kind of quirky outlaw beatific aspect of American culture that's now completely vanished.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Bonus Features:
🎵
NEW 2K Scan Of The 35mm Interpositive
🍎
Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Stereo English SDH
🎵
NEW Audio Commentary By Film Historian Russell Dyball
🍎
Theatrical Trailer
I wonder if the new 2K scan means it will be better than the existing hd digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks