What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release WHV Press Release: The Exorcist 50th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Unless I'm misreading the press release, it looks like the only special features on the discs are commentaries and the introduction. The digital versions contain a bunch of special features.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I had talked about this previously in other similar conversations.

I talked with someone at the studio about this years ago as I was wondering why those original Warner logos were repeatedly being replaced with new ones. That referenced Saul Bass logo was used as an example.

The answer I was given was expired licensing issues.

Whether that is currently the case, I am not aware.

Wouldn't WB own this logo in perpetuity? All they need do, I would think, would be to make sure that the parent company was current beneath it ("A Warner Bros. Discovery Company" or whatever). But what do I know?

It is no longer the case. Warner Music had the rights to the worm logo (or at least the worm logo inside of that rounded square as the current Warner Classics logo is just the lines) but they reverted back to the movie studio about five years ago.
Getting into the IP weeds, it depends on if the Bass designed logo was work-for-hire, or if Bass maintained moral rights over the logo design. Given that WB has used the logo relatively recently on some releases [The Nice Guys, for example] and that, as indicated above, WMG's licence on the logo has lapsed [and thus the label has now been renamed Warner Records, new logo and all], I would think they own the logo outright.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
rough.png

This edition showing up on Rough Cut. Not certain if it will be available through Amazon

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Totally not worth it for a nicer steelbook.

As someone who doesn't own the 40th anniversary edition, I'll gladly take the deluxe version with all the extras in one release. This is also probably the last time I'll purchase this on home video.

Shame they didn't include the CD from that VHS set years ago.

Overall, Warner doesn't seem too keen on U.S. fans. Given the film's heritage and it being the 50th anniversary, its release here in the states is rather shoddy.

Glad to see the mono track being included.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
They should have left well enough alone. The original poster artwork is not only iconic, but it's well liked by most fans of this movie.
Perhaps they were worried people would confuse the original artwork for The Exorcist with the artwork from last year's Poltergeist 4K :blink:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the original artwork the UK version includes the blu ray. It probably will be the existing blu ray. It is listed as 4 discs so both versions of the film in both 4K and blu ray I am assuming. Of course no digital copy on the UK version.

Number of Discs: 4

1691179860368.png

Robert Saccone

Premium
Over on The Digital Bits, they point out that if you want the extras on disc you will have to import the UK version as US only has the extras as digital. What a mess. Also worth reading their tongue in cheek op ed on the studios and disc output.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over on The Digital Bits, they point out that if you want the extras on disc you will have to import the UK version as US only has the extras as digital. What a mess. Also worth reading their tongue in cheek op ed on the studios and disc output.
I'm not afraid to link it here.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
50 years of still being one of the scariest films of all time and this how WB treats one of their all time cash cows.

I'll stick with the 40th Anniversary edition as by now that's gone down in price.

Shame WB didn't come up with at least one new feature to commemorate the film's golden anniversary.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

Thank you for linking that article. Not sure why Mr. Hunt opts to use thinly veiled pseudonyms in his article but it's a great article nonetheless and underlines why I am now extremely hesitant purchasing physical media, especially 4K UHD product. It is disheartening to see the slipshod treatment the studios are giving these releases. They want our money but they aren't willing to go the extra mile to get it. They want much for too little and it's quite insulting.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

It's a well-written and insightful article by someone who's been writing about physical media for more than twenty years. It was incredibly stupid and short-sighted for Hollywood studios to fire their experienced staff, who were in charge of their catalogue. And nonsensical; their physical media departments were not haemorrhaging cash. Robert Harris wrote about this a couple of years ago. Now that the studios are discovering that their streaming services are not a gold mine after all, there will be even less interest from the management in their studio's legacy. The only thing they care about, is whether their latest blockbuster will have a $300 000 000 opening weekend,

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I am interested in knowing the thought process (or lack thereof) that went into this and led the powers-that-be at WB to decide and release this 50th-anniversary edition with digital-only special features in the US and then give the UK market the special features on the physical discs + ultimate and special editions as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's a well-written and insightful article by someone who's been writing about physical media for more than twenty years. It was incredibly stupid and short-sighted for Hollywood studios to fire their experienced staff, who were in charge of their catalogue. And nonsensical; their physical media departments were not haemorrhaging cash. Robert Harris wrote about this a couple of years ago. Now that the studios are discovering that their streaming services are not a gold mine after all, there will be even less interest from the management in their studio's legacy. The only thing they care about, is whether their latest blockbuster will have a $300 000 000 opening weekend,

Yep, that’s the way it’s been in Hollywood. A studio would rather make 10m in profit on a movie that cost 100m to make than 20m in profit on a movie that cost only 30m to make

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am interested in knowing the thought process (or lack thereof) that went into this and led the powers-that-be at WB to decide and release this 50th-anniversary edition with digital-only special features in the US and then give the UK market the special features on the physical discs + ultimate and special editions as well.

Warner’s internal policy for special features (excluding audio-only bonuses like commentaries) is to put them on the BD disc. They have also generally eliminated the extra BD copy of the movies on catalog titles because, for the most part, the target audience for a UHD edition of a catalog title doesn’t have interest in a redundant BD copy. Market research has also conclusively indicated that the overwhelming majority of disc purchases aren’t decided on what special features are or aren’t included. Eliminating the BD copy in the package saves the studio money without negatively impacting their paying customers. The amount of people unwilling to purchase the item due to the lack of a BD is smaller than the cost of including the BD.

In the UK, the digital/streaming ecosystem isn’t as robust yet as it is here and so the UK branch of Warner elects to include a BD version for special features rather than a digital code for a streaming version with special features.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Warner’s internal policy for special features (excluding audio-only bonuses like commentaries) is to put them on the BD disc. They have also generally eliminated the extra BD copy of the movies on catalog titles because, for the most part, the target audience for a UHD edition of a catalog title doesn’t have interest in a redundant BD copy. Market research has also conclusively indicated that the overwhelming majority of disc purchases aren’t decided on what special features are or aren’t included. Eliminating the BD copy in the package saves the studio money without negatively impacting their paying customers. The amount of people unwilling to purchase the item due to the lack of a BD is smaller than the cost of including the BD.

In the UK, the digital/streaming ecosystem isn’t as robust yet as it is here and so the UK branch of Warner elects to include a BD version for special features rather than a digital code for a streaming version with special features.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks