What's new

Why no new HP RPMs? ** From My Perspective ** (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
New 1080p RPMs accepting 1080p input were all over the place at CEDIA from manufacturers like Sony, JVC, Mitsubishi, Samsung and many others. However, one company was notably missing from the 1080p RPM parade - Hewlett Packard. This was surprising since HP was one of two manufacturers at last year's CEDIA (the other being Brilian) offering 1080p RPMs with 1080p input. And it wasn't that HP wasn't at the show this year. In fact they were one of the major sponsors of the event (even underwriting the Kid Rock Concert where I was part of the "mosh pit" - which is another story altogether!). HP's focus, and presence this year, involved whole house automation with Media PCs, flat screen panels and a partnership with EI (Exceptional Innovations) in promoting Lifeware software. They even had a completely automated house built on property across the street from the Colorado Convention Center. Even the CEDIA badges sported the HP logo.

But where were the HP RPMs? A visit to an HP official provided at least a partial answer. Last year HP provided one of the most innovative RPM products (I actually bought one based on its performance and still marvel at the picture it produces.) As mentioned, it accepts 1080p/24 native input and is still state of the art as this is being written. During the past year the industry has finally caught up and now all the major manufacturers have 1080p input on their RPMs. I was concerned that HP had discontinued their Microdisplays but was assured that they haven't. They have simply changed their distribution and support model and will continue to support the sets out there. But since brand recognition is so important to them they have decided to concentrate on Flat panels (more suited to their whole house automation model) and leave the new RPMs to companies usually associated with TVs.

I also asked about the rumored LED models that HP talked about and was given some vague information that they, as well as most other manufacturers had "run into some delays." We did see a working Sharp LED display (50") but it was not overly impressive to me. I don't recall the exact price of the Sharp LED model (maybe Adam can chime in here).

Based on all this I have to wonder whether HP feels as I do that the days of RPMs as the display of choice are limited for all the reasons that I stated in another thread on that matter. Just some food for thought. Time will tell if I'm on the right track here. By CES or, perhaps, CEDIA 2007 we will know more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAF,
Based on what you observed at the show, did I make the right choice in buying my 65" HP? Where there other displays that large which competes with the 65" HP?

Crawdaddy

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Absolutely! Even though a lot of the others (JVC, Samsung, Sony, etc.) now have 1080p capable input sets, the HP still provides a stellar picture. It all comes down to which technology (DLP, LCoS, etc.) you are comfortable with and can actually hinge on cabinet style. To me the HP cabinet is still quite innovative with the front access to all in puts and components. And, on a personal note, the HP matches my Sanus Eurostyle racks perfectly.

The bottom line is that other 1080p sets have now caught up to the HP. If HP chooses not to add new RPM models (our models are still current and price competitive) then maybe in future years they might lag behind. But not today.

Side note: I'm heading out from Denver right now and won't be online the rest of the day. I'll address the other excellent questions and comments (yours and others) in other threads here as soon as I can get some time at my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks