What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (1 Viewer)

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Just got my set and was surprised at how small it was, considering what I've seen from review videos on YT.

Instead of the 4 DVD cases each holding 3 DVDs and a cardboard slipcase, I got a set that consists of 2 DVD cases with each holding 6 DVDs and a cardboard slipcase.

Emailed SHOUT just to confirm that it's their set. Maybe it's a repackage of the original (that also had a bonus DVD afaik), so It's staying in its shrink wrap until I get a reply from them. Hopefully I won't have to return it, since it was a pretty great deal at the $25 or so I bought it for.

I received the same set. It's 12 discs but doesn't contain the 13th bonus disk. This set is an older pressing (2004 I think). whereas the newer set has the seasons broken out into their own cases, Shout did the same thing with the Bob Newhart Show reissue issuing them by season in the box set. Looks like someone was cleaning out some excess older stock hence the $25 pricepoint.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
What you described with the cases is how I received them. Four years ago, I purchased (for cheap) the set with four DVD cases and the bonus DVD case (counterfeit). The set I received directly from Shout last week had two DVD cases. It's possible the counterfeits have resorted to the two DVD case setup.

The only way I could tell for sure was checking the DVDs in a PC. The counterfeit DVDs were single-sided. The Shout DVDs were double-sided and the video files for each episode were larger.

One thing to consider when purchasing from Shout. Once opened, you own it. You cannot return it or exchange it unless there's a problem. I'm not sure how accommodating they are with replacements.

I bring this up because I was disappointed to find out that Season 4 still has 14 of the 22 episodes in 16:9 aspect ratio. I was hoping they had it correct and it was a counterfeit issue. It isn't.

I contacted Shout about this, but so far they've ignored me. If this were an issue for someone, I would suggest going the Amazon route. At least with them you have a shot at returning it if it truly is annoying.

I bought my set directly from Amazon (they had a nice deal running on it a couple of weeks ago) and not a third party seller (which very often brings its own set of problems), so I think I'm all set on the return, if needed.

One correction - what you're most probably referring to are single and dual LAYER discs. One sided and two sided discs are a completely different thing.

I received the same set. It's 12 discs but doesn't contain the 13th bonus disk. This set is an older pressing (2004 I think). whereas the newer set has the seasons broken out into their own cases, Shout did the same thing with the Bob Newhart Show reissue issuing them by season in the box set. Looks like someone was cleaning out some excess older stock hence the $25 pricepoint.

I think that it's the other way around. The original Shout set that released in 2014 was the 13 disc one with the seasons in separate cases. Companies usually downsize their sets when a re-issue/re-package happens to lower the cost down.

This appears to be a re - package and is the same one Shout is currently offering on their website, as confirmed by @Mifr44 , who ordered his set directly from the Shout store about a week or two ago.

You and I just managed to snag a pretty great deal, cause that price was being offered straight from Amazon themselves and was simply too tempting to pass up on.

Last edited:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Regarding the aspect ratio issue with several Season 4 episodes, I should clarify what's happening.

If I access the individual episode VOBs directly (*_01.VOB), the aspect ratio for 14 of the 22 Season 4 episodes is 16:9.

If I pop the DVD into a Blu-Ray/DVD player and go through the DVD menus (or through MPC-HC on the PC via the VIDEO_TS.IFO file), the aspect ratio is 4:3 for those episodes.

It appears the adjoining *_00.VOB files have the 4:3 aspect ratio set, but extracting the episodes in order to make audio (and maybe video) changes, the VOBs themselves are 16:9.

Last edited:

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Regarding the aspect ratio issue with several Season 4 episodes, I should clarify what's happening.

If I access the individual episode VOBs directly (*_01.VOB), the aspect ratio for 14 of the 22 Season 4 episodes is 16:9.

If I pop the DVD into a Blu-Ray/DVD player and go through the DVD menus (or through MPC-HC on the PC via the VIDEO_TS.IFO file), the aspect ratio is 4:3 for those episodes.

It appears the adjoining *_00.VOB files have the 4:3 aspect ratio set, but extracting the episodes in order to make audio (and maybe video) changes, the VOBs themselves are 16:9.
All professional DVDs are coded at 720×480 resolution (3:2 aspect ratio). The display is stretched/squashed to 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the flag in the IFO file. I'm not sure why you're getting different results in different seasons, but accessing the VOB files without going through the IFO file can lead to aspect ratio (and other) problems because your player is accessing the video without the metadata needed to understand the intended playback settings. You may find other issues for some releases, such not automatically turning on forced subtitles for translations.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
I bought my set directly from Amazon (they had a nice deal running on it a couple of weeks ago) and not a third party seller (which very often brings its own set of problems), so I think I'm all set on the return, if needed.

One correction - what you're most probably referring to are single and dual LAYER discs. One sided and two sided discs are a completely different thing.

I think that it's the other way around. The original Shout set that released in 2014 was the 13 disc one with the seasons in separate cases. Companies usually downsize their sets when a re-issue/re-package happens to lower the cost down.

This appears to be a re - package and is the same one Shout is currently offering on their website, as confirmed by @Mifr44 , who ordered his set directly from the Shout store about a week or two ago.

You and I just managed to snag a pretty great deal, cause that price was being offered straight from Amazon themselves and was simply too tempting to pass up on.
The 12 disc sets are the original releases, they have a copyright of 2001 on them. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the lack of the bonus disc 13 in the newer sets but maybe someone can confirm if the episodes are the same or not in both sets

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
The 12 disc sets are the original releases, they have a copyright of 2001 on them. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the lack of the bonus disc 13 in the newer sets but maybe someone can confirm if the episodes are the same or not in both sets

I'm not sure what you're on about, but the show didn't make it onto DVD until 2007 when season 1 got released.

Shout got the rights in 2014 and released the 13 disc set then which later became the 12 disc set during a further printing. It's even written on their store page for the complete series as a disclaimer.

The current iteration is a repackage with less DVD cases.

All of this has been confirmed and double checked for me by Shout via email, but you can believe what you will, I don't care 🤷

Last edited:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
a little thread bump. did the alt. contest using the FOX set, pasting over the credits with the nicolette larson & lip-gloss bit from the syndicated copy. simple to do. pleased with how it turned out. hadn't seen the shiavelli wrap-up in years! used to be i wasn't sure which one i preferred. when the shout box came out i really liked the original broadcast tag, and over time i just got used to that version.​
With the dual layered box set now in my possession, I revisited this episode to see about making a second version with the alternate (and apparently more well-known) ending. After struggling with it for a few hours, I gave up.

A combination of mediocre video editing skills and what appears to be a mediocre video of the second ending. I don't have Season 1 of the Fox DVD - actually, I did years ago, but none of the three disks would play completely, so it got tossed.

As it is, I've come to dislike this episode after the contest has been decided and Travis leaves the booth. The rest of the episode in either ending annoys me. I found the suits vs dungerees angle rather blah.

You have the original version (on the Shout DVD), with the station losing an additional $5,000 due to the incompetence of Herb, Les, and the Big Guy. Yet, at the end, Fever is given blame for the station losing $10,000. Uh, no!

In the re-shoot, the 1:30 spent with the Big Guy and Jennifer in his office was pointless. And fading out the episode with a traffic view of Cincinnati and Fever playing Lotta Love? Yeah, like that would happen. /end rant

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
I'm not sure what you're on about, but the show didn't make it onto DVD until 2007 when season 1 got released.

Shout got the rights in 2014 and released the 13 disc set then which later became the 12 disc set during a further printing. It's even written on their store page for the complete series as a disclaimer.

The current iteration is a repackage with less DVD cases.

All of this has been confirmed and double checked for me by Shout via email, but you can believe what you will, I don't care 🤷
Sorry was just referring to the copyright on the box set and discs themselves that all show 2001. Excuse the mistake.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sorry was just referring to the copyright on the box set and discs themselves that all show 2001. Excuse the mistake.
I have the counterfeit box set and the one shipped from Shout, and they both indicate a copyright date from Fox of 2001 on the box sets. Having this date is no indication it is legit or counterfeit. In fact, I would expect the writing on the counterfeit to be nearly the same.

Last edited:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So, I've managed to create a version of The Contest Nobody Could Win with the second (more well-known) ending. It isn't great, but it's fine for an episode that isn't a favorite.

I also created a version of Mike Fright with the full beginning (Who Listens to the Radio inserted) and Rock and Roll Music substituted in its proper spot in the episode. The available video I have for the missing 10 seconds or so is painfully overblown and lacking detail, but that's the only way I get the original music back. I tried my best to the darken the video and balance the colors a bit, along with reducing the stretch and inserting similar padding to the Shout DVD.

Next comes A Mile in My Shoes. I really want Get Off of My Cloud in that episode, but the available audio is horrible, both for the music and for Venus speaking/yelling over the music. Not sure what I can do to fix this one. The process continues, painfully slow.

mydogpeabodynsherman

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Guenther
I've work third shift stocking shelves at a local grocery store. I was working during covid.
I have a lot of time to watch dvds. I've gifted the WKRP set to friends and family members.
On to WKRP. I enjoyed the original airings but have a question and two comments.
Did anyone watch the CBS airing of filthy pictures because I recall the episode being shown as a one hour special. Antenna TV also aired it as a one hour episode by cutting out the end credits on the first part. Watch Gary Sandy's face when Carlson says "As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly." You have to wonder if they did that in one take.
On the Shout Factory set the song Hot Blooded is cut as well as some dialog in the before credits scene. The macho wig ad is played twice once before the opening credits and than a second time when Hot Blooded is played a second time. This sets up the joke perfectly.
I recall an episode where Johnny is sick or something and Les says "It could be your joints John."
Thus showing Les is well aware Fever does weed.
Whenever Antenna tv showed Turkeys Away during their Thanksgiving marathons they showed an apparent Christmas replay of it with Gary Sandy telling the audience that the episode got the most mail of any episode they aired. I was surprised Shout Factory doesn't have this version of Turkeys Away on this set.
Anyone else recall the announcer mispronouncing Cinncinnatti as Cinncinnatta in the first couple of episodes when they went to the break?
Did anyone ever watch the New WKRP in Cinncinatti. It wasn't bad especially when episodes had Jennifer and Johnny doing guest appearances.
I wish Shout would put it out on dvd.

My personal favorite episode nobody ever mentions is the consultant where Andy's buddy is hired by Mama Carlson. Every character/cast member at the station acts "normal". Ex Herb talks and dresses in a good suit and talks normal not like a jerk,Les is very funny not being the Les we know,Bailey acts like a stoner and does the M&M's commercial,Jennifer acts like an airhead,Mr. Carlson is shown actually working,and the funniest bit Venus confronts Johnny in the back hallway. Great episode from I think the fourth season.

mydogpeabodynsherman

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Guenther
David Letterman just two weeks ago spent an entire segment on how he wanted to have Paul play an Eagles song and the stage manager/producer (whomever she was at his left) said "STOP" - 'you cannot use an Eagles song on a TV show or you'll get sued" - they checked with their legal counsel, who also confirmed that The Eagles won't 'stoop to using their music on TV shows' - then Dave threw out a number of $250,000 - and I don't know if he was serious, or not, but seemed to indicate that was the going rate if you really wanted to use an Eagles song by his band to introduce a guest. Amazing how he spent 6-7 minutes making the Eagles look like a bunch of pigs for a quarter mil for just a 30 second segment of their music.
Obviously, Shout! can't justify a quarter mil for either the Eagles, Pink Floyd or The Beatles. Granted, I'd love to have the dog bark segment with Pink Floyd intact, but it just isn't financially feasible.

Also, here's some video they probably don't have: "Andy" is shown leaning against a desk saying, "During this Christmas season we wanted to show our most requested show" and it segued into the 'Turkey's Away' episode. Wonder if that video introduction was just for syndication and if that intro segment that he made was included - but it would have been while they were still filming the show a year or two later. Perhaps it was the same amount of time as the cut Pink Floyd segment? Anybody recall that?

PS: Thanks Brian!
If you check my post from 2024 I mention that Antenna tv also aired that version of Turkeys Away.

mydogpeabodynsherman

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Guenther
Fact is SHOUT only lincensed these songs and the show for 5 years or less.

Also the fact is SHOUT SHOULD HAVE HAS A HIGHER MSRP THAN 139.99, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN 179.99 or so SO THEY WOULD HAVE HAD THE $$$ for the complete songs & would not have ruined the show by edited scenes out of the show.

Also SHOUT did not have WKRP uber fans / experts working with them on the set. O what could have been IF SHOUT had done it right, 95% is not good enough

This show caters to a smaller audience than the modern day garbage and we have wanted the show 100% intact for years, yet SHOUT makes this a budget release, would have paid 179.99 or more, so SHOUT cheats consumers AGAIN... ala HAZEL using 30 year old videotape elements to release a filmed show like HAZEL

ALSO calling WKRP the complete series is BULL - it is not complete.

ALL you people patting SHOUT on the back should be ashamed of yourselves, this set is a failure to what fans deserve, excepting anything less than 100% episodes as ORIGNALLY aired is pathetic. It is pathetic what people except today, excepting less than 100% work just leads companies to say ok, we can rip consumers and they will still except it.

Also you wonder how SHOUT could afford songs couldnt, not cause of the 7 years since released, but because SHOUT licenses them for a limited time, BUT SHOUT was too cheap to do 100% and charge more for the set, when they would have sold even more than they are now cause of the edits and rela fans of the show would have paid the extra $$$ to get it complete, not this edited mess.
You remind me of a one time idiot friend who complained about Batman missing some minor scenes on the tv series set.

I'd rather have this version than no version of WKRP.

If you REALLY want to complain about something try watching old H-B cartoon shorts from the sixties. When Warners started rerunning the cartoon advetures of Yogi,Huck,etc they edited down the great Hoyt Curtain themes for each character. Even worse when Ted Turner started airing Huckleberry Hound shorts on TNT and elsewhere the theme was muted entirely.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
ALSO calling WKRP the complete series is BULL - it is not complete.

ALL you people patting SHOUT on the back should be ashamed of yourselves, this set is a failure to what fans deserve, excepting anything less than 100% episodes as ORIGNALLY aired is pathetic. It is pathetic what people except today, excepting less than 100% work just leads companies to say ok, we can rip consumers and they will still except it.

You remind me of a one time idiot friend who complained about Batman missing some minor scenes on the tv series set.

I'd rather have this version than no version of WKRP.

Have said this before (OT), but I think it still bears repeating-- I feel the same way about Universal's releases (single-season and all-in-one) of Emergency!, in that quite a bit of that 70s NBC medical/action series (much of the third season, almost all of the fourth, and all of the fifth) was presented with a good bit of film splotches, tears, and in general, blurriness (it wasn't HD, in other words), but I still took it and enjoyed it because, to be honest, even though those seasons are presented in HD on Cozi TV, the excessive amount of commercials takes away from the aesthetic of a very-well-done show (much better than almost all firefighting and medical shows are today, IMO), so in that case, the choice was obvious: either take it as is on DVD, w/the film damage and artifacts, or suffer through beaucoup commercials that would ruin an impressive HD presentation (I chose the former, and have never regretted it).

And believe it or not, as @Flashgear pointed out on the review thread of that first-season release of Mr. Novak (I may be incorrect), one episode had a tear in the film for a brief time (34 seconds, IIRC), but that was overlooked because of the content of the series, and how those who had Warner Archive's release were enjoying it for what the show was about (a 60s NBC hit [albeit short-lived] about the titular conflicted/idealistic high school teacher, played by James Franciscus).

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oof.. Third post and already a back-handed insult related to a comment made 10 years ago. This should go, well, nowhere.
:popcorn:
Part of me wants to reply to that post... and clear up music issues... but we all know why certain songs were unable to be licensed and accept that it just couldn't be done. Shout's not to blame. That falls squarely on the people who hold the rights to the missing songs, which may not even be the artists who wrote and/or recorded the songs. Some people just don't understand the music publishing business, who owns what, and how things get licensed. Nothing's changed...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I saw the Shout! WKRP dvd set at Wal*Mart (SuperCenter) for $39.9X. IT appears to be a repacking of the the original set - Chipvboard cover with two cases inside with two seasons each case and probably no extra disc.

It looks similar to this ...
1712077125587.png

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Shout did the same thing with the Bob Newhart Show reissue issuing them by season in the box set.

Do you have a picture of this year's Bob Newhart redo?

I saw the Shout! WKRP dvd set at Wal*Mart (SuperCenter) for $39.9X. IT appears to be a repacking of the the original set - Chipvboard cover with two cases inside with two seasons each case and probably no extra disc.

It looks similar to this ...
View attachment 218486

That's exactly the way I got it at the Walmart in Simpsonville a time back, only mine was $20 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks