What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

You'll Like My Mother 1972 (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I screened Shout Factory's blu-ray of this last night. I had never seen the film before. I liked it... It fits in that 70s genre of bee-yotch queen horror movies that included Who Slew Auntie Roo? and Whatever Happened to Aunt Helen? The casting is very strange, with both Patty Duke and Richard Thomas cast totally against type, but they are both fantastic actors and pulled it off perfectly.

The film is VERY suspenseful and uncomfortable- almost too much so. But that is a good thing. The retarded "sister/cousin" was a nice touch and gave John Boy someone to beat up instead of pregnant Patty Duke. Great spooky old house! One of the best I've seen in movies, and they really lit it and staged using it fantastically as well.

The transfer is perfect to my eyes with good skin tones and lots of detail in the exterior snow scenes. Inside the house, the shadows are deliberately dialed down to pitch black, so there isn't a lot of detail in the shadows, but that is a 70s cinematic style choice, not a problem with the transfer. It kind of feels like an episode of Night Gallery, which isn't surprising because it's a Universal picture produced by Bing Crosby Productions. But it was shot entirely on location in Wisconsin which breaks it out of the TV backlot mold. (I wonder if that cool spooky house is still there?!)

Overall, a nice gritty 70s suspense roller coaster ride with all kinds of subtexts and sick ideas that rarely are allowed in movies any more. Glad I got it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

nobajoba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I just bought this movie. I really liked it. Like you said it is almost uncomfortable at times but great suspense and no gore. I thought the acting was superb by all of them. One note- the movie was filmed in Duluth Minnesota at the Glensheen Mansion. And yes, it is still there. It now operates as a museum where they give guided tours.

I thought the blu ray transfer was outstanding considering the age of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks