What's new
World Wide Stereo

120 Frames Per Second TV's (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok, so I have read about the mits Blu-Ray player that is supposedly going to do 3D on the fly, but they say you need a 120 frames per second from your tv to do it.

Now ive got a Sony SXRD its a 55KDS2000.

The technical specs on the tv say the refresh rate is 2.5ms up and down, thats 400 refreshes per second.

Now this of course indicates to me that my TV could do more than 120 frames per second, but when i contacted Sony they said that no it cant.

Does anyone know if this is correct, cause to be blunt the rep i spoke to on the phone was not the brightest bulb in the drawer and im not sure she even knew what i was asking.

I guess my big thought is i would hate to have to replace my tv just for 3D but if it looks good then i likely will :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I *think* this is the answer: refresh rate is different than frames per sec. Most HDTVs do 60Hz frame rates. That why those that can do 72Hz are a really big deal, because then 1080p24 to 72Hz is an even integer mulitple of 3. At 60Hz, it's 2.5, and I think the word that describes the problems that can occur because of that is judder. Refresh rate though is the rate at which the screen elements (pixels I suppose) are refreshed due to the internal electronics of the display. Not how fast the frames are being delivered to the display. I don't think there are actually any commercially available displays (at reasonable prices) that do any higher than 72 Hz.

More here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=904931

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hmmmm interesting.

The sony phone drone i spoke to did say that there are tv's that do 120 fps and mentioend a few LCD models, the bravia line of course.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
But AFAIK, there's nothing to *deliver* a 120 Hz frame rate to a display like that. If you read through the link above, 120 Hz for LCDs is meant to minimize motion lag.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I don't know if this has changed yet, but the early 120Hz displays available that I have seen don't accept a 120Hz signal. The take a standard 60Hz signal and interpolate it internally to 120Hz. So even if you had a 120Hz source, it wouldn't matter. Has this changed at all? Couldn't a PC deliver a 120Hz signal for such a display?

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks