What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"300" Review in October S&V? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Edit: OK, my point stands, but I got my facts wrong. Here is the real stuff.

BR gets 3.5 stars. HD-DVD gets 4. So says Josef Krebs.

Unless I am mistaken, both formats use the exact same VC1 encode (So says High-Def Digest). So, is Mr. Krebbs reviewing the discs, or the machines he is using to play them back?????

He swapped his preference for audio though, giving the nod to BR. But again, is this an apples to apples comparo????

Have not had a chance to watch either myself, but found this rather odd.

Brian

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Widescreen Review gives a PQ of 4 and AQ of 4 to both BD and HD

HighDef-Digest a PQ of 4 and AQ of 5 to both BD and HD. Every review I have read gives the same equal rating between the two formats.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

He´s just one reviewer of many and merely giving his opinion. Review is not the same thing as "ultimate truth" or "fact". In the end, it´s always just opinion and should be there to give some "guidelines" to people.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Keep in mind that PQ and AQ are subjective. While the quality can be measured in objective terms, reviewers will frequently choose what subjectively "looks" or "sounds" best to them, regardless of of objective factors like bitrate, sampling rate, etc.

We are not all blessed with the same eyes and ears; for example, I have difficulties with LCD projectors because my eyes are sensitive to the "gaps" between pixels. However, I rarely if ever notice similar gaps on DLP, although colour wheels are very noticeable to me.

In the end, all reviews when it comes to PQ and AQ should be taken with a grain of salt, as it will all depend on your subjective preferences.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I don't think my point is getting across. I agree with the comments, but.....

The man is saying that there is a difference between supposedly identical pieces of software. If both formats are using the same VC1 encode, then any difference would be in his players, not the software, and to say otherwise is intellectually dishonest. Unless of course THERE IS a difference in the encodes, which would certainly be interesting to know.

Brian

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which is exactly why I said it is subjective, and pointed to the comparison of LCD projectors and DLP projectors. We know that products of both types are capable of delivering the same resolution, even when reading inputs from the same sources. I've explained my subjective preference, and it may be that this reviewer has the same sort of subjective preference re: BD and HD DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks